PDA

View Full Version : Guyandotte

Pvt.Holley
07-13-2006, 11:39 AM
I live close to the Guyandotte CiVil War Days, and am ver concerned about this reenactment. In the past couple of years, the numbers have dropped considerably. I know there was a "split" with the different reenactors. I personally liked the way it was run this past year. I know that this has been considered a "farb" event, but has been getting better, with the help of some of our campaigner units. The overall commanding officer reenacts with this campaigner unit, and is very concerned with the authenticity of the event. If there are any ideas on how to get people back to Guyandotte, let me kow, and I can relay the messages.

Pvt. Holley

tompritchett
07-13-2006, 08:55 PM
The overall commanding officer reenacts with this campaigner unit, and is very concerned with the authenticity of the event.

Overall Confederate or Union commander?

Hondo
07-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Pvt. Holley,

Guyandotte still has a long way to go to measure up to a quality event. The re-enactors are treated very very good there is no doubt of that. But there are so many things that need work you will just have to pick one and go from there.

Here are just a few areas that need attention:

1) "Tombstone" marshalls walking the streets.

2) Men with earrings in both ears (you know what/who I mean).

3) Security - getting better but we still remember the bikers.

4) The officer who has his stars on his vest collar and a Hank,JR. battleflag

5) Very few quality sutlers

6) Safety Safety Safety - we can never have enough. However when urban
fighting is taking place it increases the danger.

7) Your overall commander.

8) The spectators stepping out in the streets in the middle of the battles.

This is just a few and please don't take this the wrong way. These are just some areas to work upon. We have attended this event for the last 7 years but as of yet are undecided on this year.

There is NO Event that is more re-enactor friendly than Guyandotte.

Hondo

Hondo
07-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Tom,

It would be bad manners to name names. But he is Confederate.

tompritchett
07-13-2006, 09:41 PM
It would be bad manners to name names. But he is Confederate.

The last time I was Guyandotte, the overall Confederate commander was definitely a mainstreamer (I know because I was in his unit) so I was just checking to see if there had been a change.

Hondo
07-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Last year was his first at Guyandotte as commander. He reminded me of Captain Kangaroo.

Hondo

Pvt.Holley
07-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Well, I know that there are many problems at Guyandotte. I've been to alot better. That's why I wanted to see what people thought of this event, so I could suggest some ideas to the planning commitee. The overall Confederate commander has been reenacting for 20 years. I agree with the "Marshalls". Personally, I think that the security is great. As for the spectators stepping into the middle of the battle, well, I haven't seen any. Of course, there could still be some, because, I'm not everywhere at once. Remember, though, we are running through these people's backyards. Guyandotte still is a functioning neighborhood.

Pvt.Holley
07-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Yes, though, it is a very reenactor-friendly event.

Wild Rover
07-14-2006, 09:25 AM
uh-

1) "Tombstone" marshalls walking the streets.

2) Men with earrings in both ears (you know what/who I mean).

3) Security - getting better but we still remember the bikers.

4) The officer who has his stars on his vest collar and a Hank,JR. battleflag

5) Very few quality sutlers

6) Safety Safety Safety - we can never have enough. However when urban
fighting is taking place it increases the danger.

7) Your overall commander.

Not exactly a laundry list to attract authentics...umm...

tompritchett
07-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Actually the battle and counter-attack being portrayed did occur in the historical section of the town in which the reenactment is being held. I have not been to the event in several years but I do remember how friendly the event was towards reenactors and also the safety issues associated with the chaotic nature of street fighting.

Hondo
07-14-2006, 12:42 PM
No Chris, IMHO it will never be an event for authentics. Even if the soldiers were you still have a modern city all around you cant hide.

Hondo

Linda Trent
07-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Guyandotte is about a 40 minute drive from my house, and I've been there once or twice as a reenactor, but most generally as a spectator. The last time I was there was a year or two ago.

Just for starters I'd like to see Robert E. Lee done away with, and bring in hometown hero General Jenkins, who really did lead the raid.

What I hate is the three local news channels covering the event who give the majority of the air time of the event to Lee, and talking about it as if it was fact that he was actually here. I'd like to see a greater emphasis on General Jenkins, and see Lee turned away from attending.

Of course I have a lot of sentimental feelings toward Jenkins, who's one of my heroes :)

Linda.

frankstevanus
07-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Well, somebody has got to ask, so I quess I'll be the one: Where the heck is "Guyandotte"?

Pvt.Holley
07-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Guyandotte is a section of Huntington, WV. I totally agree with the General Jenkins impersonation. That would be great. It is a good event for those who are just starting in the hobby. I would love to see guyandotte get fixed, but it is in the middle of a modern city.

flattop32355
07-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Well, somebody has got to ask, so I quess I'll be the one: Where the heck is "Guyandotte"?

Guyandotte was a prosperous town in western Virginia along the Ohio River about ten miles up-river from the Ohio/Kentucky border at the time of the CW. The Confederates set up a recruiting station there, and some Federals were sent in to put a stop to it. Confederate cavalry then raided the town, killing a few and capturing approximately 100 Union troops. They pulled out the next day, taking their prisoners, just before Federal infantry arrived on river boats. The soldiers were so angry about the raid and possible complicity of the townspeople with the Rebs that they burned a good number of buildings.

Due to some unfortunate decisions by city fathers concerning a railroad man named Collis P. Huntington some time later, Mr. Huntington decided to start his own town just down the river to base his dreams. Eventually, Guyandotte was absorbed by Huntington, WV, and is at the eastern end of that town.

Guyandotte is the first reenactment my son and I attended with our home unit (2003) when we got started in the hobby. We were truly "Fresh Fish", and chock full of the "Gee, Whiz!" factor. It remains one of my son's favorites, because it was there that he first "died" in action.

Having attended the last three events there, I've learned a lot since then, and have lost that early amazement. The event is what it is: Infantry, cavalry and artillery fighting in the streets and alleys of the town, a ball, some sutlers, the local VFW's open bar. The townspeople seem to cherish it, as it allows some of them to bring to the fore their Confederate sympathies in a (sometimes) acceptable manner. I'll never forget getting captured that first year, and a lady from the town in period clothes walked up to me and slapped me with her glove while verbally chastising me for invading her town; I don't think she was play-acting. The following year, I took a hit, and a "lady" in the gallery got mad at the Reb soldiers because they wouldn't "Take his gun, take his gun!".

The battle scenarios don't try to replicate the original, which was too limited to reenact if you want a significant number of folks to show up. It is not uncommon for troops to take cover behind parked cars on the streets, occasionally firing from truck beds. They also don't let the Feds burn down a building anymore (yep, you heard right).

On the plus side, they feed the reenactors two good meals and you get to camp out on the river bank, unless it's flooded. The weather has varied from freezing nights to blazing hot days (first weekend in November).

This year, my unit did not vote to go to Guyandotte. Some aspects had just become too much to deal with. Some may attend anyway (if my son has his way), but we won't be going as a unit.

It is what I'd call a fun event, if you're willing to forget about trying to be historically accurate and just want to end you season blasting away and being in a real Secessionist town.

Hondo
07-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Well said Bernard. We use it for an end of year event. Also to show what we try not to do in several instances.

Hondo