PDA

View Full Version : Authentic Music

Union Maid
11-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Howdy I have some friends who play bluegrass and are coming with me to the civil war reenactment and wanted to jam around the campfires so I was wondering anyone know what songs were and weren't played? Or any links they can learn?Thanx so much.

Danny
11-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Howdy I have some friends who play bluegrass and are coming with me to the civil war reenactment and wanted to jam around the campfires so I was wondering anyone know what songs were and weren't played? Or any links they can learn?Thanx so much.

Union Maid -

For one quick list Google 2nd South Carolina's CD's and see their song lists. Their first albums were not yet very authentic sounding but their song lists have always been authentic. All of their albums sound great.

BTW if you're concerned with authentic playing around the campfire don't have your Bluegrass buddies actually play in camp. Maybe a bonfire near the parking area or in the sutler's circle but keep it outside of any area trying to maintain a period look and feel. Again, that's only if authentic is important to you and your unit. No one in this hobby can tell you what to do.

The reason: None of the specific instruments or the technique for playing or singing Bluegrass were used before about 1900, and what became to be called Bluegrass only began after late 1920's or so. In the Civil War time guitars had gut strings, were much smaller, and not played with a flat pick. Mandolins had not yet become popular and were rare in this country. Banjos had gut strings, no frets and were tuned lower. Upright basses were not used in popular string bands at that time. Fiddles had gut strings, no chin rests or fine tuners, were more often played from the chest and were also tuned lower. Lead singers tried for full and resonant and not high and nasal as with Bluegrass. Notes were not 'bent' often the way they are in Bluegrass.

Myself, I love country string bands and Bluegrass, but sadly I had to admit it doesn't really belong in camp. That said, I and others in this forum have "sinned" on that account a few times and invited some pickers into camp and had a good ole' time...

Dan Wykes

Union Maid
11-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Danny, man you crack me up! I had a good laugh. When I say their bluegrass they play mainly bluegrass but can pretty much adapt to anything and play by sight reading or by ear. So they were hopin to get a list of songs to learn, also they do have mandolin and banjo but they mainly and would only bring fiddle and guitar. I had a eerie feeling of what you were going to say so thank you. Um, yea!( lost my thought there for a moment) I am defintely going to google that, thanx so much for your help!

Danny
11-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Danny, man you crack me up! I had a good laugh. When I say their bluegrass they play mainly bluegrass but can pretty much adapt to anything and play by sight reading or by ear. So they were hopin to get a list of songs to learn, also they do have mandolin and banjo but they mainly and would only bring fiddle and guitar. I had a eerie feeling of what you were going to say so thank you. Um, yea!( lost my thought there for a moment) I am definitely going to google that, thanx so much for your help!

Union Maid -

Uh...glad to be of service?

You opened a Civil War music forum with: "Howdy I have some friends who play bluegrass and are coming with me to the civil war reenactment and wanted to jam around the campfires..." so I'm not sure why my response would crack you up, but enjoy!

Don't know what you may think of me for pressing the issue either, but your friends bringing only their modern steel-string fiddle and big guitar to play CW-era songs still does not get a pass for authenticity in camp, but I would never suggest you keep your friends from coming. For me friends, fun and old songs at times trump strict authenticity. This is a hobby!

But I think it fair, worthwhile and easy to mention the reality of the situation at the same time. It's a Civil War event and I feel all participants benefit when they have the chance to at least understand the past as it was.

Join me in promoting that at the Saturday Night Balls someone would just take a minute to mention (or demonstrate with one little authentic performance sample) what a real period string band sounded like...

- Dan Wykes

dedogtent
11-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Danny,

I thought the same as you with her initial thread. Bluegrass pickers around the campfire. She said they are accomplished musicians and can adapt to CW period songs. They will have to be as the two are as far apart as a light mist and a hurricane.

Oh, and I never saw what was funny either.

50th vice pres
11-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Oh, and I never saw what was funny either.

Probably where he said he "sinnned" a bit in that area a few times.....

Union Maid
11-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Danny, I must confess I have a strange sense of humor..no explanation yes 50th vice pres , congrats you were on the right track to finding out my sick humor. I have been just shot down throughout this all and I expected the criticism I have found but not "this is what is authentic but you know it's a hobby and i have sinned for the enjoyment of pickin".
Also I didn't mean to say "can adapt" I mean they do. They already play both kinds. And from the songs I was lookin at, from the excellent band you gave me Danny, they already play both.

5strings
11-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Danny, I must confess I have a strange sense of humor..no explanation yes 50th vice pres , congrats you were on the right track to finding out my sick humor. I have been just shot down throughout this all and I expected the criticism I have found but not "this is what is authentic but you know it's a hobby and i have sinned for the enjoyment of pickin".
Also I didn't mean to say "can adapt" I mean they do. They already play both kinds. And from the songs I was lookin at, from the excellent band you gave me Danny, they already play both.

Miss Union Maid,

I see no one here shooting you down or making fun of what you want to get out of your hobby. I saw polite suggestions and advice for your post. And it seems your friends already know how to play both sides of their trade. I will close this thread if there is nothing else.