PDA

View Full Version : History Channel errors

Colonel Dave
11-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Granted, the show was about Valley Forge but in five minutes, an officer yelled, "Ten-Hut" and a female reenactor referred to latrines.
If those kind of errors can be viewed in such a short time, were is the quality control and historical accuracy adviser?:confused:

Robert A Mosher
11-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Granted, the show was about Valley Forge but in five minutes, an officer yelled, "Ten-Hut" and a female reenactor referred to latrines.
If those kind of errors can be viewed in such a short time, were is the quality control and historical accuracy adviser?:confused:

Colonel Dave -

I found that after years of frustration at such silliness, I started reminding myself each time I caught something like this that I am not really the audience for the History Channel. The real audience appears to be those wh have not already deeply immersed ourselves in history, but rather those who have never been interested or were driven away from history by a bad teacher at some point. They would only notice such things after they have had a chance to do some further study and some reading - by which time we know "we've got'em." And in the meantime it avoids confusing them and possibly driving them away again.

At least, that's what I keep telling myself. It helps, a little.

Robert A. Mosher

Ross L. Lamoreaux
11-24-2008, 05:53 PM
I've found that alot depends upon who directs and produces something for them. The majority of showings are privately made by different production companies, as the HC does little of its own film work. As with everything in life, some companies vary with the quality. I pretty much stopped watching them after that horrendous "documentary" on reenacting several years ago, "The Unfinished Civil War". Occasionally, a pearl can be gleaned from the raw oysters, as I've found an excellent documentary on the Span Am war and a couple on the War of 1812, but they all used quality living historians and had good technical advisors (as a matter of fact, the Span Am film was made by the same folks who work with NFL Films oddly). As mentioned above, we are not exactly the demographic that the channel is trying to get, which is obvious with such new fare such as Ice Road Truckers type garbage.

sbl
11-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Then forthe nasty 12 year old boys there was Torture Tech or whatever it was last night. Say, could someone impaled by Vlad Dracul have survived for two days? What exactly does the Rack do? We have Englishmen who will try it out!
Hahaha!

tompritchett
11-24-2008, 06:29 PM
We have Englishmen who will try it out!

I am not even going to ask on whom. :twisted:

sbl
11-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Oh sorry.....pig joints, a stuntman, and a computer model.

sbl
11-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Cool! I'm watching Hitler's Trenches!

Tomorrow on Modern Marvels....Cheese!

Colonel Dave
11-24-2008, 11:27 PM
But that is how the uninformed think it is how it was done. Needless to say, teaching someone something right is easier then trying to reteach them something later. I can see a Rev War spectator walking up to a sergeant and correcting him when he brings his men to attention without saying Ten Hut. LOL
Ross's response sheds some light on the subject but I wish someone at the HC would look at what they air...maybe some editing may save them from themselves.

50th vice pres
11-25-2008, 01:57 AM
As mentioned above, we are not exactly the demographic that the channel is trying to get, which is obvious with such new fare such as Ice Road Truckers type garbage.
Are you saying that Ice Road Truckers is garbage!!!!???? I love that show, as an avid reenactor and a Owner Operator truck driver. I would do that in a heart beat if my wife wouldn't be so worried about it. Dont bash the truck driving occupation, without trucks America stops.

Colonel Dave
11-25-2008, 06:57 AM
I don't recall mentioning anything about trucks. The industry is my largest client but my post was about historical inaccuracies and nothing about trucks. What's up with your posting? :?:

tompritchett
11-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Ross's response sheds some light on the subject but I wish someone at the HC would look at what they air...maybe some editing may save them from themselves.

You must remember that the History Channel is first and foremost a for-profit entainment enterprise not a non-profit educational enterprise. Expecting them to be any different is like expecting GAC to be an EBUFU event. In both cases, the overall driving forces behind them are drastically different.

50th vice pres
11-25-2008, 12:28 PM
I don't recall mentioning anything about trucks. The industry is my largest client but my post was about historical inaccuracies and nothing about trucks. What's up with your posting? :?:
Colonel Dave, if you saw I quoted Ross L. Lamoreaux, he had the original saying about trucks.

plankmaker
11-25-2008, 12:46 PM
They should get this gut to explain history. He is so succinct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvQW3HKFoSo

Mark Campbell
Piney Flats, TN

huntdaw
11-25-2008, 02:14 PM
What? You mean the History Channel still airs something that actually has something to do with history? Wow!

plankmaker
11-25-2008, 02:46 PM
You mean you missed this cutting edge historical profile on the History Channel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jDfSqtG2E4

Shame on you.

Mark Campbell
Piney Flats, TN

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
11-25-2008, 04:57 PM
How d' ye!

As the director of "Courage Under Fire" told my Hollyweird pard art/set designer Randy Wilkins- there are only four people in the country that know the difference and he was talking to one of the four.

On the other hand, "reenactors" typically are a great source of free or very low cost "extras" for these production companies in that they keep their costs down and profits up because they bring their own knowledge, skills, uniforms, clothing, gear, tentage, etc., for free or little.

IMHO, Ted Turner started it, and others have been benefiting since... (although we did "free work" for companies before such as the "Classic Images" videos during the 125th Anniversary Series.)

Others' mileage will vary...

CHS

Colonel Dave
11-25-2008, 05:49 PM
I see it now. wasn't up when I read it.