PDA

View Full Version : Gen'l Sherman/John Wayne.....

sbl
10-09-2008, 10:05 AM
John Wayne as General Sherman in How the West Was Won.
I just noticed the bandana on his left hand. Sherman was wounded in the hand at Shiloh, the battle recreated in the movie. Nice detail.

http://members.cox.net/icastones/HTWWW/pics/publicity/John_Wayne-pub1.jpg

huntdaw
10-09-2008, 12:12 PM
I had noticed that in the movie but had never made the connection. Never was quite sure about Wayne playing Sherman though - just didn't seem to fit for some reason.

GaWildcat
10-09-2008, 12:18 PM
He even has a coat on!!

sbl
10-09-2008, 02:20 PM
"He even has a coat on!!"

GA, Can you explain?

GaWildcat
10-09-2008, 04:22 PM
GA, Can you explain?

Yup. Check out most of the other times The Duke portrays a CW or IW Army officer.. shirt sleeves and yellow braces, and yellow scarves.. Re: The Horse Soldiers, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Fort Apache, and Rio Grande. In Fort Apache, he only really wears a coat, or rather a fatigue blouse (and havelock!) after he assumes command when Col THursday is killed, in Rio Grande, only at dinner, and the same can be said of SWaYR.. John Ford cavalry.

Fenian
10-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Bobby, You are right on target about John Ford's lack of authenticity in his cavalry trilogy and The Horse Soldiers. He also was huge on stereotypes. That's coming from the GGGrandson of a Union Soldier who came over from Ireland in 1859 and later enlisted in the Union Army (honest to God we think about things other than drinking!?!). But I feel all of those films played a huge part in igniting the interest of so many young people in this era. They made us proud of being Americans where-ever we came from and always honored (albeit sometimes tongue in cheek) the American serviceman. I'm 60 years old but still get a lump in my throat whenever I see the scene where Capt. Nathan Brittles gets called back and made Chief of Scouts. Just like my old Colts... they don't make them like that anymore! Bud

sbl
10-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Oh!!! I thought GA ment Sherman! :)

3rd_PA_Artillery
10-09-2008, 06:43 PM
I had noticed that in the movie but had never made the connection. Never was quite sure about Wayne playing Sherman though - just didn't seem to fit for some reason.

I don't know, I think he looks just like Sherman.

sbl
10-09-2008, 06:45 PM
That's Hollywood! Remember Hollywood gave us those great myths! The John Ford Westerns also were fairer to the Native Americans and Mexicans allowing them some dignity.

Fenian
10-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Scott,You are so right. Native Americans went through a couple of decades of disgraceful stuff. Has anyone ever seen the cemetery at Carlilse.....there's an eyeopener.I guess Dancing with Wolves has done something to turn some of that around. B

Sgt_Pepper
10-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Gentlemen, this is the Books, Films & Videos sub-forum. We have a Whine Cellar for complaining about all the woe, despair and agony the white man has visited upon this earthly vale of sorrow.

sbl
10-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Gentlemen, this is the Books, Films & Videos sub-forum. We have a Whine Cellar for complaining about all the woe, despair and agony the white man has visited upon this earthly vale of sorrow.

Not even in Historical Films? With John Wayne?

Pete K
10-10-2008, 02:13 PM
I think Harry Morgan was a great casting call as Grant. About the same age when the film was made, not too bad of a beard for the era in which the film was made, and a native midwesterner as well... But again I may just be feeling nostalgic for the early films which got me intersted in history too.

Radar
10-10-2008, 03:42 PM

This has been about "historical" films. I vote for John Wayne films counting, even though they may not be completely accurate.

Abrams
10-10-2008, 05:14 PM
I always thought Chuck Norris would make a good General Sherman. Several photos I have seen of the General look an awful lot like Chuck Norris.

Then again, maybe it's just me.

John Wayne movies should be required viewing in grade schools, IMO :)

Sgt_Pepper
10-10-2008, 05:21 PM
This has been about "historical" films. I vote for John Wayne films counting, even though they may not be completely accurate.
I said nothing about John Wayne films; they are a favorite of mine as well. I am trying to make it clear that I do not intend to let this sub-forum be contaminated with subjects that rightly belong in the Whine Cellar.

sbl
10-10-2008, 07:44 PM
[Col. Thursday is addressing the officers]
Lt. Col. Thursday: Gentlemen, I did not seek this command, but since it's been assigned me, I intend to make this regiment the finest on the frontier. I fully realize that prolonged duty in a small outpost can lead to carelessness... and inefficiency and laxity in dress and deportment. I call it to your attention that only one of you has reported here this morning properly dressed. The uniform, gentlemen, is not a subject for individual, whimsical expression. We're not cowboys at this post... or freighters with a load of alfalfa.

I was reminded of that line when I'd see guys in what is supposed to be a uniform impression, doing their individual impression. Green brass, animal parts, etc.

Sgt_Pepper
10-11-2008, 01:04 AM
(Patton and his aides enter the officer's mess.)
Cook: Up bright and early, General? Uh, breakfast?
Patton: Am I to understand that my officers have already finished eating?
Cook: Uh, well, we're open from six to eight. Most of the men are just coming in now.
(He indicates two officers who enter the mess hall, stop and come to stiff attention.)
Patton: Please inform these men that the mess hall is closed.
Cook: But sir, it's only a quarter 'til eight.
Patton: From now on you will open at six, and no man will be admitted after six-fifteen. Where are your leggings?
Cook: Leggings? Oh ****, General sir, I'm a cook.
Patton: You're a soldier. Twenty dollar fine.
(Two more officers enter the mess hall. Patton looks them over.)
Patton: Gentlemen, from this moment, any soldier without leggings, without a helmet, without a tie, any man with unshined shoes or a soiled uniform... is going to be skinned.
(The cook swallows hard.)

MtVernon
10-11-2008, 01:13 AM
I always thought Chuck Norris would make a good General Sherman. Several photos I have seen of the General look an awful lot like Chuck Norris.

Then again, maybe it's just me.

John Wayne movies should be required viewing in grade schools, IMO :)
Oh man! You nailed it! I never saw that. Of course, all due respect, Norris is a little more simian. (Don't hurt me, Chuck!)

sbl
10-11-2008, 06:40 AM
Oh man! You nailed it! I never saw that. Of course, all due respect, Norris is a little more simian. (Don't hurt me, Chuck!)

Maybe Chuck could portray Braxton Bragg.