PDA

View Full Version : looking for a unit

d.meese
11-05-2008, 04:09 PM
I am looking for a unit in the Winchester VA area.
Thanks Dan

DamYankee25
11-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Federal, Confederate, Both, campaigner, family based (MSer)?

Brandon English

JLynes
11-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Mr Meese,
If your interests are Federal and include the Irish Brigade, the 28th Mass Volunteer Infantry, Co B might be a consideration for you. We are located in northern Va and southern MD; please check out our unit website at http://www.28thmasscob.org.

I'd be happy to take on any questions you might have...you can write me through this site or at signals@28thmasscob.org.

Jerry Lynes
1st Sergt, Co B

mmescher
11-05-2008, 08:45 PM
And if you are looking for the other side of the coin, I'd invite you to check out the 42nd Virginia for a confederate unit in Northern Virginia (who have been on the opposite side of the field from the 28th Mass many times).

However, there are many types of units whose approaches and interests differ. In choosing a unit, visit many and choose the one that most closely matches the elements you would like to do.

The only reason I would advise people to stay away from a particular unit is if they are lax in safety. Other than that, you pick the unit that suits your tastes.

Feel free to send me a private message and we can discuss what you are seeking and, if we wouldn't be a good fit, maybe I can recommend someone else.

Sgt. Michael Mescher
42nd Virginia

d.meese
11-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks for those who have responded. I'd perfer a union mainstream group.
Dan

ElijahsGrtGranddaughter
11-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks for those who have responded. I'd perfer a union mainstream group.
Dan

Having fell out with the 7th NY Cavalry a time or two and having the opportunity to meet some of the 28th Mass Volunteer Infantry folks, I think you'd really like that unit.

Like Sgt Mescher, don't just join one unit, give several a try, often times personalities clash and/or they just aren't walking in the same direction as you are heading.

But I think the 28th Mass is a good place to start, if you must truly be a Yank. ;)

~Kerri

Busterbuttonboy
11-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Dan
Both those units are great. They will steer you in the right direction, help you purchase correct gear so you dont spend three times as much for the bad stuff. Not to mention give you a taste of what it was really like.
Drew

Union Maid
11-07-2008, 12:45 AM
howdy possibly lookin for a yankee unit is brooksville,florida.

Ross L. Lamoreaux
11-07-2008, 02:32 AM
howdy possibly lookin for a yankee unit is brooksville,florida.
http://www.17thconn.com/ They are mostly from the New Port Richey and Brooksville area with some nice family involvement. www.75thovi.com also has members state-wide, and www.97thpvicoa.com is a family friendly unit in the Tampa/St. Pete area.

Union Maid
11-07-2008, 04:59 PM
http://www.17thconn.com/ They are mostly from the New Port Richey and Brooksville area with some nice family involvement. www.75thovi.com also has members state-wide, and www.97thpvicoa.com is a family friendly unit in the Tampa/St. Pete area.
Again I thank you for your help.

mmescher
11-08-2008, 01:59 PM
If anyone else is inclined to post to this thread addressing the topic of units in Florida, please start a new thread. By adding onto a post about units in the Winchester, VA, area (and it's a long commute to Florida from there), you clutter up the starting thread and also miss getting posts about your geographic area of interest. If someone has knowledge about Florida, they would see the opening post is about Virginia and not go any further.

Thanks!

Michael Mescher