PDA

View Full Version : Last Full Measure of Devotion

Artyman
10-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Hey,

Does anyone know if Ted is still planning to make the third movie "Last Full Measure of Devotion"? I haven't heard anything recently about it. If he does he needs to get busy before Duvall gets any older:) .

Harry

GaWildcat
10-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Media mogul Ted Turner, who helped finance both Gettysburg and Gods and Generals, purchased the rights around the same time he purchased the rights for Gods and Generals. However, after Gods and Generals opened to poor box office in 2003, he sold the rights to The Last Full Measure [1]. There are no plans currently to produce the adaptation.

There is a film called The Last Full Measure in production for 2009, but it seems to be about Ssgt William H. Pitsenbarger, USAF MOH(P) 38th Aerospace Rescue & Recovery Squadron, KIA 4/11/1966.

Artyman
10-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Well Cripe!

Harry

GaWildcat
10-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Thank you for your service, and for your sacrifice [Welcome Home!

MBond057
10-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Harry,

I was just asking a fellow reenactor about the “Last Full Measure”. Now I know the scoop on it.

Thank you for your sacrifice to our Country. My oldest brother was KIA in 1970 in Nam. You have my fullest respect and admiration.

Rob Weaver
10-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Shaara himself said that LFM will never be made. Too much of an outlay of cash for a franchise that bombed. Pity, though, not just because the trilogy won't be finished, but also because LFM is a much stronger book than G&G with much more compelling character development. Shaara's Grant is better than any character in G&G.

Artyman
10-16-2008, 07:41 PM
It's all a matter of speculation now, but I think it would have been a very difficult movie to film. Even with modern computer stuff and all us reenactor types the scenes from Petersburg to Appomattox would have all been, and would have required, a giant format, certainly larger than even Fredericksburg or Gettysburg. I wonder how closely they'd have followed Shaara's book. Would Bedford Forrest's hold out till the end been included? Jefferson Davis' flight with the CS government? Stuart's death, Lincoln's death? March to the sea? Or the series of battles that led to Petersburg? Gordon at Fort Stedman? Would they have shown Custer standing on the porch or behind Grant during the surrender? Would they show Chamberlain being wounded? Certainly the end of the war didn't happen overnight. Guess we'll never know.

Harry

8thILCavalry
10-17-2008, 03:24 AM
I think it should be made like Deadwood on HBO. A mini series.

But for sure starring Jeff Daniels and Robert Duvall.