PDA

View Full Version : New Civil War Medical Book Website

xring600
12-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Hello everyone and Seasons Greetings. Over the years we have handled quite a few rare and authentic Civil War books and manuals. We thought it would be nice to enter all the we have or have had into a database and get it onto the web. It is in the process and is going slowly while other real life stuff gets priority. I will post the website address here and hope you find the time to visit. Remember it is a work in process, and we hope to have all of it finished in the next few weeks. Upon completion the website should contain around a hundred period books.

www.civilwarmedicalbooks.com

Kevin

Regular DOC
12-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks neat source will cause me many hours of wishing I had more money:D

I will have to google search some of the books. Thanks again a valueable site.

xring600
12-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Doc,

I sure appreciate your comments on the site. I added page 2 this morning and should finish that out this weekend. As the site develops expect pages dedicated to engravings and illustrations to appear. This will be good references to techniques and instruments used by surgeons during the war. Other material is planned as well so check back periodically. Happy Holidays.......

xring600
01-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Well I have been working some on the medical book website and wanted to give you all a heads up on it. There has been a great deal of information added since I last posted here so enjoy!

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Kevin

www.civilwarmedicalbooks.com (http://www.civilwarmedicalbooks.com)

bobby n.
02-05-2009, 03:50 PM
i recently came into 2 civil war items. one a book by LP Brockett entitled
women's work in the civil war : a record of heroism patriotism and patience
written in 1867 published by ziegler mc curdy and co. in boston mass.. the
second item a knife corsan denton burdekin and co. dagger c 1860s sheffield
england , an officer and gentleman s knife id like to get history on the book and the knife if possible, the book is in fair condition but needs restored. the front cover came loose

bizzilizzit
02-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Well I have been working some on the medical book website and wanted to give you all a heads up on it. There has been a great deal of information added since I last posted here so enjoy!

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Kevin

www.civilwarmedicalbooks.com (http://www.civilwarmedicalbooks.com)

There seems to be an absence of female medical books on your website. Are you only collecting books regarding medical care of men/soldiers or will more be coming regarding women and their issues?

xring600
02-11-2009, 08:08 AM
bizzilizzit,

That topic is one that I have never been asked about before. I am not opposed to the collection of books along that line but the site is dedicated to those books that were or could have been used during the War in the medical services. If you could elaborate some on specific text concerning women in the war I would be glad to take a look at them.

xring600
02-11-2009, 08:13 AM
i recently came into 2 civil war items. one a book by LP Brockett entitled
women's work in the civil war : a record of heroism patriotism and patience
written in 1867 published by ziegler mc curdy and co. in boston mass.. the
second item a knife corsan denton burdekin and co. dagger c 1860s sheffield
england , an officer and gentleman s knife id like to get history on the book and the knife if possible, the book is in fair condition but needs restored. the front cover came loose

I am afraid I am not familiar with the title. However when googling the author I see the Brockett did write a book dealing some with medical called, "THE CAMP, THE BATTLEFIELD, AND THE HOSPITAL." As far as the knife you may want to post that in another section for feedback or visit one of the antique forums on eBay.