PDA

View Full Version : How was Rich Mountain?

Button Whizzer
07-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Let's hear it.

Summer school is a blankity-blank. :cry:

Brandon

VaTrooper
07-17-2006, 03:38 PM
I couldnt go.....

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=21083

ley74
07-17-2006, 08:59 PM
A good solid 9.5.

coffeeboiler
07-19-2006, 06:35 AM
For those like myself who enjoy an event that is both physically challenging and historically honest, this was a great event.

Eric, Ken, Joe and the rest of the organizers did a fantastic job.

Chuck A Luck
07-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Let's hear it.

Great event. Long march up the side of a mountain, and the damp & relatively cool weather made it easier than anticipated. Plenty of stops along the way. About the time the sun came out (3pm?) we fiinally met the rebs at the top -- not far off from the historical precedent. A relatively sharp, quick battle ensued, and the mountain top was ours.
As part of Co. B, 10th Ind, our campsite Saturday night was excellent.

Overall, a superb and very memorable event.

Too bad they can't all be that way.

YankRI
07-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Some events are great because of the fun had. Some are great because of the satisfaction derived from meeting a challenge. This event was certainly the latter and never have I felt more connected to this time period than after marching down the mountain on Sunday morning.

The best description of the Rich Mountain event I've read thus far though is from a 61-year old reenactor who actually reenacted in the Centennial events (i.e., 1961-1965!). He was in Co. B, 10th Indiana with me. Here is what he wrote:

As I actually said during the event, it is not a hard one, but it's a miserable one. What I meant was that the march (or rather climb) was not overly taxing even to someone of my advanced age--and had it been done on a nice October day would have been quite enjoyable...but with that weekend's weather even just sitting under a tree doing nothing was taxing.

Someone remarked that he would have a hard time ever convicing anyone that we were doing this for fun. I responded that this wasn't 'fun', we're not doing this for fun, but for satisfaction. Everyone nearby agreed. We do this not for fun, but to come to a closer understanding as to what the Civil War soldier experienced. And at this one we got a little of the sh*t over the sugar.

I cannot tell how many times I've read of the original boys telling of halting in the rain with ground too muddy to even sit down, yet being too weary to care and lay with the rain coming down on them. How many times have we heard of dropping knapsacks and not seeing them again? Well, I've been reenacting since the centennial and this is the first time it ever happened to me.

Great stuff, eh?

Michael

Chuck A Luck
07-20-2006, 11:09 AM
The best description of the Rich Mountain event I've read thus far though is from a 61-year old reenactor who actually reenacted in the Centennial events (i.e., 1961-1965!). He was in Co. B, 10th Indiana with me.

Great stuff, eh?
Yes, good quote, there. That must be from Spencer. I stood guard duty with him on Saturday evening and it was interesting to chat with him. The feller that I chummed up with at RM (Shelly "Rush" Wright) is also a veteran of the Centennial reenactments.