PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Confederate Artillery unit in Ohio

Artyman
10-10-2008, 12:22 AM
Sirs:

This is my first post. Hope you will forgive the rather abrupt request right outa' the box!

I am an experienced artilleryman, having had many safe and successful years of Rev War participation. I commanded the Tenth Virginia Regiment (NWTA), Harrison's Artillery, once commanded the left wing of the artillery line at the 1981 Yorktown bicentennial (50 guns), served as an artillery safety inspector at the 1985 Gettysburg event, taught numerous seminars at "School of the Soldier" and the like. I'm published, have written several articles in "The Artilleryman", and even manufactured Rev War gun carriages, three of which are at Colonial Williamsburg to name a few. I've live fired smoothbore cannon at Greenfield Village and Fort Dix. Back in the 70's I even competed in a few N-SSA matches.

I have been out of the hobby for 18 years now, having left to run a small business, and am now looking to get back into living history. I am interested more in Civil War than Rev War (always have been) and so would like to join an existing Confederate battery. I seek no rank or favor, but just want to get the smell back! I have most of the uniform, even a .54 Sharps carbine, and can afford whatever else I need. Maybe I'll spring for a Parrot Rifle in a year or two, but right now I just want to spend my retirement doing what I like again. I know the difference between being authentic and farby well enough.

I lost my right arm in Viet Nam in 1970. Because of that I figure I'd be a better rebel than a federal. It's a good wound to have for reenacting purposes I suppose, but historically I'm sure the Federals would have forced me out being so wounded. Don't worry about that though, I can (and do) more than most, and better than many. I know the CW artillery drill, most of the history, and eat hard tack as a snack. I wear a kepi around town rather than a ball cap. I cast my own lead and even roll and use my own combustible pistol and Sharps cartridges. I have plenty of spare time and like to travel.

When I'm not doing all that I restore classic Mustangs.

Any units out there in Ohio looking for a recruit?

I remain,

Your most humble and obedient servant,

Harry

Green Ohioian SS
10-13-2008, 05:15 PM
which part of ohio are you from?

Artyman
10-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Galion area, near Mansfield!

Green Ohioian SS
10-13-2008, 09:26 PM
I`m very good friends with members of the 21st Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery/ Parker`s Virginia Battery and they also have a Berdan Unit within the group 1st U.S.S.S. Co. G They are from the Northwest Ohio area with members from Toledo, Genoa, Norwalk, Oak Harbor. This is their website www.21ovla.com. They`re a great group of guys. Also I`m going to Gettysburg with them to do a Living History at Pitzer`s Woods as Parker's Battery.

Artyman
10-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Joseph,

Thanks! I heard of these guys, and sent them an eMail two or three months ago. They never replied. Carey is pretty close to Galion/Marion area and It's just what I'm looking for.

I'll try their site again. Do you know an address of an individual member I can contact?

Harry

Green Ohioian SS
10-14-2008, 02:57 AM
Yeah I can give you their 1st Lt. phone number. Hey lives right by my here in Northwood. His name is Mike Payden Sr. and his phone number is 419-693-2392.

johnerys
10-15-2008, 06:45 AM
Looks like you may have found what you were looking for, but if you still want to come to the Nov. meeting and check us out send me a PM and I'll give you the address.

Artyman
10-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Ain't found it yit. I'm still shoppin'. I'm commin up to see you guys in November. Got a nice PM from your CO!

Harry