PDA

View Full Version : Without a Trace - Reenactment Theme

eagleeyes
12-14-2008, 11:06 PM
While watching TV tonight, I saw the trailer for a new episode of Without a Trace that will be on CBS Tuesday night (Dec. 16th). It appears that storyline will revolve around Civil War Reenacting.

Anyone know if they used experienced "Reenactors" or just normal "actors"

OVI
12-14-2008, 11:51 PM
While watching TV tonight, I saw the trailer for a new episode of Without a Trace that will be on CBS Tuesday night (Dec. 16th). It appears that storyline will revolve around Civil War Reenacting.

Does it matter? Even without knowing any of the details, I would bet my house reenactors will come off looking like goofballs....which of course we are.

Kent Dorr - Ohio
"Devils Own Mess"

Guy Gane III
12-15-2008, 12:20 AM
It might be that one that someone got shot in.

Ross L. Lamoreaux
12-15-2008, 12:25 AM
I just talked to a pard who works for CBS, and he heard of no casting call among reenactors circles, so anticipate the roles being filled by actors. He is working on getting a storyline to post, but as with most shows, they're a little tightlipped until it airs next week. As is the case with several mainstream television shows who have aired episodes with reenacting (NCIS, Saving Grace, and lets not forget The Simpsons and South Park!) we'll just have to see... Regardless of how we see ourselves in the mirror each morning, we are little our of the norm!

flattop32355
12-15-2008, 03:18 AM
From the net's TV guide listing:

Episode: "Cloudy With a Chance of Gettysburg"
The team searches for a local television weatherman, gone missing after showing up for work bleeding from his side.

Like the movie "Pearl Harbor", the history will probably be merely incidental to the storyline.

Forquer
12-15-2008, 09:16 AM
the history will probably be merely incidental to the storyline.

Bernie -

Of course that's also the way it is at myriad events across the country each year.

These, of course, won't fall under the scrutiny of milions of viewers on any given week........ at least on any network, except for NBC.

jschw90
12-15-2008, 11:29 AM
At first I was going to say that this wasn't a new episode, but then i remembered that NCIS and CSI have done episodes involving reenactors.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
12-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Hallo!

As had done "Matlock" and the "Ellen" comedy show.

And even the History Channel once with its... "The Unfinished Civil War" farce.

;) :)

CHS

Forquer
12-15-2008, 12:09 PM
And even the History Channel once with its... "The Unfinished Civil War" farce.

;) :)

CHS

Gee thanks, Herr Curt!

I just about had that sick joke erased (or was it supressed) from my memory.

Guess we'll always have that albatross or scarlet letter to wear.

Poor Private
12-15-2008, 08:47 PM
We as reenactors can look at it in a few ways.
1. As a way to help us bring reenacting more to the forefront as a hobby instead of lurking under the bridge.
2. A way to continue to ridicule the networks and shows to all our friends, co-workers, and the forums.
Or
3. Just view it for what it is- a piece of entertainment for the general pubic.
It is going to be interesting to see what our forum members post after watching the show on Tuesday night.

PaperPusher
12-15-2008, 11:05 PM
... Regardless of how we see ourselves in the mirror each morning, we are little our of the norm!

So true, Ross.

indguard
12-16-2008, 01:58 AM
I saw the NCIS one with reenactors in it. For the most part it was benign, but they had one crack in there that sort of angered me. One of the characters said his father was a reenactor and when he was a kid he had to carry the bucket that his unit defecated in. Huh? As if we reenactors pass around some company poop bucket? What sort of idiotic joke was THAT to put in there? What IDIOT got THAT stupid idea?

Other than that, I am a bit of a fan of NCIS. It has a strong, patriotic, central character in it. You don't get patriotism much on TV.

WTH
The IHateHollyweird mess

sbl
12-16-2008, 09:29 AM
"...Other than that, I am a bit of a fan of NCIS. It has a strong, patriotic, central character in it. You don't get patriotism much on TV...."

indguard,

This is because TV programs, and movies will be translated and sold overseas. "Hollyweird" actually exports Amercian product.

Tigerrebjim
12-16-2008, 10:31 AM

Background people will be reenactors. ''Others'' (speaking parts, key scene people, etc) will be 'professionals.'

JIM Tee

3rd_PA_Artillery
12-16-2008, 02:05 PM
From the net's TV guide listing:

Episode: "Cloudy With a Chance of Gettysburg"
The team searches for a local television weatherman, gone missing after showing up for work bleeding from his side.

Like the movie "Pearl Harbor", the history will probably be merely incidental to the storyline.

Ah, I saw that on TV the other day. I had half a mind to record it, but I think I'm rather glad I didn't.

Duff
12-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Now the only question that remains to be asnwered is did they use mainstreamers or hardcores, because we all know how important that is.

ewtaylor
12-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Now the only question that remains to be asnwered is did they use mainstreamers or hardcores, because we all know how important that is.

It had to be mainstreamers since they were pooping in buckets, everybody knows hardcores poop in their pants!

ew taylor

btw that was a joke and wasn't meant to inflame 'streamers or hardcores.

Tigerrebjim
12-16-2008, 08:58 PM

For the Without A Trace production - great majority were mainstream. A few 'hardcores' did participate.

JIM Tee

josie wales
12-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey all, Arrrrgggghhhhhh......wheel horse driver....6 horse-hitch.....at least: cold wet pants....at worst: warm thick ones..... to the boots. Try it....you'll like it......Oooooohhhrraaaaahhhhhh....

3rd_PA_Artillery
12-16-2008, 11:02 PM
OK, getting ready to start watching this thing... Here goes the ride... Yes, this is pretty stupid already...

Spinster
12-16-2008, 11:18 PM
I'm finally back from Fort McAllister (stopping to begin the process of probating an estate along the way).

I like to nap when the TV is on. :-P

Silas
12-16-2008, 11:26 PM
The sojourn was so long that somebody died in route? Must have been the meat ration. Or the beans ration. Or one of the stops on the way to Ft. McAllister. Glad I'm not attending all the events you're attending, Mrs. L.

jweiland
12-17-2008, 12:00 AM
That might be the most embarrassing moment for reenacting ever

3rd_PA_Artillery
12-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Ugh... That was s-t-u-p-i-d. Made us all look like idiots and geeks. I officially hate Jerry Bruckheimer. Funny ending however when the main investigator tries his hand at a Confederate artillery piece and blows up a car.

Jeffrey Cohen
12-17-2008, 12:02 AM
The lead character fires the cannon and you hear glass breaking and a car alarm go off, hilarious.

Ross L. Lamoreaux
12-17-2008, 12:06 AM
At least the sutler had some nice overalls - think I'll make me a pair of those.

crowley_greene
12-17-2008, 12:10 AM
The lead character fires the cannon and you hear glass breaking and a car alarm go off, hilarious.
I cut my teeth in reenacting serving as the #2 man on a 10-pounder Parrott Rifle. We never walked off and left a live round in the piece, with the friction primer in place.

"Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes."

Both sides keep burning powder even when police cars pull between the lines -- only 100 feet apart incidentally.

Ohhh, that was bad. Almost as bad as some of my first local reenactments that I thought were the greatest things. :)

Murray Therrell

crowley_greene
12-17-2008, 12:12 AM
Ohhh, that was bad. Almost as bad as some of my first local reenactments that I thought were the greatest things. :)
Oh, and I forgot the distinct sound of the character pulling his zipper up in the woods.

RWelker
12-17-2008, 12:12 AM
I liked the sound of the zipper as that guy finished his business.
And that they used the word 'Farb' on TV.

Artyman
12-17-2008, 12:14 AM
About as big a waste of really cool props as I ever saw!

Harry

Ross L. Lamoreaux
12-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Honestly folks, did anyone here expect different results? Take it for what it was - entertainment for those not historically inclined (it was a police drama not a documentary), but yes, it was bad.

OVI
12-17-2008, 12:29 AM
Lets add up the damage...

Reenactor accidently stabs another with a bayonet (which breaks no less). Incident not reported nor reenactor checked by medics.

Cannon with live round with primer inserted left unattended after battle scenario. Fired off by interested spectator.

Yeah...puts our hobby in a real great light. Please...no more.

Kent Dorr - Ohio
"Exactly as I expected Mess"

Rick Keating
12-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Like the Daytona 500 nobody remembers who finished in second a week later. In a week the only ones who will remember this episode will by you guys still wringing your hands and bleating about how bad it was.

Hey, it was cornball, it was tv... get over it and worry about the next big reenactor crisis, like what Gettysburg to go to next year. Sheesh!

Rick Keating

crowley_greene
12-17-2008, 12:54 AM
get over it and worry about the next big reenactor crisis, like what Gettysburg to go to next year. Sheesh!
Oh, we do get over it to be sure. But there's bound to be a little passing conversation along the way. :)

Spinster
12-17-2008, 04:40 AM
Its a shame we don't have a little smilie showing a big yawn. I fell asleep within the first 10 minutes of the show's start.............and just woke up.

Naw Silas, the need to probate an estate did not arise from the McAllister meat ration, just the natural course of things--the generation before me persists in passing on with increasingly regularity. And I seem to be the one in the family in my generation who knows how to handle such things.

Pete K
12-17-2008, 08:39 AM
The flyer for the "battle" was a Gettysburg reenactment, so how was it Grant outflanked Lee? Also did you notice the woman character with the cell phone in her wall tent? It was the same as any other tv show using CW reenactment as a back drop, we're all history geeks playing soldier for the weekend.

3rd_PA_Artillery
12-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Oh, and I forgot the distinct sound of the character pulling his zipper up in the woods.
Yes, I nearly pulled my hair out when I heard that. :D

Artyman
12-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Yeah, We all noticed the cell phone chick. Wish I had a set like that in my tent keeping me warm!!!

Oh, yes, my point...the zipper guy....remember he was nearly blown up and irradiated in Jericho...but he did get the chick in that one. Had need for that zipper in that series. Oh, there I go again.

As I already mentioned, nice entertainment, really cheap bayonets, but in general a giant waste of pretty cool props.

Give me a shot at a police car that close and the paint will burn. They were using reduced charges for sure.

Anybody know any of the guys in it? Those parrotts didn't come out of "central props".

Remember guys, there are field commanders who think that changing the scenerio is required. Why not put Grant at Gettysburg so he can outflank Lee...and march North East around the round tops, on the forth day, run over Hoods boys, rout what's left of Pickett, then get their wagons back. Hey, why not!:rolleyes: , :) , :confused: , :(

Harry

Cove Rebel
12-17-2008, 10:58 AM
I found it funny because I've seen other things I've held dear ridiculed far worse. But here are some other gaffs of the show:

- reenactment lasted a week huh?
- nice wood structure store that sutler has!
- weapons is a rack in the camp
- how'd a fresh fish get to be a general?
- anybody see Custer in the background?
- to the FBI agent "you need to be properly attired to enter the battlefield"
- "which General Lee? We have 3 of them."

Ho ho! What a farce!:rolleyes:

Blair
12-17-2008, 11:51 AM
The History aspect was just another prop used to help sell their product.
Wrecking cars helps sell many programs so they wreck a lot of cars. History was just another car wreck to them.
Film and TV production companies and their sponcers don't care until the viewing public doesn't care enough to watch.
I didn't watch the program because I knew what they were going to do.
Just my opinion...
Blair Taylor

Artyman
12-17-2008, 11:59 AM
The first time I saw a show like this was back in the 60's on a Perry Mason episode. In that one a city official in the spectator area is taken out by a mob hit man who is infiltrated into one of the CW armies for that purpose. I was 12 or 13 at the time, but I remember the episode. No one judged it for quality back then 'cuz none of us knew better.

Harry

6thkentucky
12-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Finally something mainstream and campaigners can agree on. This show sucked. Gods and Generals and Gettysburg will look alot better the next time you watch them now. lol Everyone has pretty much covered all the nonsense that was in it. So I'll comment on the only thing I really liked about it. The Latino detective chic was hot. :-P

Poor Private
12-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Lets not forget that the sutler knew that "his" bayonets were made using the bessamer process. Elevate boys elevate

Linda Trent
12-17-2008, 08:40 PM
I saw the show last night and thought it was a hoot. Finally, someone sees the same thing I do at most events within a couple hours of my home. :( At least the lady on the cell phone knew enough to be inside the tent rather than standing outside of it in public. And as far as 3 Lees at the same event, I've so been there seen that. :) Yeah, it wasn't about history or history heavy events, but then they never advertised it as being such.

Just my two cents worth.

Linda Trent
lindatrent@zoomnet.net

8thILCavalry
12-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Dang I missed it. I want to see it. I want to hear the zipper!!!!! :D

Artyman
12-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Its a horrible sound!
I recorded it. If you really want a copy send me a PM and I'll mail you a tape!

Harry

Miss Elizabeth
12-18-2008, 12:11 AM
Dang I missed it. I want to see it. I want to hear the zipper!!!!! :D

Ouch! I was having a hard enough time having friends and family understand why I love reenactment.
Well if you really want to see it and missed it. You can go to www.cbs.com and find clips of it including the sutler scene. I think after while they will put the whole episode on their site, not that that makes us happy!

3rd_PA_Artillery
12-18-2008, 08:31 AM
... So I'll comment on the only thing I really liked about it. The Latino detective chic was hot. :-P

Yes, sir! :D

Charles Weathers
12-18-2008, 03:59 PM
I just watched it on YouTube and it was AWFUL! What a terrible representation of reenacting. Especially the unattended, loaded cannon, with the seemling live round (although it would have been kinda cool to see it blow up the car)! :shock:

If you haven't seen it and need a good laugh check it out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwFXBO0p4do

This reminds me of the movie "10.5" about earthquakes in California where Los Angeles breaks off and floats away (not to mention other impossibles). A nightmare for us fielding phonecalls from panicked people.

plankmaker
12-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Geeze, where has the classy oldtime TV shows gone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqnm3A10m8I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opcL3Lo7o5Y&feature=related

Mark Campbell
Piny Flats, TN

Poor Private
12-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Mark,
which clasy old time shows are you referring to? F-Troop? Get Smart? Wackiest ship in the Army?
You just have to keep repeating to yourself---
"It's only a TV show, It's only a TV show!"

Tigerrebjim
12-19-2008, 04:01 AM
I saw the NCIS one with reenactors in it.

Oddly enough, this NCIS episod was shown on USA Channel today, about 5PM Kalifornia time

JIM Tee

Charles Weathers
12-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Oddly enough, this NCIS episod was shown on USA Channel today, about 5PM Kalifornia time

JIM Tee

What was the title? I have watched NCIS from the beginning and don't remember it. I'll have to watch it again.

Linda Trent
12-19-2008, 12:49 PM
The NCIS episode was "Silver War" Season 3 Episode 4 First Aired 10/11/05. It was the first NCIS show I ever saw, and it got me hooked. :p Not because of the reenacting, but because I liked the characters.

http://www.tv.com/ncis/silver-war/episode/483183/summary.html

Linda.

Charles Weathers
12-19-2008, 12:53 PM
The NCIS episode was "Silver War" Season 3 Episode 4 First Aired 10/11/05. It was the first NCIS show I ever saw, and it got me hooked. :p Not because of the reenacting, but because I liked the characters.

http://www.tv.com/ncis/silver-war/episode/483183/summary.html

Linda.

Thanks!

I was taking forensics in college when CSI first aired. We would critique it in class. That got me hooked on all of the CSI shows! :rolleyes: