PDA

View Full Version : 145th Ani. Gettysburg Movie

hhikker
11-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Anyone want to leave their opinion on the movie 145th Gettysburg "Darkest Days Finest Hours" by Lionheart Films, from this years re enactment?

bbcwreenactor
11-27-2008, 01:29 AM
I havent personally seen it. but im sure it great if kevin made it. I reenact with kevin who is the owner of lionheart and his knowledge as well as his exsperience in this field is amazing.

jschw90
11-27-2008, 02:23 AM
Have they sent them out already?

Guy Gane III
11-27-2008, 08:49 PM
I can't wait to see it. :cool:

Did they show the 124th NY Orange Blossoms? I play Col. Augustus Van Horne Ellis. It was a lot of fun and I got to hang out with a lot of great people those few days.

hhikker
11-28-2008, 02:59 AM
I bought my copy in Gettysburg day after Remembrance. Its really good. I was even in the end of the film, although just a glimpse of me shot at the wall after Pickets Charge. LOL Great Stuff.

Gary E.
11-28-2008, 04:06 PM
It would be nice to see it. Anyone know when they are going to ship the pre-orders?

hhikker
11-29-2008, 02:06 AM
I could almost guess this is already burned and uploaded on you tube by now.

Swag
11-29-2008, 04:23 PM
I wanna see it, helped filming back in May, and it was Awesome, wanna see how they made me and my guys look.

dionys_5
12-01-2008, 09:01 AM
I saw it on the weekend before Remembrance Day at the Majestic theatre. I must say I was pretty impressed with what Kevin Hershberger accomplished. It was pretty good for a reenactment film. He did insert some scenes in between that were filmed elsewhere with other reenactors. Those scenes for the most part, looked very good and added quality to the whole production. I would say that he did an excellent job of editing.

DColeman
12-03-2008, 01:39 PM
John,
I got my copy yesterday and I must say I thought it was excellent. I knew Kevin would do a good job, but wow! And putting us in there twice didn't hurt either ;-)
Even saw old Stonewall Spoonie!

jthlmnn
12-03-2008, 01:41 PM
My pre-order copy arrived Monday, 12/1. Not having seen a reenactment movie before, I cannot compare it. Since the GAC was my first BIG reenactment, I am very glad to have it. I like the way they were able to capture some of the broad scope of the battles. I also enjoyed the perspective from the "embedded" cameras. Nice editing, too. I was less impressed with the musical score (not the string band), which struck me as too consistently ponderous and melodramatic, but may be just fine for those who regularly view "Deal or No Deal" and "Who wants to be a Millionaire".
I ordered the 2-disc set, and, for my purposes, I enjoyed the second disc (absent score, narration, and pre-shot scenes) more than the first.

That's my opinion and its worth every penny you paid for it.

VA Soldier
12-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Overall it was a decent film...If anyone hasnt purchased one and is debating getting one, if they are still available, pay the extra and get the two disc set.

The extra footage makes it worth it.

I enjoyed the string band music and most of the dialouge it added a bit of depth to the whole show.

That being said there were a few points on which I was dissapointed, or at least felt the filmmakers could have done better.

First on the scene where the Confederates fell out of ranks and stole from the kindly northern womenfolk. They should have used older, rougher looking soldiers. Yes I know there were a lot of young boys in the army, most of them would have been green soldiers and not likely to challange an older lady whom they would associate with their own mothers. Where was the nco to keep them moving, i mean the soldiers were marching at shoulder arms, not the route step and it wasnt a forage detail but an army on the move...I dont know about you but my NCO gets mighty upset if we fall out on the march like that. Add to that scene very staged dialouge, not much thought into character just recite the lines in an overly dramatized way.

Second, and yes I know this is the Yanks big day, but a little more balanced view of the Northern soldiers and Southern Soldiers

Third, there was hardly a time in the video when you could tell there were thousands of reenactors there. Thats one of the things that makes these large anniversary events what they are, the chance to see thousands of men take the field, to get just a glimpse of what those men must have felt back in 1863. To see those long lines of blue and gray, to get that lump in your throat at the sight of so many opponents or to swell with pride at the sight of so many comrades, especially on the third day. The filmmakers spent too much time focusing on the same units and could have done the same movie with a couple of hundred reenactors. For me, my point was being able to see the almost unending line of soldiers marching off to battle and watching the waves of gray advancing in step durin Pickett's charge. For me personally failing to show the true scope of soliders that were there was one of the greatest misteps of the film.

When you set down to tell someone what it was like, wouldn't it be great if yo could show them, so you pop in the video and what do they see, not the event we witnessed, not the thousands of men on the field at one time, but a few dozen or couple hundred here and there that you find at your larger annual reenactments.

I don't regret purchasing it, but I don't think we are talking an acadamy award for acting or cinematography either.

D. Jackson

50th vice pres
12-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Mine came today, but I now will be watching it looking for what you have mentioned.

harleyreb
12-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Hi does anyone no where you can purchase the movie?
Pvt. T.Markee

50th vice pres
12-06-2008, 01:52 AM
http://www.gettysburgreenactment.com or by calling them at 717-338-1525

reddiamond
12-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Gents,
I was not in attendance at the GAC event. But, I do know the film makers and heard comments about the challenges they faced in filming. I will not speak for them, but relate some of the challenges they told me.
1) The event field was surrounded by bleachers, spectators, towers, loudspeakers, and the like. It is hard to get an angle on the scope and size of the event when everywhere one looked there was some huge monstrosity in the background. Forget the wide angle, panoramic views.
2) The reenactors themselves. Some units are better than others. I am sure that obvious units who were not there ended up on the cutting room floor. Wrong corps badges, flags, uniforms would stick out like a sore thumb. Remember, much of the sales goes to people who are not reenactors. Putting reenactors in the film whose portrayals are obviously out of place would damage the credibility of the film company. The film is for everyone, not just our own document of attendance.

I remember a recent Camp Chase gazette with a front cover spread depicting the Battle of Cedar Creek featuring Union troops marching in front of the Heater House. There was a big 5th Corps brigade flag in the background!!
Imagine that.

The film people were contracted to make a documentary about the Battle of Gettysburg. It was not a documentary about the hobby. Modern glasses, obvious women in the ranks, and others who have little regard for trying to portray Gettysburg would naturally end up on the cutting room floor.

Scot Buffington

GaWildcat
12-12-2008, 02:25 PM
I got mine as an early Christmas present from my folks. I thought it was Excellant, mostly because I saw a great shot of me from the back.. my better side of course!:cool: