PDA

View Full Version : Manassas Impressions

Forquer
07-16-2006, 09:01 PM
I'm a little surprised that there has been little chatter about specific unit impressions for the 145th Manassas. I remember that there was a great amount of discusion leading up to the 140th about some unique impressions that folks were researching. It was really the best thing about that event.

So far about the only thing I've heard anything about is Shaun Grenan and the lads putting together a specific zou uniform.

Is anyone doing anything special, or are havelocks going to be as exotic as it gets?

Julio C. Zangroniz
07-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Esteemed Mr. Forquer,
I plan to portray an early war news correspondent. At this point, I don't know if I will sport a havelock, though.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Julio Zangroniz

Forquer
07-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Esteemed Pho-dog Julio -

Why, your trademark "urban sombrero" will be quite de riguer, as well as signal your approach for miles!

VaTrooper
07-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Nothing flashy but I have bought a lot of new stuff.

Regular3
07-17-2006, 07:10 AM
There will be a re-creation of the battalion of Regulars again this year, with companies from Sykes, the USV, and Vincent's Brigade combining to portray the role of "the men who saved the Army."

Yes, we will be forming the square again, but with every effort being made to avoid the screw-ups perpetrated the last time we did this (those who recall the SNAFU at the 140th will know what I'm talking about)

Kimmel
07-17-2006, 05:25 PM
The Berdan's and Bucktails are teaming up to make the 2nd Connecticut Rifle Companies. Some other units are making up the rest of the 2nd Connecticut. Rifle Company A and B of the 2nd Connecticut were issued Sharps Rifles. The normal companies A and B just had plain ol' Springfields. As far as we know their uniforms were standard... Dk. Blue Sack, light blue trousers, blue forage and I think I remember someone saying something about a green stripe on the pants but I dunno. The original 2nd Connnecticuts uniforms were poorly made and some marched back to CT after Bull Run in pants made of blankets and some had captured Cornfed Zouave uniforms.

rmassella
07-18-2006, 07:33 AM
There is a unit that will be recreating the 5th Virginia, Co. K, from Winchester, Virginia. The impression is based on research and examination of a coat from the Continental Morgan Guard as pictured in EOG P. 89.

Bob Massella

zouavecampaigner
07-18-2006, 04:01 PM
The Berdan's and Bucktails are teaming up to make the 2nd Connecticut Rifle Companies. Some other units are making up the rest of the 2nd Connecticut. Rifle Company A and B of the 2nd Connecticut were issued Sharps Rifles. The normal companies A and B just had plain ol' Springfields. As far as we know their uniforms were standard... Dk. Blue Sack, light blue trousers, blue forage and I think I remember someone saying something about a green stripe on the pants but I dunno. The original 2nd Connnecticuts uniforms were poorly made and some marched back to CT after Bull Run in pants made of blankets and some had captured Cornfed Zouave uniforms.

Bryan,
I'd love to see your source for the "captured confed zouave uniforms". The only Confederate Zouaves at the Battle of Manassas were the Tiger Rifles, and that would make for a great Living History item! LOL

Also, sky blue trowsers for the 2nd CT instead of dark blue? Did CT issue sky blues like NY did?

See you there!
Shaun

Kimmel
07-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Shaun,

This is the only info I have right now. The info on the blue pants came from the Berdan Battalion Major so I don't know much about that. The Captured Zouave uniform info I found. It came from the book American Civil War Armies (4) Unfortunatly I haven't the time nor money to buy a Confed. Zouave uniform.

zouavecampaigner
07-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Shaun,

This is the only info I have right now. The info on the blue pants came from the Berdan Battalion Major so I don't know much about that. The Captured Zouave uniform info I found. It came from the book American Civil War Armies (4) Unfortunatly I haven't the time nor money to buy a Confed. Zouave uniform.

Bryan,

is that the Osprey series? If so, I have it somewhere... Just be careful, they're known for having a lot of errors in their ACW stuff. They're better with European and British stuff, as that is their forté. They've got some good stuff too, but what annoys the tar out of me is the lack of footnotes and any real endnotes.

Also, a zouave uniform is NOT as expensive as people think. The gentleman who makes our uniforms gives us a better rate for trowsers, sash, and jacket than a sutler row frock coat and sky blues, and we've examined 5 different originals to make sure they're based on good documentation. My Tiger Rifle trowsers, with Pat Kline Material cost me $40 + material, which was about $40 as well. Cheaper than a pair of sutler row sky blues 'round here! Now if only I had a real USE for those things... haha

On to "Centreville"!

Shaun

cwrematchr
07-21-2006, 07:47 AM
I'm a little surprised that there has been little chatter about specific unit impressions for the 145th Manassas. I remember that there was a great amount of discusion leading up to the 140th about some unique impressions that folks were researching. It was really the best thing about that event.

So far about the only thing I've heard anything about is Shaun Grenan and the lads putting together a specific zou uniform.

Is anyone doing anything special, or are havelocks going to be as exotic as it gets?

Mr. Forquer,

I definately agree with you and some of the progressives that are actually putting effort into their impressions for this event. Most mainstreamers just dress like it's 1864 and make me über angry!

Well, EVERYBODY know about Captain Grenan and his escapades! Their research and work will hopefully show today. But will their spirit in battle tomorrow? Only the victors will know.

I seriously hope there are less of those *-*-*-*- havelocks. It seems like that's the only piece of equipment people know existed in 1861. It's makes me very uneasy. I went to our historical society yesterday and looked up "real" info. on our unit, the 19th Virginia, and found some excellent ideas in our regiment history book. I quote:

"Citizens of Albemarle County eagerly donated money and service to the soldiers; women produced uniforms, tents, and knapsacks. But Fry [Lt. Col.] still had problems in equiping his men, and they had to be quartered without charge at various places in Charlottesville."

"In order to protect the troops from firing at each other and in response to accidents, various brigades recieved color badges; Cocke's brigade wore red flannel caps or armbands."

"Before some companies recieved tents, some men were forced to sleep on the grounds without blankets."

"The companies returned to Lewis' Ford by way of the abandoned Federal camp where the rewards of victory were plentiful. Blankets, overcoats, oilcloths, haversacks, and muskets were strewn on the field of victory."

SO, THERE YOU HAVE IT! So, many interesting tidbits of information that will most definately go into effect at the reenactment by myself.

Thanks for letting me relieve some stress,

Jason

toptimlrd
08-04-2006, 01:31 AM
Well I am a little late here, but my unit wore battleshirts so I had a couple of new Confederate battleshirts made for myself and my son for the event as well as picked up some sky blue jeancloth trousers for this event.