PDA

View Full Version : Gettysburg (Last scene 2nd tape VHS)

Ol'Hickory
07-09-2006, 06:50 AM
In the last scene of Gettysbrug where Joshua chamberlin and his brother meet up (After the confederate's charge) the unions are clearing up their dead etc.

When the camera follows Joshua I noticed that just before Josh and Tom met again a union soldier shot something on the floor with a revolver.

What can this be? It may be a wounded horse but I couldent make it out.

I unfortunatly got Gettysburg before I got my DVD player so I can pause but its not easy to see what it is.

Cheers,

Stuart

AzTrooper
07-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Stuart,
I am pretty sure that your right, it is a wounded horse.
Respectfully,
John Rogers

AP Hill
07-10-2006, 10:17 AM
...it was meant to be a wounded/suffering mule or horse...as opossed to a wounded/suffering Reb!

Ambrose

Ol'Hickory
07-11-2006, 11:25 AM
I know I thought well they wouldent shoot a suffering Reb..it depends I guess i'm sure that happend.

I mean if had lost both my legs or something then i'd ask to be shot, poor horse really, they dident do anything wrong.

AP Hill
07-16-2006, 12:46 PM
...the Yanks would have given any Reb the Coup de Grace'...even those grivously wounded. Just wasnt Christian.

Your right about the horses and mules...historians say some 5000 died on the field.

Ambrose

Gary
07-17-2006, 08:00 AM
Concur with A.P. Hill. I think there were a few cases, but never took note of them. The worse was a Louisiana Tiger who obliged a wounded Union soldier by bashing his brains out. It was a barbaric act that shocked most Confederates. There's another case where one wounded Confederate wanted to do himself in and when the shocked Union soldiers realized it, they fired over his head and yelled to discourage him. To the dismay of the Yankees, he succeeded anyway. Unlike the LA Tiger mentioned earlier, at the point that the wounded Confederate wanted to kill himself, his enemies, the Yankees, no longer saw him as a Confederate but as a wounded man in need of medical care and worthy of attention. War brings out both the best and the worse in mankind.