PDA

View Full Version : A/C Forum Issues

RobertSzabo
02-15-2006, 05:01 PM
This is nothing personal against you but I want to tell you why not everyone will go to the AC forum to ask questions.

The following is a quote. Its one of many Ive heard from users of this forum.

"90% of them blew me off/insulted me"

How can the AC "movement" ever expect to capture the hearts of main stream reenactors if they treat them this way?

Like I said, Im not pointing a finger at any one person but whats going on over there? I dont visit the AC forum, Im only going by what Ive been told, over and over again.

major
02-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Robert
I know exactly what you are talking about. It seams that they hide in the shadows and then pounce if you make any comment that isnít in line with their idea of reenacting.

dustyswb
02-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Mr Szabo,

Never thought I would post on an artillery post, but it seems this will go off topic quick.

As a moderator on the A/C forum, I can speak to "what's going on over there?"

I speak for myself and my thoughts may or may not be those of the other mods or Matt.

It is my understanding that the A/C website was set up for reenactors who wanted more than what was being offered at the time online. A place to have scholarly articles made available to anyone who wanted to read them. A place to discuss uniforms, events, research, 19th century techniques of cooking and camping, and other things. It had a very small membership and they liked it that way.

It seems to have grown to a point where it is just "kewl" to be a member, which really doesn't take much; a valid email and user name. The "old" members of the board wrote articles, posted excerpts from OR's or newspapers and discussed them in historical context, planned "c/p/h" events.

Word spread that this was "the place to be to be "authentic" and the lemmings came, myself included. I was intimidated when I first got there, because I hadn't done anything like what was on there. It took me over a year to post ANYTHING!. That was about 6 years ago and I'd like to think that I've done some good on the forum since Paul asked me to become a moderator several years ago.

Today's forum is different. Today's member joins on Monday and starts asking basic questions or giving unsubstantiated opinions on Tuesday. I think that new members need to do several things BEFORE they post a single thread when coming to the A/C:

1) Read the articles that still have live links on the home page.
2) Use the search function to see what types of conversations are stored on the forum before asking a question that was discussed yesterday, last week, last month or last year.
3) Find a picture, subject matter or article of the uniform and do a research paper/synopsis on an interesting aspect of subject and present it for discussion on the forum. This should be the first post everyone makes.
4) Leave your mainstream ideology on your side of the keyboard. Most of the original members fled such ways of thinking for a reason.
5) Don't get bent out of shape if you don't do the above and get called on it.

All the forums have a purpose. Not all forums serve everyone. The great thing about it is you can always "turn them off". If you are watching TV and something comes on that you don't like, do you complain to your cable company about the channel or do you use common sense and use your clicker?

Sorry for the rant. BTW, Lee White will NOT blow anyone off who has a legit question. I've never met him, but I bet the farm on that one.

SmellyFed
02-16-2006, 02:03 PM
There was a time when the Provost here at cwreenactors.com and I had a gentleman's agreement to help each other out when our forums were having technical difficulties - helping to spread the word. I've always kept my mouth off this forum and the Provost, in all his anonymity, did the same.

I don't run the AC any longer, but as far as I know, none of the AC moderators or admins have ever publicly critized the way you run your forum. I'm fairly shocked at this change in policy - that you would now use anecdotal heresay to cast aspersions - while admitting that you've never been there to verify your presumptions.

Sad Bob... just plain sad. Apparently the gloves are off now and that doesn't benefit anybody but the trolls.

Paul Calloway

trippcor
02-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Sir,
To a certain extent you are completely correct. I suggest you look at the name of the Forum - The Authentic Campaigner Forum. The title kind of indicates the purpose and intent of the forum. I think it is appearent that the AC forum is not geared to the mainstream community. Never has been nor has it been marketed as such. That is the purpose of this forum.

Let's use a little common sense folks.

RobertSzabo
02-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Paul,

I dont think I was being critical of the AC forum. Ive gotten emails from people that say just what I put in my post.

There have been a lot of replies to posts here telling people to go to the the AC forum for help. I only posted what Ive been told, that is, when they do so they are being ridiculed.

Bob

RobertSzabo
02-16-2006, 05:23 PM
I guess your right. I just though it would be nice if people who were not authentic and wanted to become more authentic could post and not be afraid to get blasted for asking dumb questions.

RobertSzabo
02-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like common sense to me.

I didnt mean to cause such a controversy. I said what was being said to me and asked a question.

I dont hardly have time to read this forum, Ill never have time in the near future to read the AC forum.

Ive kept this forum going because Ive been asked to do so many times by people I meet when I go to events.

trippcor
02-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Bob,
We have no problem with people coming to find more information to improve their impression on the AC. That is part of our purpose. No one has a perfect impression and there is always room for improvement as new research is uncovered.

We do however have problems with the 13 million "Who makes the best ??????" or "How do I defarb my musket?"post that have been answered so many times it has gotten pointless. We expect users of the AC to take a bit of effort to find answers before they post a question. We expect all users to use the search function to see if information is availible before posting a question. It is amazing what is availible. If they can still not find an answer or need some clarification then by all means post. I do not think anyone would slam someone for doing that.

RobertSzabo
02-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Well Im sorry if I have offended anyone in my post.

I didnt mean to put the AC forum down. If it was taken that way Id like to publicly apoligize. There is room on the net for many different views and opinions. Mines only one.

Maybe Ill just go back to lurking and keeping the hardware and software running.

Bob Szabo

Frenchie_2006
02-16-2006, 07:45 PM
I haven't had many problems on the AC forum. The great majority of my time there has been positive and even fun. But let me be blunt: The political preference of at least one AC moderator is very much to the left, and he makes no bones about it when he deletes comments he doesn't like and upbraids the poster for them. I am not the only one who has seen this.

Bob, you have nothing to apologize for. What you've done for the hobby gives you carte blanche to say anything you like, at least as far as I'm concerned.

SmellyFed
02-16-2006, 07:55 PM
If someone is abusing their moderator priveledges over there, for any reason, report them by using the alert button.

SmellyFed
02-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Paul,
I dont think I was being critical of the AC forum. Ive gotten emails from people that say just what I put in my post.
Bob -

You may not have intended to be critical, but the content of what you shared certainly was. This may come as a surprise, but not every email I saw over your recent outage was complimentary and hopeful of cwreenactors.com's return. People have left your forum with sour grapes too.

As you said in another post, theres plenty of room for both these forums - and when your forum goes down, its hard for the AC to handle the influx. The AC needs you right here, doing what you're doing - believe me.

There have been a lot of replies to posts here telling people to go to the the AC forum for help. I only posted what Ive been told, that is, when they do so they are being ridiculed.

Bob
I won't say it never happens but the AC doesn't have a policy to beat up on well-meaning mainstreamers. Folks that come in with a chip on their shoulder do regularly leave with bruised pride however. Our active membership is full of people who have dual membership over here on your site as well... so clearly not everybody is getting bloodied and that is why I say your evidence is anecdotal.

As Tripp pointed out, yours is a site built for the general reenacting community. Ours is a site built for hardcores and progressives - if streamers want to learn something they're welcome to read and even participate but we tell them at the outset, to follow our rules. We don't permit farbism - and people seem to get their feelings hurt real quick when we have to start editing their posts for content.

Every forum has rules and ours is no different.

Paul Calloway

Provost
02-17-2006, 12:13 AM
Paul,

As has been true for some time, our forums serve a different purpose than the A/C.

The A/C has been focused on authenticity issues.

Ours has been focused on respectful debate.

Those are conceptual frameworks which are not parallel, nor do they always intersect.

If one holds to a rigidly dualistic view of the world, one must believe that the "other" is the mirror image of oneself.

Therefore the A/C could see us as devoted to mainstreamers, whereas I could see the A/C as for disrespectful discourse.

The reality, I would suggest, is far more complex.

My gloves remain on. We shall remain true to our stated purpose (as soon as I can figure out how to get our statements back online) and I fervently hope that the A/C will do likewise.

Respectfully,

Provost

Radar
02-17-2006, 07:34 AM
I don't think you put the AC forum down, you were stating fact. I've seen it happen. Someone asks a question (to learn something) and the response is rather, look it up dumbie and they are chastized for asking a stupid question on "THE FORUM". They are treated as if they should already know better.

Jamie Rife
02-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Bob, I don't think that you are out of line here at all. I used to hang out out the A/C forum regularly and even post occasionally. But the venom and outright rudeness of some of the folks over there just turned me off and I rarely visit the site anymore. I'm pretty knowledgable about campaigner issues and methods, but have been slapped down several times in years past for asking seemingly innocuous questions. And yeah, there is a problem when authenticity-minded individuals repeatedly advise newcomers to visit the A/C forum and ask questions to build quality impressions, and when the "newbies" do so, they are then ridiculed and "blown off" by the A/C forum community. No wonder that there is such bitterness in the hobby or hobbies (as some argue) and that reenacting is not attracting as many quality recruits as in years past. Just my .02 worth... :(

nyczouave
02-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Having been a long time member of both forums, I don't think I am insulting anyone by saying that both sides are right.
It's no secret that in the past well meaning mainstreamers with legitimate (but basic questions) have been flamed on the A/C by folks with nothing better to do with their time (and humungous) egos. Everyone has seen it. It's no secret. However, I have never seen a moderator on the A/C do that. They are generally well meaning and fullfilling their obligations as moderators. It tends to be the virtual reenactors who are more visible on line than in the field who feel the need to run down new folks in order to hi-light their own superior powers of ego-testicle(not a typo) knowledge.
As for the CWR site, yes it is geared towards mainstream reenacting. But as always, mainstream is immediately associated with "farb" and that's not the case either. There are definitely more farb posts on this site than the AC. however they do not go un-noticed and are often commented on, perhaps not with the fire and brimstone that exists on the A/C but with plenty of intelligent discourse and historical fervor. It is also true that there are folks who choose to post on this site just to complain about the A/C because they went on there with a pre-conceived attitude toward the progressive side of the hobby and got what was coming to them. We have all seen that too. None of this is new or a secret.

A great man one said, "You can't ride two horses with one behind". And one forum can't be all things to everyone. Which is why you will find a large number of people on both forums with dual memberships. Just look at the names that post. They are very often the same. It would stand to reason that both forums are vital and well utilized.

So let's stop the pissing contest. Nobody wins and everybody loses.

As always, just my two cents.

hoosiersojer
02-17-2006, 03:57 PM
I have to agree with the last few posts.I have been a member of the AC as well as this forum for a few years and have found it to be a very valuable resorce.Many helpful people and always something interesting that can help me improve on my impression as well as just deliver to me great general information.I feel the same way about this forum.Having said that,I must also say that there seems to be a measurement of rude behavior over on the AC,from time to time.Although I have personally never seen a moderator act towards someone with an 'attitude',Lord knows that there are individuals there(these are the ones who need their privleges revoked) that post on the AC who I have seen lambast posters for all types of ridiculous reasons.Time and time again.I have personally come to the rescue of some of these abused posters, as I have felt that someone should show these poor souls that not everyone in this hobby is an eleiteist (sp?) and an a--hole.Regardless what forum you attend,manners should be mandatory... ,no one deserves to be treated the way some are over there.It saddens me that the moderators over there don't champion some of these souls,rather than remain in the shadows whilst these folks get tarred and feathered.When one of these rogue opinionated types pounce on an unsuspecting poster should it not be their post that gets edited? As a practicing member of this great reenacting community I would be more concerned on how newbies to the forum perceive us rather than how we perceive them.If we get in a habit of offending new converts to our forums,I can't help but worry about the future of this hobby.Doesn't matter if you're mainstream or hardcore,can't we just all get along??? My dollar and fifty cents worth... K.Waggoner 4th OVI,Co.B

FWL
02-17-2006, 04:39 PM
A great man one said, "You can't ride two horses with one behind". And one forum can't be all things to everyone. Which is why you will find a large number of people on both forums with dual memberships. Just look at the names that post. They are very often the same. It would stand to reason that both forums are vital and well utilized.

So let's stop the pissing contest. Nobody wins and everybody loses.

As always, just my two cents.

Charlie good to hear from you again, I could'nt agree with you more I belong to both and value both but for very different reasons. I don't see that as a confliction at all. I do note that certain AC forum individuals have a very acid tongue and their miserableness shines through. Sad people. I see it sometimes in this forum but its not so sanctimonious. All of that being said the bottom line is a new inexperienced poster better watch out on AC. Read before you post is my advice. Before I made my first "question post" on AC I did some preliminary research to make sure the answer was not staring me in the face. It was not and I did not get trashed.

frankstevanus
02-17-2006, 04:43 PM
I have only recently become a member of the A/C forum, but I think they both have a lot to offer the reenactor no matter where they are at in the hobby. And that is just what is; a hobby. Nothing more. I have learned a great deal and met great reenactors that are bery supportive of a learning reenactor on both sites, as well.
I mostly read and watch; some of these guys have been doing this stuff for a long time and have a lot of experience to offer. Me, I'm just learning.
So...I'll just shut up and learn!
God bless
Frank Stevanus
1st Maryland Cavalry

ewtaylor
02-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Do YOUR OWN RESEARCH FIRST. If you can't find it then go to the A/C forum and use the SEARCH function. About 90% of the questions asked over there by newbies have been asked before. The A/C forum is about trying to portray the common citizen and soldier during the War Between the States ACCURATELY. My personal knowledge of mainstream groups is research is done very little by individuals. Most rely on passed down reenactorisms.
This is a very fine forum for reading the hundreds of posts debating whose event was best or how many rounds can I get out of my pound of powder, but for true research on soldiers' equipment and CAMPAIGNING methods the A/C site is the best.
ew taylor

MStuart
02-17-2006, 08:46 PM
My 2 cents.

I look at the A/C forum as an exclusive club. As advertised, it's for the authentic, no if's, and's, or but's. As such, it's frequented by some of the most authentic reenactors in our hobby and they pretty much know each other from event/s past. It's a tough club to break into as the vast majority have years of experience of working and playing together, along with a whole lot of research they have either done themselves or shared with each other. Right or wrong, the "new guy" is looked upon with a little bit of suspicion when he begins posting ("who is this guy?", etc.). If the new guy doesn't measure up, i.e. know what he/she is talking about, in their posts, they may be ignored or, as with the less mannered, chastised as one who just hasn't paid their dues yet. I see this as more "mainstreamers" join up and begin posting. Think of it as a group of highly experienced professors who have a web forum where they can discuss things they have in common (such as the square root of pi or e=mc2) and then some new guy joins up who may have graduated algebra I, or may not, and says he wants to join up and shoot the breeze with them. The old professors may let him play in their reindeer games, or they may not....depending on what they perceive as their impression of the guy/girl. We tend to do this in the police profession, i.e. "kid, until you get some shine on those trousers, shut up, look, and listen". That doesn't make it right, but it's the way it is.

Best analogy I've got right now

Mark

Jamie Rife
02-17-2006, 08:52 PM
With all due respect, this is a problem since your idea of what the A/C forum is and what a number of others in that same community say it is is totally different. You're saying that before anyone should post there with a basic question he or she should do research on their own first, and if that fails, then use the search function. Or in other words, it's only for the more advanced reenactor who should already know basically how everything works.

O.K., fair enough.

However, I have often heard prominent members of the A/C forum community instruct potential new recruits to visit the site (rather than this one) and have their questions answered (nicely) so that they can get their initial impressions reasonably correct the first time around and not learn the hard way. In fact, in a much hated documentary produced several years ago that will remain unnamed out of present sensibilities, one of the few campaigners in it answers a question about how interested folks can get involved in the hobby by declaring on camera that they should visit the A/C forum to get their start.

This is in complete conflict to what you're saying, especially since not everyone knows how to do research like we do at the outset, and also because many folks who come to a given forum are not that familiar with how it works (including its search functions) and feel the need to simply dive in with a question. When that question is met with either derision or apathy by A/C forum members, then the potential recruits just decide that they don't want to be a part of a hobby that includes jerks like these, and simply go away disillusioned. There was once a time when I used to send my new members over to the A/C forum to get cutting edge information on authenticity matters, but no more since there are just too many sharks in those waters.

As for the moderators, and in reference to another post I saw on this thread, yeah, there is one over there who is particularly nasty and needs to be exiled. I'm not sure if he is still there or not since I haven't been to the A/C forum in a while, but he was definitely part of the problem the last few times I visited the site.

More .02 :roll:

RJSamp
02-17-2006, 08:56 PM
Zactly...

and they even break your rule from time to time and come running over here for research...

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3358&page=4&pp=10

is a classic. Guys spouting off about it's not in Hardee's....I've only heard about it happening at Chickamauga.....

Turns out that it's a tactical drill that's been used for centuries....and was used in tight spots in the ACW....

but when you read through the threads you find Authentic's jumping on Authentic's..... including a Moderator trying to shut down the thread and move on.....even though it's an authentic documented tactic that was used IN COMBAT.

Yep, love the attitude over on the AC.

Speaking of Research...have you figured out where they've learned how to use buglers? And just what call was 'First Call' (and it wasn't Assembly of the Buglers).

RJ Samp

flattop32355
02-17-2006, 11:00 PM
I don't think you put the AC forum down, you were stating fact. I've seen it happen. Someone asks a question (to learn something) and the response is rather, look it up dumbie and they are chastized for asking a stupid question on "THE FORUM". They are treated as if they should already know better.

There's an interesting concept: The Stupid Question.

I would submit that rarely, on either of these two fora, is a Stupid Question asked. Nor are there Dumb Questions asked. Rather, there are Ignorant Questions asked.

The dumb folks aren't smart enough to ask questions in the first place. They're incapable of doing so. Stupid folk do occasionally ask, if only to show their posteriors (in authentic terms, that would be "arse").

I believe that nearly all questions asked, on either forum, are from ignorant folk, the definition of "ignorant" being nothing more than "I don't know...". Now, those questions may not be of the "quality" some would prefer, but that's just life as we know it, and some folks, frankly, need to get beyond that and either respond to the Ignorant Question with helpful advice (which can include, but is not exclusive to, the admonition to "Use the Search function"), or just not post on the subject. To feel obligated to do so is just, well, kinda stupid.

indguard
02-17-2006, 11:09 PM
I find the "bashing" that some take at the hands of hardkewls at the AC is endemic to their entire hobby for far too many of them.

Now, I know quite a few guys who are solely interested in super authenticity. Some to the point where they won't even participate at a "regular" reenactment and will only do national battlefield sponsored events.

I admire their knowledge and ability. I also don't see a thing wrong with the way they carry on their interest in the civil war and its re-creation. There is plenty of room for both mainstreamers and hardcores in this world, for sure and these guys can pout on some fantastic experiences for their guys.

However, one of the biggest parts of being a hardcore is to display the applauded amount of disdain of those lesser lights, the so-called mainstreamers. It seems even a religious fervor that some hardkewls have to call them names and look down upon them.

Many of them are so zealous to be seen as a "proper" hardcore that the first sign of ANYTHING that smacks of being less than top notch in a poster on a site will be latched onto and used to beat that poor guy about the head with. And it isn't done to better the hobby, it isn't done to further study of the era, it isn't done to "honor the ancestors"... all they do it for is to LOOK GOOD to their pards.

I find it telling, also, that the ones who don't do it as much tend to be the guys that have been around for longer periods of time in the hobby and are older people. The younger guys seem to think being a hardkewel is a justification and proof of their worthiness in and of itself.

I have just ONE question for you hardkewls: Do you think a REAL civil war soldier would have sat around his fire and talked to all hours of the night about the **** jacket they just got from their quartermaster????

No, they would have just put the stupid thing on and moved ON with their life!

AGAIN, I want to REITERATE that I think the hardcore movement has improved this hobby by many, many degrees. Without them we would all have less knowledge about the era we love so much. I think we know more about the war now than we have since the thing ended. And this is NOT due to Universities and scholarly study in academia. It is because of hobbyists. I APPLAUD the efforts of hardcore civil war enthusiasts.

But they are NOT Gods. They are NOT infallible. They are not "better" simply by virtue of their hardcoreness.

And I think that this is what Bob was talking about. I think he was pointing out a failing of the hardcore community, not denigrating them in general. I also think that we all need to take some criticism and this one is dead on. (And I am not saying that I or my buddies are perfect either)

Don't worry Bob. I think they doth protest too much!!!

Warner Todd Huston

Frenchie_2006
02-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Do YOUR OWN RESEARCH FIRST. If you can't find it then go to the A/C forum and use the SEARCH function. About 90% of the questions asked over there by newbies have been asked before. The A/C forum is about trying to portray the common citizen and soldier during the War Between the States ACCURATELY. My personal knowledge of mainstream groups is research is done very little by individuals. Most rely on passed down reenactorisms.
This is a very fine forum for reading the hundreds of posts debating whose event was best or how many rounds can I get out of my pound of powder, but for true research on soldiers' equipment and CAMPAIGNING methods the A/C site is the best.
ew taylor

I'm so glad to see you think this forum has some use. Otherwise I'd suspect you're only here to pump up the AC Forum and run this one down.

major
02-18-2006, 10:18 AM
ew taylor

Ew taylor
This is a perfect example of what we are talking about. The question as to how many cartridges 1 pound of powder yields is a perfectly innocent and harmless question. It pertains to the practical aspects of reenacting but you chose to put it down because it doesnít fall in line with your vision of reenacting. The question was asked and had a couple of serious responses. It is true that a few decided to have a little fun with the subject and went off on an exaggerated tangent about counting, but that was all in fun and no one was hurt. If this question was asked on the AC board it would have generated the same response that you posted and that is what the problem is.

dustyswb
02-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Major,

And then there are posts like these, that anyone with ANY knowledge of what we do, would not have asked the question.

http://www.cwreenactors.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?topic_view=threads&p=434&t=127

major
02-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Dusty
Here we go again. I read the post and the follow-ups, and for the most part the reenactors that answered this mans post were civil. This was obviously a person that didnít understand what we do. He isnít being stupid or mean he just was uninformed. I know that a post like his can bring a smile or even a chuckle to seasoned CW reenactors but thatís no reason to be nasty as can happen on the AC forum. If this post was put on the AC forum the skies would have darkened, eyes would have started to glow, heads would start spinning and lightning would have struck (LOL). Over the 16 years that I have been in the hobby this subject comes up around the campfire every so often. The pros and cons are discussed and we move on to other subjects. I am sure you have touched on the subject at one time or another around your campfire. No need to be mean or put someone down just because they are uniformed.

ewtaylor
02-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Terry and Frenchie,
I wasn't trying to be mean or hurt anyone's feelings. I'm just trying to show the difference in the forums. The A/C forum tends to be on a more serious research minded scale. This forum (although sometimes i have seen a few good posts on research--mainly in the past) tends to bring up any and everything. This forum is the perfect site for the "fresh fish" to ask the "stupid" questions that are constantly be asked over there. It would probably help if those same fresh fish would ask their units' NCO. But alas, most people asking these questions are coming from Mainstream or historically incorrect units where there is NO research or knowledge. I went thru this problem when I belonged to this same type of unit as a fresh fish. I came to this forum and was informed (not always so gratiously) that most of what I had been taught by my NCO was historically incorrect. So it was then I decided to see what was being taught on the other forum. Yes, I got in trouble for not signing my name, asking a stupid question that had been asked 10000 times, and bringing up farbism. Instead of crying and running away it just made me do my research a little more.
Someone made a comment about not knowing how to do research. If you were able to find these forums on the WEB then how hard would it be to look up other things? There are thousands upon thousands of pictures of CW soldiers and civilians on the web. There are probably thousands of diaries and journals on the web. Almost every manual used by CW troops is on the web or the repros can be bought.
The A/C forum is a great place to learn. If you are a sensitive person and think you might be ridiculed on the forum then PM one of the more knowledgeable members instead.
Sorry to ruffle so many feathers,
ew taylor

nyczouave
02-18-2006, 07:20 PM
But alas, most people asking these questions are coming from Mainstream or historically incorrect units where there is NO research or knowledge.

This is a heck of a sweeping statement to make. Just because a unit is mainstream that in no way means that they do no research or that they are "historically incorrect". I know of a number of "mainstream" units who's research in regards to their own unit is not only rock solid but more complete and on going than many so called "hardcore" re-enactors who champion the "generic soldier". Many of whom are really aware of who's RDll Jacket they should be buying but not at all familiar with the historical scenario of the hard-kewel event they are attending.

You do a dis-service to the many mainstream units that do historical research. You are confusing the questions about how a "fresh fish" or "mainstream convert" can uprgrade their impressions(which is why they generally go over to the AC to begin with), with actual historical research about the war, the men who fought in it and the history of the period which many mainstream units do tons of. I am sorry that the unit you were in didn't. But it is wrong to paint the entire mainstream side of the hobby with that brush. All it does is support the many misconceptions about AC and piss off the many people who have posted many historically based threads on this forum which clearly you missed or chose not to read.

ewtaylor
02-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Mr. Spickler,
I said MOST of the people asking the questions. I did not say ALL Mainstreamers were lacking in knowledge. If that is the way it came across then I apologize. I should have said MOST mainstreamers and ALL historically incorrect units choose either to ignore the research or just don't care. And by the way, just because you wear something from an A/C approved vendor doesnt make you any kind of "hardkewl" person. I'm not trying to start a war over here, I'm just going by what Ive seen the last 5 years East and West.
ew taylor

13thKyCavCSA
02-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Robert
I know exactly what you are talking about. It seams that they hide in the shadows and then pounce if you make any comment that isnít in line with their idea of reenacting.

Terry,

Aren't you the fellow who had his AC account suspended for improper advertising?

major
02-18-2006, 10:31 PM
No, they got upset with me because I advocated doing dismounted Cavalry and they felt that a bayonet frog I was practically giving away was not up to there standards. At which point I asked to be removed because I felt I could not be as ďperfectĒ at reenacting as they were. I also made several post earlier on trying to get them to lighten up and not take themselves or reenacting to seriously. I have never regretted my decision to leave

MStuart
02-18-2006, 10:50 PM
The quickest way to have a post deleted and be neutered (figuratively) over there is to advocate and/or announce yourself as dismounted cavalry. It's akin to declaring Hamas a bunch of cool dudes. Not that us dismounted guys are welcomed with warm hugs and kisses here, either, but it's a tad over the top. At least to my sensitive persona anyway.

Mark

Did you hear about the dismounted cavalryman who went to the dentist and said "Doc, my teeth are turning yellow, what do I do?" And the Doc says "Wear a brown cravat!" No respect....thanks Rodney

Provost
02-18-2006, 11:39 PM
This is not a forum for pointing out the faults of other forums.

Our purpose is to discuss "our era" and how to best portray it. Running anyone down is not helpful in reaching that goal, whether they're proposing unique events or have somehow slighted us.

I'm going to lock this thread because I think we've said all that is constructive on the subject and the discussion seems to be headed in a negative direction.

Soon we'll be able to have several years worth of our posts in a searchable database, which will provide a valuable resource for everyone's research. If it were to become a means to dreg up old grudges and sling more mud it would say more about the character of those who engage in such things than anything else could.

My compliments to all who find kindred souls on the web. May you enjoy each other's company and prosper in your chosen path. There is room enough for us all.