PDA

View Full Version : You Might Be a Civil War Reenactor If…

Charles Weathers
12-19-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm sure many of you have seen this but I still wanted to share! ;)

You Might Be a Civil War Reenactor If…

• If your $20,000 car sits out in the weather so your $200 tent can stay in the garage...you might be a reenactor
• If you drive by some open land and think, "What a great place for a Battle!"...
• If most of the clothes you own went out of style over 135 years ago...
• If you've made a vehicle purchase decision based on how well it can accomodate your tent poles...
• If you've ever uttered the phrase, "only 68 more days til our next event"...
• If sleeping in a leaky tent in the rain and mud is your idea of a fun Saturday night...
• If you've ever worn wool when the temperature tops 100 repeatedly...
• If there are half-completed sewing projects decorating your furniture...
• If you've ever made a career decision based on its impact on your reenacting weekends...
• If your friends refuse to attend any historic movie dramas with you...
• If you can spot 100% wool at 30 yards...
• If your kids can correct their history teachers...
• If your mailman is confused as to what rank you hold in the reserves...
• If you have been asked at a gas station if you're Amish...
• If your birthday and Christmas list reads like a quartermaster's request for supplies...
• If you believe that your brogans are the most comfortable shoes that you own...you might be a reenactor.

MBond057
12-19-2008, 04:02 PM
I’m guilt! My cannon and limber set in my garage, while my truck weathers the elements. :D

Happy Holidays to everyone!

John McClellan
12-19-2008, 04:26 PM
If you see a attractive woman in the real world and think, man she'd look good in a hoop dress.;)
John McClellan

Blair
12-19-2008, 04:29 PM
My '62 Gating Gun lives in mine. I got to find away to charge it rent!
Blair Taylor

sbl
12-19-2008, 05:06 PM
..or not.

http://www.pettipond.com/laterimages/images_z/the_perfect_lady.png

MBond057
12-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Blair,

Happy Holidays!

If you figure out the rent please keep me in the loop. :)

Blair
12-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks Mark.
You and yours have a Happy Holiday too.
Blair

Ross L. Lamoreaux
12-19-2008, 07:49 PM
..or not.

Man Scott, you must need a passport for all the time you've been spending on French websites!

sbl
12-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Actually the model is British!

You know that you are a reenactor when you've been reading "You might be a reenactor" lists since the the late 1970s. ;)

Slickrick214
12-20-2008, 04:16 AM
I'm sure many of you have seen this but I still wanted to share! ;)

• If you drive by some open land and think, "What a great place for a Battle!"...

That’s definitely me. In fact there is a farm along my route to school where I have been so bored while being stuck in traffic that I've planned out a whole re-enactment (well kind off). I have both Union and Confederate camps planned out and also a few battle scenarios that would make great use of the terrain. This farm has a lot of rolling hills and valleys that would be great for artillery and infantry skirmishes. The land itself is pretty amazing too. Except for the four lane highway that runs right next to the farm the rest of the land and the surrounding area is untouched. You could really feel like your back in the late 19th century.

wheres_my_horse
12-20-2008, 10:50 AM
If your birthday and Christmas list reads like a quartermaster's request for supplies...

Quilty as charged.

3rd_PA_Artillery
12-20-2008, 12:57 PM

Yup, that's me. I've actually planned out a fantasy where I have the world's largest Civil War reenactment in the little valley that my town is situated in. All my town is is just a couple dozen houses that have sprung up around a crossroads, then surrounded by fields of wheat, corn, and wild grass, which is what several Civil War battlefields actually were. This reenactment would be great! I've planned out lines for artillery on the ridgelines, and if I could somehow get the consent of the townsfolk, we could have some great house-to-house, yard-to-yard fighting! And the fields would be just beautiful for an infantry skirmish here and there, maybe a cavalry fight. I know, its pretty far-flung and it could probably never happen, but it would be a nice idea sometime.

• If your friends refuse to attend any historic movie dramas with you...

I recently asked my friends if they wanted to go see that new Valkyrie movie with me after Christmas. Each one declined.

• If your kids can correct their history teachers...

I correct my history teacher each day! I make it my daily mission to correct him! He knows I mean no disrespect to him and he takes it all light-heartedly, but I just feel it is my duty to make sure my fellow classmates get it all down. :D In fact, he tells me he's thinking of letting me help him teach once we get to the Civil War unit of the book.

RWelker
12-20-2008, 01:11 PM
I recently asked my friends if they wanted to go see that new Valkyrie movie with me after Christmas. Each one declined.

They declined? How could they? (heh, my friends don't go to history movies with me any more either.)

As for the list, yeah, my dad and I usually give Civil War themed gifts. I think on my birthday nearly all the gifts were civil war themed.

Slickrick214
12-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Yup, that's me. I've actually planned out a fantasy where I have the world's largest Civil War reenactment in the little valley that my town is situated in. All my town is is just a couple dozen houses that have sprung up around a crossroads, then surrounded by fields of wheat, corn, and wild grass, which is what several Civil War battlefields actually were. This reenactment would be great! I've planned out lines for artillery on the ridgelines, and if I could somehow get the consent of the townsfolk, we could have some great house-to-house, yard-to-yard fighting! And the fields would be just beautiful for an infantry skirmish here and there, maybe a cavalry fight. I know, its pretty far-flung and it could probably never happen, but it would be a nice idea sometime.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who is crazy enough to plan out a whole re-enactment when looking at open land.

Tiger_rifles
12-20-2008, 05:44 PM
You might be a reenactor if...
...you've ever been chased out of a SCV/ SUV meeting for "Spreading lies about our glorious forefathers!"

...you can identify a regiment by the curses heard from their camp. (Son of a who?)

...you can't sing without a mug of something in your hand.

...you have ever spent over 300 dollars on clothes that went out of style over 200 years ago.

...you have ever replayed "Gettysburg" 25 times in a row just to get a glimpse of your foot in the left-hand corner of the screen.

...you've ever fondled your musket lovingly.

...you consider life's essentials to be black powder and booze!

...you've ever gotten laid under canvas

...your employer says: "Oh, are you going out to play that war crap again?"

...your dinner guests see one of your uniforms and exclaims "Are you in a theater production?"

...your neighbor's dog is barking due to the high frequency pitch of the fifes playing in your back yard.

...you've stockpiled lots of candles by the back door as a reminder not to forget them.

...you travel over 2000 miles to sleep in tent, at an historic site.

...you've yelled at an 1840's Rendezvous "Flintlocks forever! Nipples are for Squaws!"

...used your musket to kill something to eat.

...spent over $1000 for a gun that has to have a sharp rock in it to work.

...named and have slept with your musket.

...put on your "Real" clothes just to look at yourself in the mirror.

...don't participate in games that encourage the throwing away of your weapon.

...think a "match" is a glowing cord.

...you've sat in a theater with your friends and puzzled the audience by laughing through most of "Revolution" starring Al Pacino.

...for Men: You're at the beach and a young beauty passes by in a thong swimsuit, and you fantasize about how great she'd look in a "robe anglais."

...for Ladies: At the beach, Mr. Beefcake swaggers by, and you admire the turn of his calf.

...you've bought or made lead dice.

...you know by heart the lines to: Zulu, Zulu Dawn, The Four Feathers, and ANY Monty Python skit.

...you and your spouse are in direct competition over who gets to wear more plumes.

...you've received flint cuts, pan flash burns, pulled off ticks, been infested by chiggers, gotten poison ivy, and still look forward to camping out every time.

...if there are a couple of cannon balls on stairs.

...if your house needs a coat of paint.

...if on holidays half the bowls and cups on the dinner table are hand thrown reproductions or tin.

...if there are two or three muskets stacked in the parlor corner.

...your neighbors talk about how your house smells of rotten eggs on Mondays.

...on Monday your business associates comment on the funny tan/sunburn line.

...your reenacting wardrobe is more valuable than your business attire.

...you have more reenacting shoes than 20th century shoes.

...you spend more on a pair of reenacting shoes than on your "dress" shoes.

...you earn a good salary, but are always broke.

...you fly strange flags on Flag Day.

...your vanity tag gets lots of comment (Fusilier; 1st NH; 2SC).

...your business associates are afraid to walk into your office. (Is that grenade on your desk real?)

...your freezer is full of candles (makes 'em burn longer - really!)

...you're on PETA's hit list (we love animals; we eat them and wear their skins).

...you have more closet space devoted to costumes than "real" clothes.

...you get the "flux" on the way back home.

...in the middle of summer, you dread wearing a short-sleeved shirt in your air-conditioned office, while you can't wait to get to the next event, where you can dress in a long sleeved shirt, with a vest, wool coat, hat, and carry around 40 or 50 pounds of bulky gear on your back, while firing away with your musket, and then relaxing next to your cookfire.

...you have ever been asked at a gas station if you are Amish.

...you have ever assessed road kill as lunch meat potential.

...you win Halloween costume competitions - hands down.

...if you answered any or all of the following questions from the public; Is that a real fire?, Is that a real baby?, Is that real food and do you eat it?, Did you sleep here last night?, Do you sleep in that?, Is that a real sword?, Can that gun shoot?, Do you use real bullets?, Aren't you hot?, Do you get wet if it rains?, Is that hair real?, What did they use for toilet paper?, Are you from the North or the South? (At a Rev War event), Asked by a kid after a battle: "Did you really die?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sbl
12-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Paul,

I like this list to. It's more of the BadAss reenactor list. The eighth one down is like the "mile high club" but I didn't think any CW/WBTS folks belonged. :)

hanktrent
12-20-2008, 06:57 PM
..or not.

You might be a Civil War reenactor if...

...you look at that photo and think, isn't she wearing her late 1860s cage backwards and without its bustle?

...you suspect an actual red corset like that (not a photoshopped one:confused: ) would probably leave stains on the chemise that would be a pain to wash out after the event.

...you think, if she's like my wife, there's going to be bitching when she realizes she got that far dressed without remembering to put on her shoes first.

However, it does lend a whole new meaning to "are you hot in those clothes?"

Hank Trent
hanktrent@voyager.net

Charles Weathers
12-20-2008, 08:33 PM
...if there are two or three muskets stacked in the parlor corner.

...if you've ever used the word parlor as a natural expression. :p

sbl
12-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Hank,

I didn't want to post a photo of anyone "real" or still alive. At least the model has her chemise tucked inside of her drawers.

sbl
12-20-2008, 08:54 PM
I use nautical terms around the house. A while after my daughter was toilet trained she got up and announced that she was going to the "head." The "sinks" never caught on.

We used to visit a couple that LIVED 19th Century in Sommerville, Mass. My wife would sing "their house is a museum.." from the Addams Family TV show theme song. Two Christmas Trees! One regular, one 1860s, with candles and period decorations in the "parlor."

tater
12-21-2008, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=Tiger_rifles]You might be a reenactor if...

...you've ever fondled your musket lovingly...[QUOTE]

Yes, Yes I have...

I did convince some lady at a Barnhills that it was Amish Spring Break one time....

Poor Private
12-21-2008, 11:51 PM
You show up at family reunions in your fancy civilian duds.
Your dress shoes are your $250 civ war high boots.
You pull out your wool about Feb. to smell the smoke.
You buy another BP pistol because you now have an extra holster that needs filled.
You love to take your weapon out in the back pasture and fire to see and smell the smoke.
You wonder how they coped with blizzards like todays (12-21-08).

And yes even at 55 I still see some lay of the land as: Cool wouldn't that make a great reenactment location.

MBond057
12-22-2008, 01:10 AM
Cris,

The smell of smoke and itchy wool is what it’s all about. ;) I just can’t figure out why more don’t join the fun. :confused:

Have a warm Holiday Season!

8th TexCav
12-22-2008, 10:31 AM
...The only tack you own or your horse has ever had on went out of style in 1874.
...You wear your Tim Bender hat even while rounding up cows.
...You not only read but post on this forum while you are supposed to be working.

Cove Rebel
12-22-2008, 11:47 AM
...if you understand that the word "need" has nothing to do with the buying and selling of uniform items

...if you ever watched an episode of a TV show just because the word 'Gettysburg' was in the title (Without a Trace)

...if your friends at work think you are some kind of survivalist simply because you know how to do things that were common only 100 years ago

...if your modern soldiers in your guard unit hate you because you can always tell them how their situation could be worse. :D (My personal favorite)

bizzilizzit
12-22-2008, 01:17 PM
...if you are fascinated (instead of repulsed) by the black stuff that you blow out of your nose after two days of cooking over an open fire.

...if you wear your corset during housework in your 21st century home.

...if you prefer non-electrical gadgets in your kitchen.

Charles Weathers
12-22-2008, 01:59 PM
...if you know what cast iron is.
...if you know how to use cast iron.
...if you actually eat REAL food cooked on cast iron over an open fire.
...if you know how to build a fire.
...if everyone else is amazed you know how to use cast iron.
...if cast iron is used daily in your home.

bizzilizzit
12-22-2008, 03:41 PM
...if you actually eat REAL food cooked on cast iron over an open fire.

Dang! I didn't know I was supposed to EAT it! At least, that's what the spectators tell me...

Cove Rebel
12-22-2008, 04:56 PM
I had a nurse tell me one time that I should be sick eating from my tin pan and cup. She was amazed that I had never been sick from reenacting food.

Little rust here and there never hurt nobody. :D

Julio C. Zangroniz
12-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Folks,
I own (and use) more cast iron cooking implements than I do "regular" or modern pots and pans. I have purchased every single piece of at least five cast iron cooking implements at auction or yard sales, usually for pennies on the dollar. I'm very proud of that. I don't remember EVER purchasing a single piece of modern cookware.
Just today, I enjoyed a mixture of three fresh vegetables with scallops and strips of fresh pineapple for lunch. My stomach is still singing praises to my cooking wisdom and capabilities.
For the record, my wife does own a modern set of pots and pans, but I am officially forbidden from touching any of it, because, invariably, as she puts it, "you scorch and ruin everything."
In the interest of matrimonial peace, I usually follow her directives. What level-headed husband doesn't? Unless he wants to start dealing with lawyers on a regular basis?
Does my kitchen situation then, make me, officially, a reenactor?
Thanks in advance for your input, for I'm still trying to "find myself."
Julio

Pete K
12-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Guess all of my Boy Scouts are potential Re-enactors! I love making little guys carry heavy stuff. (he he he)

Elaine Kessinger
12-23-2008, 05:05 PM
...or you and your loved one are taking a nice promenade through the forest and spy a nice secluded copse of trees and brush, you turn to each other with a wicked gleem in the eye, and think/say, "Canvas? HaHa. WE don't need no stinking canvas!"
They don't call it a Great Coat for nothing.:)

sbl
12-23-2008, 06:01 PM
http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/embarassed.gif

14thoviteenreenactor
12-23-2008, 09:17 PM
if your friends have seen you in your reenacting clothes so many times they have stopped asking why you are dressed so weird or if they have even asked that question.

ILYankee5
12-23-2008, 09:41 PM
if your friends have seen you in your reenacting clothes so many times they have stopped asking why you are dressed so weird or if they have even asked that question.

Hahahaha! That one was good. How about this one.... Or several of your pards comment on how odd everyone looks in modern day clothes.

Parault
12-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Hahahaha! That one was good. How about this one.... Or several of your pards comment on how odd everyone looks in modern day clothes.
That is so true........Some of them I wouldn't recognize in modern attire.

reb64
12-23-2008, 11:21 PM
I would add if.. you ask a male friend if your new trousers make your butt look big,; if you discuss the cut of your underdrawers with your male freinds; and if you willing to pose like a dandy, and show off your latest fashions in front of your buds.

tompritchett
12-23-2008, 11:36 PM

if your new students ask if you are amish.

if a stranger sees you at work and asks which side you fight for.

celtfiddler
12-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Your coworkers dread the prospect of you participating in the halloween costume contests

Your library of research materials rivals the town library's

You take days off work to spend at libraries and other research facilities (guilty as charged on this one)

majdoc
12-24-2008, 09:07 AM
If you are sitting on the beach watching all the young woman in the scimpy bikini's and wondering what they would look like in a Ball Gown or Hoop Skirt.
You might be a reenactor

sbl
12-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Or................

http://i22.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/16/f7/982d_12.JPG

Cove Rebel
12-24-2008, 12:44 PM
...or if you are starting out your Christmas Eve by reading a CW Forum... :D

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!:p

14thoviteenreenactor
12-24-2008, 03:08 PM

That's happened to me actually except we did not recognize each other at first. When we realized we knew each other we were surprised. :rolleyes:

ILYankee5
12-24-2008, 03:31 PM
You plan your job around reenacting

Your vacation is a reenactment

When everyone goes modern day camping and they all roll up with nice Coleman tents and you have a shelter half!!

Or you offer extra credit to your students if they come to a reenactment or living history you are at.

Or if you pass up donating to Jerry's Kids or Make A Wish foundation to get your yearly donation off to CWPT!! (Just kidding on this one please don't flame me)

cannnfodder
12-25-2008, 10:02 AM
You might be a civil war reenactor if....
1. Your work friends want you to go camping and you realize the only gear you have is a dogtent, double bag knapsack, bedroll, kerosene lamp, haversack and, well, you get the idea. You seriously think about going 1860's style (I tell them I call it "primitive" ) and they never ask you again!
2. If, before you get hired for a job, you go over with your supervisor your unit's reenactment schedule
3. You listen to more 19th century music than modern music and can't wait for the newest release of you favorite Civil War band (2nd So. Carolina)
4. Hardtack is part of your regular diet (crush'em up and put'em on your salad)
5. You homebrew
6. You come home for the Holidays to see the folks and you plan half your time going to cemeteries to see dead relatives! What I'm doing right now!

Fenian
12-25-2008, 12:35 PM
You watch Football on a snowy day wearing a Forage Cap and oiling your leather goods and your family sees this as nothing out of the ordinary.

Elaine Kessinger
12-25-2008, 02:53 PM
...in planning your holiday trips you add extra days, so you have time to visit (insert favorite battlesite or museum here). ...And your family sees this as your usual traveling behavior.

14thoviteenreenactor
12-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Your friends can tell it's you by a) the clothes you're wearing b) what your sewing c) what your cooking d) your cooking being from scratch (my favorite to make is molasses cookies) and e) how your word choice is from over 100 years ago and they have to keep asking you for a modern equivalent. :p

50th vice pres
12-27-2008, 09:06 PM
if you wear your long coat in the winter to go out on the town or visiting friends, you wear your reenacting clothing (like I'm doing now) any time of the week/year, wear your kepi to go to taco bell!

TheSignalCorpsGuy
12-29-2008, 01:40 PM
You watch Football on a snowy day wearing a Forage Cap and oiling your leather goods and your family sees this as nothing out of the ordinary.

My family knows my son and I are nuts....... So nothing 'period' that we do even bats and eye with them anymore.

BUT

Had friends come over last weekend unexpectedly. CLOSE friends.

I had the game on the big screen, a tin cup of beer and all my period weapons on the coffee table before me.

My son was in the process of re-roping one of his drums and had rope, hoops, and pieces all over the other corner of the room.

The fiends come in and didn't even say a THING........

My son, afterwards, said - gee dad they must know us pretty well to not say ANYTHING about all the stuff we got laying out........

And I'm also guilty of about 99% of all the other things people are saying as well.

Especially about the kids history teachers calling. Every year I get calls along the lines, "Please have your son stop saying those things - we're not allowed to teach them that information."

Oh - I wear my GREAT COAT in the winter. Why? Because it's the WARMEST coat i own. There's no rank or 'side' insignia on it - so it's "OK" but more importantly - IT IS WARM! And I also strike up conversations with it when asked about it........

Radar
12-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Especially about the kids history teachers calling. Every year I get calls along the lines, "Please have your son stop saying those things - we're not allowed to teach them that information."

Hate to say it, but the schools don't want to hear the "truth". Can't vary from the state mandated teaching schedule.

sbl
12-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Geeeeze...there's always a guy that poops in the pool.

Drygoods
12-30-2008, 12:29 AM
You know you're a reenactor when your own children don't come over to visit because your everyday furniture is 150, or more, years old and they say the chairs aren't comfortable. :roll: I simply remind them that when I die, they will have an amazing estate sale!:p

14thoviteenreenactor
12-30-2008, 06:21 PM
You can recognize your friends by the gear they are wearing 30 yards away

sbl
12-30-2008, 06:24 PM
You can recognize your friends by the gear they are wearing 30 yards away

You can instantly recognise your own rifle out of a line of stacks.

ILYankee5
12-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Nice one Scott!

How about: You relate the proximity of cities by what Civil War Battlefield is close to it. :p

bob 125th nysvi
12-30-2008, 10:22 PM
and notice all the inconsistancies?

M.Metz
12-31-2008, 12:31 AM
Guess all of my Boy Scouts are potential Re-enactors! I love making little guys carry heavy stuff. (he he he)

I learned how to cook in cast iron, build fires, pitch tents, tie knots, shoot guns, and carry heavy loads in the Boy Scouts. I think it prepared me for reenacting in more ways then one!

sbl
12-31-2008, 07:30 AM
and notice all the inconsistancies?

Can spot all friends in both Union and Confederate uniform, sometimes in the same scene! Laugh when Longstreet says that all Virginia is here and one Reb in the shot is from Ossipee, New Hampshire.

plankmaker
12-31-2008, 10:05 AM
When you go to the Antietam Visitor Center and see yourself firing from both sides of the sunken road.

You can also make out each of the monuments carefully disguised as trees.

Mark Campbell
Piney Flats, TN

Charles Weathers
12-31-2008, 04:34 PM
...if someone starts a "you might be a cw reenactor if..." thread, you check it daily for the new additions, and its 6 pages long and still going! :rolleyes:

Pvt_Idaho
12-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Your idea of going for a walk around the block is to dress in heavy marching order (well, sans rifle -- that would REALLY rattle the neighbors) for a few miles post-Christmas limber up.

And find a spent cartridge wrapper in your pocket and bask in the aroma.

And delight in the neighbor's attempts to blow up and set fire to your mail box with an M-80. Every time you open it for months afterwards, you just smell and smile.

Happy New Year to All!

flattop32355
12-31-2008, 07:24 PM
And delight in the neighbor's attempts to blow up and set fire to your mail box with an M-80.

I bet it holds more mail now, too. ;)