PDA

View Full Version : Mufreesboro Preservation Meeting- July 21

CandaceRose
07-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Hi everyone...

Again, another travesty. Erin reported in the DNJ this morning that Murfreesboro lost another historic home, the Loyd Haven home. (Thank you Dan Deal for the link.)

This just goes to show that we HAVE to get moving on our preservation efforts. As you all know, there is a meeting on July 21st at 1pm at St. Mark's United Methodist Church. It is a Friday, in the middle of the day, making it difficult for some of us to take off work and get there. However, I think it will be informational, inspirational, and hopefully a chance for us to try to assemble some sort of organization.

I will be the first to admit that I am having difficulty getting everyone organized and into a group. I am trying everything I can to respond to each and every email that comes our way from someone who is interested in preservation...meetings are being scheduled and things are happening, but it doesn't seem to be moving as fast as the bulldozers.

I am hoping that the meeting on Friday will be a sort of "buffet" of preservation groups...perhaps some of you are more interested in old homes than you are the Battlefield. Perhaps some of you are interested in both. That is why I created the savemurfreesboro@yahoo.com , because it sort of encompasses everything and we can communicate with everyone from varied interest groups.

I will be honest with you and tell you that my heart now lies with the Friends of Stones River Battlefield (because of the precious Jenkins house). Their interests are more with preservation of the homes associated with the Battle of Stones River and the actual Battlefield than they would be with the historic district over at MTSU, for example. That is why the next focus is the McCulloch house on River Rock...it was the headquarters of General Hardee during the Civil War. We recently lost our request to stop the City from removing 17.9 acres from the Battlefield Protection Overlay District.

Some of you may have interests beyond the Battlefield. You may want to see ALL historic homes over 75 years old preserved. If that is your main interest, we may want to hook you up with Historic Murfreesboro, another new group that has risen out of fear of encroachment by MTSU.

We will know so much more after the meeting on the 21st. I think one of the first things we will have to do (and I hope this is confirmed at the meeting) is to identify ALL of the preservation groups, and direct specific interests to the correct preservation group. Then there will be a coalition comprised of representatives from each group to become a POWERFUL organization that can help all of the preservation groups because of what it will represent.

Again, I urge you to go to the meeting and get involved. I will send an email to everyone afterwards to let you know what happened, but if you are TRULY, truly worried and interested in what is happening to the history of Murfreesboro, I think you will be doing yourself and the community a disservice by not going, if you can make it. Again, I understand that work and other issues will prevent some from going but if you have the time I think you should be there!!!!

I'll be there, at the registration table. Come by and say hello! I'll be busy, but I would love to see faces and shake hands. You have to sign in and get a name tag anyway... : )

Sincerely,
Kay Morrow

dan_deal <dan_deal@bellsouth.net> wrote:
"Developer David Waldron of Waldron Enterprises said earlier this week his company hadn't finalized plans to tear down the 171-year-old Loyd Haven Farm home on East Jefferson Pike, but a demolition permit for the house was issued Thursday. By Friday, only debris remained"

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060715/NEWS01/607150318/1002