PDA

View Full Version : Unit in Massachusetts

LParsons
07-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Hey, new here, i was wondering if anyone knew or was in a unit in Massachusetts, (eastern preferably). I probably wont join a unit for a year or so though, (im 18, dont drive, dont have much money, and am going to college, bad combination lol). Im not looking for super-hardcore, but one that has atleast respect for history But this hobby has drawn my interest the more i look into it. I am majoring in history next year (figures look at the hobby im interested in lol). Im making my first trip to a battlefield (Gettysburg) in August.

peace

LP

AP Hill
07-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Abolisionist/Succesionist ?

Blue/Gray ?

Yank/Reb ?

Ambrose

LParsons
07-17-2006, 02:08 PM
I found some units (federal) that im going to check out at an event next month, most of them will be there, along with some revolutionary war reenactors.
http://www.20thmass.org/
http://www.22ndmass.org/

if anyone has heard of anything (good or bad) about these groups, please tell me. Thanks

blueYankee
07-18-2006, 12:29 PM
LP- Both of these units have fine members and belong to the New England brigade- My unit has taken the field with them a few times. By checking them out...do you mean you will be at Old Sturbridge Village "Redcoats to Rebels" weekend??? You will certainly get your fill of reenacting units there! Blue Yankee

LParsons
07-18-2006, 01:52 PM
I was planning on going to OSV for one of those days, probably saturday, seems like a good way to see lots of different groups.

i was thinking of checking out this unit too, due to my Boston irish heritage

http://www.28thmass.org/

Stiggs
07-25-2006, 05:13 AM
There're supposed to be some guys ot Old Stirbridge Village portraying Sherman's Bummers this year. Should provide an interesting contrast.

Miss L
07-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Mr. Stiggs,

Were those the same 'gentlemen' who were in attendance last year? If so, they did in fact, provide an interesting contrast, as well as a couple of interesting photos.... :-)

medicalcadetcorp
07-26-2006, 11:41 AM
The Medical Cadet Corp has members in Ct. , NJ. , PA , and MD.
We are always looking for new recruits. If your interested here is our web site,
www.freewebs.com/westpointcadet

You can contact me at CWMedReenactor@aol.com or 1-717-606-2221

Sincerely,

Michael Merritt
Commanding, Medical Cadet Corps

Stiggs
08-02-2006, 03:17 PM
"Were those the same 'gentlemen' who were in attendance last year?"

Yes, Ma'am, plus a few add'l friends.

Miss L
08-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Then I shall be looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!

inplacerest
08-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Miss L.
To keep a most accurate and most obnoxious portrayal of Sherman's bummers, our small band will be pillaging at OSV only on Sunday. Desecrating the Lord's Day seemed to be something they reveled in. We'll be on the village green when we aren't out looking for trouble. Please stop by for a chat.
Mike McBride
Caught Off Guards
(OSV 05 silver and painting bummer)

YankRI
08-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Hey, new here, i was wondering if anyone knew or was in a unit in Massachusetts, (eastern preferably). I probably wont join a unit for a year or so though, (im 18, dont drive, dont have much money, and am going to college, bad combination lol). Im not looking for super-hardcore, but one that has atleast respect for history But this hobby has drawn my interest the more i look into it. I am majoring in history next year (figures look at the hobby im interested in lol). Im making my first trip to a battlefield (Gettysburg) in August.

LP,

There's an ad-hoc group in these parts called the New England Campaigners that I suggest you look into. It's purpose is to provide an opportunity for Federal reenactors in New England to learn about and experience "progressive" style reenacting at local events.

We have a great relationship with our friends in the New England Brigade and participate in local events up here with them. The group is not "super-hardcore" but does like to stay "period" throughout most of the weekend. It's a laid-back group with some great guys who welcome newcomers to the "campaigner" ranks.

Also, there's some great reenactors around your age from Massachusetts that I'd be happy to put you in touch with to get their perspective or just some more info. Feel free to email me at yankri@yahoo.com. I'm happy to give you my insights as to the scene up here off-line or help in any way I can.

Hope to see you in the field!

cblodg
08-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Mike, I second everything you said. The New England Canpaigners are a great group of guys. Laid back is right, but makes for an even better event. The events that I've done with them are indeed memorable.

Chris

Miss L
08-06-2006, 11:05 PM
Mr. McBride:

That would explain why I never managed to locate the stragglers from Sherman's Army! I was only able to attend on Saturday. It is a fun event in a lovely setting, and with the dearth of things to do up here, it's one I look forward to. Perhaps next year?

blueYankee
08-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Ms. L, Rumor has it that there may not be a timeline next year at OSV...talk is that the village may try separate weekends for separate time periods. Too Bad....this past weekend seems to be their biggest draw for spectators. I also know a few of those "bummers"...They jumped into the "parade through time" following the others Federals with all their acquired goods on their backs...It was a great sight. Do It again boys!
BlueYankee.

FWL
08-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Ms. L, Rumor has it that there may not be a timeline next year at OSV...talk is that the village may try separate weekends for separate time periods. Too Bad....this past weekend seems to be their biggest draw for spectators. I also know a few of those "bummers"...They jumped into the "parade through time" following the others Federals with all their acquired goods on their backs...It was a great sight. Do It again boys!
BlueYankee.

I too visited with the Bummers (as a spectator). My wallet seemed lighter after I left could it have been them or OSV!

Frank Lilley
Detached Again

Miss L
08-08-2006, 07:27 AM
"this past weekend seems to be their biggest draw for spectators"

I spoke with several of the volunteers/employees on Saturday. All of them commented on the size of the 'crowd'. Before noon, one of them told me there'd already been 1300 visitors through the gates. In the afternoon I spoke with one of the women working in the ice cream shop; she said on a normal Saturday they did about $200 worth of business - they'd done over $900 up to that point in time.

"Rumor has it that there may not be a timeline next year at OSV...talk is that the village may try separate weekends for separate time periods"

They may think that by breaking up the time periods they can draw increased numbers on more than one weekend.

I'm a member of OSV - like entirely too many organizations, we're battling increasing costs and decreasing revenues. I'm sure at one point or another over the weekend you looked around and thought, "that could use a coat of paint", or "that needs to be fixed".
If any of you live in the area and have spare time (a rare commodity, I know), consider volunteering. Or just join the Friends. An individual membership is $50/year and among other things, entitles you to free, unlimited daytime admission; 25% discount on guest admission tickets and 10% discount at all museum gift shops and food services. (you also get discounted admission at other outdoor living history museums across the U.S.)

OK - that's it for the sales pitch!

I do wish I'd had the opportunity to meet more of you - but I did get to spend an enjoyable half hour with some gentlemen from a Connecticut unit (I don't recall the number). Hopefully, something will be held next year and many of us will be in attendance.
:)