PDA

View Full Version : Proceeds going for This or That.

captdougofky
07-13-2006, 07:48 PM
I can tell by the comments by some that they have been involved in the planning and control of events. When I see the comment certain amount of the proceeds going to historic this or that is there a set % in peoples mind as to what is fair etc. Like tipping base on service and money taken in. I was just wondering.

Always Doug
Lyons Battery
Kentucky

tompritchett
07-13-2006, 09:25 PM
When I see the comment certain amount of the proceeds going to historic this or that is there a set % in peoples mind as to what is fair etc.

Usually all moneys raised above expenses. The 140th Manassas gave everyone a bad taste in their mouths when promised percentages were initially refused until reenactors raised a major stink over it. 140th Sharpsburg was initially promoted as a percentage going to preservation, but the event supposedly lost money although I am sure that the event coordinator consultant received his full fee. In past years Gettysburg has promised a few token thousands of dollars for preservation for events that garnered probably hundreds of thousands of profits for the organizers. Need I say more.

captdougofky
07-13-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks Tom
I have not been involved in the planning of a event nor do I want the problems that go with it. I did at one time take two cannons but its hard just to keep one in the game with the cost and number of people it take to run them. Thanks again.

Always
Doug Thomas
Lyons Battery 1st. Ky Vols.
Shepherdsville

bill watson
07-14-2006, 08:33 AM
Well, the ones I've been associated with send money in different directions, but the bulk of it goes to the preservation cause, the next largest slice goes for direct expenses, and a small amount is sometimes set aside as seed money for the next event.

Registration money pays for expenses, including ration issue. Any money left over after expenses (and I think we'll find that of the $20 for Shenandoah 62, more than half the $20 is available after expenses) goes primarily to preservation. All the money raised on site as fundraisers for preservation goes directly to preservation -- the $1050+ the federals ante'd up Sunday morning from formation, for instance, will go directly to preservation, as will all the money raised from the raffle and all the money turned in at registration earmarked for preservation.

Sometimes some small part of the registration money is set aside as seed money for the next event a group might be planning. Some might also be used for "infrastructure." Dave Pridgeon, for instance, no longer has to scramble for portable water tanks, because they are already in hand and doing duty at each event. I'm betting there's enough seed money set aside from Shenandoah 62 for whatever startup costs might be encountered for the next event, probably McDowell 07. It won't be a whole lot, and it will probably go for something that's an event enhancement of some sort. Maybe a "real" wagon to bring the beef quarters into camp this time?

My guess is that at most events run by reenactors for preservation, 95 percent of money after expenses goes for the immediate preservation effort and amounts held back are startup money for the next venture. As several folks can tell you, this is a good arrangement because it means some of us do not have to use our own money to "front" the startup costs. That's never been more than about $1,500 for me, and I always was repaid, but still: Explain at home why we can't afford to start a bathroom renovation when that much money is sitting tied up in bacon and hardtack. :-)

One of the good things that happens when you try to put every penny possible into the preservation effort is that things are donated much more freely, which cut down on expenses. Nobody had to pay any fees for land use at Shenandoah 62, and everyone there knows we were on private property most of the event. Fees for land use are a big item at some commercial events. A local civic group paid for the portalets; the Ruritan made its building available for registration. Etc. I'm sure when the full report comes out we'll have all those details.

captdougofky
07-14-2006, 01:12 PM
I was just wondering, I know the feeling on the wife thing, a few years ago the wife wanted a new chair or something and I told her she would have to wait. I had just ordered a set of NO. 2 wheels for the cannon. She still tells that story. Thanks for the info.

Always
Doug Thomas
Lyons Battery
Kentucky