PDA

View Full Version : Overshirts

MStuart
07-06-2006, 12:02 PM
In "Bull Run to Bull Run", Lt. George Baylor of the 12th Va. Cavalry mentions an 1863 incident which netted him 2 "overshirts" from a sutlers supplies. Can someone define an overshirt? Would this be the reenactor "battleshirt"?

Mark

VaTrooper
07-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Mark,
I think that battleshirts start their life as an overshirt and it isnt till the trim is added that they get the "battleshirt" label.

ewtaylor
07-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Mark,
I think that battleshirts start their life as an overshirt and it isnt till the trim is added that they get the "battleshirt" label.

That pretty much sums it up. Overshirts were civilian work shirts worn OVER your normal shirt. These were very popular in the South and a cheap way to have a uniform. Sometimes entire companies wore them. They were made out of lots of different durable material. I think the most common were wool flannel and denim (cotton) but I may be wrong. Not all overshirts (battleshirts) had trim, but it appears most of the surviving ones did. I think its one of those things any respectable CS reenactor should have in his closet-lol. As a matter of fact, over on the A/C forum this month's bully buy is Battleshirts!!
ew taylor

tenfed1861
07-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Other materials were jeancloth,wool flannel,and cotton jean.The problem is that different companies wore different colors.Some wore dark grays,others light,some wore blue.As far as suppliers,you'll have to shop around.I know Tim Arnold and Pat Landrum make some,as well as Cody Mobley.
I personally got mine from Wayne.It started as a regular shirt,but it was too big.I simply added hard rubber buttons from Blockade Runner,add a cravet to that and I have a desent early war impression if I say so myself.
Cullen Smith

captdougofky
07-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I bought 2 battleshirts from a lady last year that had pockets on them. I do not know if they are correct but they sure are handy with the pockets. If they are wrong to have pockets please inform.

Thanks Doug
Lyons Battery
Kentucky

VaTrooper
07-06-2006, 03:54 PM
The images Ive seen show them with and without pockets.