PDA

View Full Version : This may be pointless, but... San Francisco, CA ?

ArtillaryRules
10-07-2008, 09:42 AM
so far, i have only found one group relatively close to me (100 miles north) called the blue-grey skirmishers.

they do a combination of reenacting and skirmishing almost monthly with a membership of about 100.

without a car of my own, that's just too far.

has anyone heard of any other black powder, skirmishers, or reenactor groups actually in the bay area ?

a group in petaluma didn't respond and they also are 60 miles north while the group in santa cruz is also too far (75 miles south).

maybe i should just start my own, hummmm.

any takers ?

MtVernon
10-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Sure! There's the American Civil War Association (www.ACWA.org) of which I am a member, and the National Civil War Association (www.NCWA.org), both in Northern California and with different schedules/sites throughout the year. Both are very active and at various times meet at the same events, as we will at Fresno the weekend of the 18th. These two organizations are the biggest in the region, but are not the only ones. More information can be obtained at a forum designed specifically for West Coast reenacting at www.westcoastcampaigner.com.

GaWildcat
10-07-2008, 10:56 AM
J.C.,

Wow been a long time since I was a member of the NCWA back in the 80s, with the 1st VA Inf, and then 9th VA Cav. THanks for the trip down memory lane. I remember the guy that commanded the old First, and I think he helped get the ACWA going, feller named Bill Jones. Oh the memories of the Farby 80s! LOL

ArtillaryRules
10-07-2008, 12:31 PM
mtvernon,

that is great information !

i've started seeing places i actually know and have been to - san francisco, benicia, santa clara, orinda, etc.

now to start sending emails and see about joining, etc.

as i have never been a reenactor i will be starting from scratch and need to consider just how far into this i can go. i came here many months ago when a search came up with hits for the weapon i was looking for - the lemat.

one thing led to another and i found myself jumping between muzzleloading forums, the n-ssa, and cwreenactors with skirmishing as my new objective. i've been told that few members use a lemat for these events so even that issue is still unresolved, but i'm getting closer.

drop me a line if you want to put in some range time together. i'm always the only one burning goex at san leandro. would richmond be any better ?

~daniel~

ps. i'm looking into becoming a field rep for nmlra and starting a club right here in the city - possibly the first and only.

mboyce
10-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Maybe you could look into becoming a volunteer at that fort under the bridge,,can't remember the name, it was manned during the war. When I went there a few years ago there were uniformed interpreters.

GaWildcat
10-08-2008, 12:20 AM
That would be Fort Point. Oh the happy hours of my youth I spent wandering its casemates, and the barbette tier. Good times... Good times. BTW its the only WBTS era brick fortification left on the west coast. The other was a battery on Isla los Alacatraces...... Alcatraz

Rob Weaver
10-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Bobby: Do you remember when the "hardcore" nickname for the 1st VA was "The Smurfs?" I was with the NCWA back in the mid-80s: 19th, later 14th Indiana.

GaWildcat
10-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Bobby: Do you remember when the "hardcore" nickname for the 1st VA was "The Smurfs?" I was with the NCWA back in the mid-80s: 19th, later 14th Indiana.

Oh dear heavens, yes.. I was in the 1st then! LOL I guess we all gotta start somewhere;) Often wonder what happened to the old boys. Ironically I ran into Pat Wullenjohn's son at Waynesboro GA a couple years back.. Fond memories of serving under Chuck Wullenjohn and Gary Pennock

Rob Weaver
10-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Oh dear heavens, yes.. I was in the 1st then! LOL I guess we all gotta start somewhere;) Often wonder what happened to the old boys. Ironically I ran into Pat Wullenjohn's son at Waynesboro GA a couple years back.. Fond memories of serving under Chuck Wullenjohn and Gary Pennock
I remember both of them as well. I know the 14th Ind, became the 7th WV six or seven years ago, and a number of the guys I knew are no longer reenacting. We threw a lot of acrimonious words at each other back then. I apologize.

GaWildcat
10-09-2008, 08:49 AM
If your apologizing to me, no need. I dont remember any of the politics from back then.. I was 15 or 16 year old kid..All I really remember are the good times. Though I do recall a big to do with one of the Yankee cav units... and a serious trial by the Association at Fort Point one year.. still dont know what that was about!

Rob Weaver
10-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Now that's grace!
I enjoyed the NCWA a lot. I'd reenacted with the Brigade of the American Revolution, so I had high standards of material culture when I started doing Civil War out in California. Out there, I learned the concept of actually using your gear. My passion for the Iron Brigade started there, too.

GaWildcat
10-09-2008, 10:44 PM
My material culture kinda sucked.... I just got what they told me, and looking at some pictures from back then... ooooh sad is the only thing I can think of... really really sad. Embarrassed to let ANYONE see those snaps!!:oops:

Spinster
10-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Bobby,

Don't be. One of the most educational slide shows I've ever seen was done by a feller who jined up in the Centennial years. It was simply pictures of him, in uniform, from the 'work pants' years, through the Simplicity patterns, through Jarnigan ( and I do remember when Jarnigan was the be-all and end-all) and finally to a custom made, custom fabric officers uniform drawn directly from the orginal.

In each case, what he had on for the years shown was the ultimate state of the hobby at that time. The best research, the best fabrics, the best reproduction available at that time.

Really, those older images are nothing to be embarassed about--they simply illustrate more than anything how much closer we've gotten.

And, compared to the originals, how much further we have to go.

MtVernon
10-10-2008, 12:35 AM
Maybe you could look into becoming a volunteer at that fort under the bridge,,can't remember the name, it was manned during the war. When I went there a few years ago there were uniformed interpreters.

My company (20th Maine, Co. G) puts on a living history day twice a year in January and August at Fort Point (which was renamed Fort Winfield Scott in 1882, but the name never caught on). For we reenactors out West, there are precious few places we can go and inhabit a place built during the era of our field of interest.

GaWildcat
10-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Thank you for those wonderful words of encouragement! I just wish I still had the build I had then, but I will never see the build of a lanky high school student EVER again.:wink:

Did you get my email? Looking forward to finally meeting you at New Manchester!

Spinster
10-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Yessir. Have it on the calendar.