PDA

View Full Version : 5th New York Cavalry Monument

5thNYcavalry
07-10-2006, 06:35 PM
One of the 5th New York Cavalry's monuments at Gettysburg is in ruin. The boot, sabre, and horse ear are broken off. There is a bolt missing on the back plaque. The path is overgrown and obscure. Does anyone know who we would contact to solve these problems? I feel it is a disgrace that the park sevices allowed the monument to fall into such disrepair

Frenchie
07-10-2006, 09:27 PM
I heard an item on NPR (the original "liberal talk radio network" LOL) about how metals are more valuable as scrap than ever before. An historic site in Pennsylvania lost a valuable bronze plaque; the theory is someone who needs quick money for drugs took it. I won't be surprised to hear that entire statues are being stolen to melt down for sale. I'd like to say something like we should give these thieves all the lead they can hold, but that would be politically incorrect :p

5thNYcavalry
07-11-2006, 05:37 PM
It's not metal though, its all rock, except for the plaques, which are still there.

Miss L
07-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Mr. Bishop:

GNMP has an 'adopt a monument' program. Anyone can adopt a monument, and twice a year visit the site and perform clean up and grounds keeping under the direction of the Park Service. If you're in a position to do so, that might solve the overgrown path problem.

As you may be aware, funding levels and staffing for the park keep falling - there is only so much money to go around. While any damage to any monument is deplorable, you probably have heard of the massive damage recently done to the 11th Massachusetts' monument and the statue at Smith's Battery. Private donations have been/are being collected to raise the funding necessary for replication and replacement of the destroyed portions. I don't know if that's possible with the NY monument, but you could contact the park directly and ask.

Gettysburg National Military Park
97 Taneytown Road
Gettysburg, PA 17325-2804

Phone: 717-334-1124
Fax: 717-334-1891

5thNYcavalry
07-12-2006, 09:11 PM
What happened to the 11th Massachusetts monument? I didn't hear about this.

tompritchett
07-12-2006, 10:35 PM
It was vandalized along with the the 114th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry monument and the 4th New York battery (Smith’s battery) monuments this past February.

Miss L
07-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Mr. Bishop:

The 3 monuments Mr. Pritchett mentioned were all massively damaged in one evening of destruction. The PA monument was toppled from its base, as was the statue on top of the NY one, which also had its head removed and is still mssing. The top of the MA monument had a stone arm holding a sword, which was also toppled. It shattered and is irreprable. The PA monument has been restored to its base. A 'matching' head for the NY monument has been located in NH and can be used to cast a mold to make a replacement of the missing head. As for the MA monument, I don't know what the status of that is... the entire top would have to be re-created.

There's plenty of info on the whole story and aftermath available on-line; perhaps someone could chime in and direct you. The vile cowards who perpetrated these acts are still unknown.