PDA

View Full Version : Man battle stations - prepare to repel spambots

Provost
10-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Due to one very misguided click I have validated about 400 spambots and given them access to the forums.

Prepare for a deluge of what I've been trying to keep out of here for the last few years. Might be a good idea to keep your kids off here for a week or so.

Please do NOT send me alerts/notes about the messages until next week because that will only clog up my box unnecessarily. We'll find these users and eliminate them, but it's going to take a few days to do it.

My deepest apologies but I hope you'll bear with us while we weather this storm.

Provost

Provost
10-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Due to the overwhelming number of spambots using Gmail, I've decided to block new members access via this email provider at this time. I'm just overwhelmed.

If that is your only souce of email access, please email me and we'll see if I can work around the software to get you in, but please don't ask for any help for the next week or so until I get this other problem under control.

If you are a current member here and have this email provider you should not have any interference with your use of the forums.

Thanks.

Provost

Sgt_Pepper
10-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Please do NOT send me alerts/notes about the messages until next week because that will only clog up my box unnecessarily.

That's going to happen anyway. There's always someone who doesn't get the word.

All stations manned and ready, standing by, over.

tompritchett
10-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Also, I would strongly urge that no-one hit on any of the links. There are a new set of virus that use these types of "spam" to get users to link to in order to infect their computers, especially if there is a chance that your virus protection software is not current. Some of the newer versions of these viruses are currently running ahead of the some of the virus protection programs to filter them out.

tompritchett
10-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Tell me about it, I must have gotten at least twenty Alerts in just the time since I first logged in here and started deleting threads.

Provost
10-10-2008, 01:13 AM
We seem to have won the first round. I think we got most of the pesky devils. Thanks to the mods for their vigilance.

If you see a post by "Guest" that means that I've erased/deleted the username used to post the thread.

It's now ok to send alerts again. What I thought was going to take me about two days to do by hand I found a more efficient way to do.

If you've signed up since Sept 25 and found your username deleted, don't panic, just email me and we'll get it squared away. I tried to keep real people and toss out the spambots, but I may have tossed a few babies with the, umm, bathwater.

Also, Yahoo's email spam filter seems to be filtering out alerts and email sent through our forum software. :( I've tried to break it of this habit with no success so far. If anyone knows how to hardwire things to the inbox and bypass the spam filter, I'm all ears, I can't find the right setting.

If you use Gmail, I'm going to leave it banned for a while. Frankly, I'm tired of the sorting. The burden will now be on you to notify me. I don't know how long I'll run it this way, but until we get an upgrade to the software, I just can't continue to spend hours at this. Hope you understand.

Sgt. you may dismiss the crew from battle stations and issue an extra ration of grog. ;) Well done.

Provost

Spinster
10-10-2008, 02:08 AM
Grog? There's Grog?

Well, now, I would have signed up for this duty MUCH earlier if I'd known there was Grog! :cool:

tompritchett
10-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Good news. As far as I can tell, no new spam attacks since at 12:30.

Sgt_Pepper
10-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Grog? There's Grog?

Well, now, I would have signed up for this duty MUCH earlier if I'd known there was Grog! :cool:
Keep it under your hat, Dear Lady. If word of it were made general, everyone would be clamoring to be a moderator :D

Ephraim_Zook
10-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Grog? There's Grog?

My dear Mrs L --

All this while I thought you were a teetotal. Now that you've disabused me of that idea I no longer know what to think... :roll: Next time we play in the same sandbox together I'll save you some good Polish blackberry brandy. Not only will it cure what ails you, it's a wonderful prophylaxis for imaginary infirmities. Kind of like W.C. Fields saying that he carried a little bottle in the event of snake bites, and just in case, a small snake.

Zook

Spinster
10-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Never have seen me without an apron on, have you Zookie?

And that apron ALWAYS has a pocket.

Of course, the bottle can just as easily have switchel in it as something stronger.