PDA

View Full Version : Loyalist Arms, good or bad???

John1862
07-05-2006, 07:36 PM
I am in need of a nice 1842 musket, and through checking the one I found on loyalist arms' site looks great, and for the price even better. And in all the gun looks maybe more authentic marking wise than the armisport. Does anyone know/have/seen anything about these guns? I know the parts are made in India, but it is so tempting.
Thanks

http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/springfield1842.html

VaTrooper
07-05-2006, 07:52 PM
I cant speak for that gun but I did compare pictures of their British Tower pistol to originals and it stunk.

reb64
07-05-2006, 10:33 PM
I think gravesmercantile sells thm, found in the sutler section. He is a fellow reenactor and can give a fair review.

31stWisconsin
07-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Fit and finish look average.
I'm pretty sure Indian muskets use beechwood or some local wood. (Not American Walnut)

Meh, I've heard nothing but good things about the 1842 (I've heard it's better than their 1861 and 1853) If it was up to me I'd spend the hundred more for the Armi Sport but I'm sure this is a quite serviceable weapon.

John1862
07-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Fit and finish look average.
I'm pretty sure Indian muskets use beechwood or some local wood. (Not American Walnut)

Meh, I've heard nothing but good things about the 1842 (I've heard it's better than their 1861 and 1853) If it was up to me I'd spend the hundred more for the Armi Sport but I'm sure this is a quite serviceable weapon.

Yeah, I guess it is possible to refinish the stock, but what is really nice about the loyalist arms is that there are no visible modern markings on the weapon, which saves a good $100 maybe, and what almost sells me is that the ramrod that comes with it is a 1 piece forged one, and Ive broken 3 already.

vicka
07-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Go to the Aucthentic Campaigner BB and using their 'search' function enter "Loyalist Arms". This topic was discussed there, and one entry does concentrate on the model 1842 that LA sells.
Steve Sullivan
46th Illinois

VaTrooper
07-06-2006, 01:32 PM
I did the AC search and read over everything, seems the general opinion is to spend the extra $ and get an Italian.

RebelCapt
07-06-2006, 08:55 PM
I purchased the 1847 and we had it here last week. We like it very much. The stock looks to me to have a nice linseed oil finish. And yes, you are right about the markings. There are a few design flaws, such as the front band being too far forward, that will be corrected on the next run. All in all I think it's nice piece. The only thing I personnaly did not like was the oversized saddle bar.
When I say had it, I mean it's on it's way back to LA. We could not get it to shoot, not without some doing. I'm am not concerned though. LA is falling over themselves to correct the issue, replace or refund. They are even covering shipping both ways. They feel it's minor issue with the flash channel. CavMaj has their tower and it shoots fine.
I am not concerned about this issue at all. Blair Higgins has gone out of his way in communications and service. He personally guarantees that this will be resolved before he ships it or it's replacement back to me. I am inclined to believe him. If I doubted it, I would have taken the refund offered to me.
I am not personally keeping it. I am trying to lighten my load on my bad shoulder, so I got a Maynard. However one of our troopers is keeping it and loves it.
I'll let you know how it works out.

bob 125th nysvi
07-08-2006, 07:35 PM
I did the AC search and read over everything, seems the general opinion is to spend the extra $ and get an Italian.

Over on AC USUALLY is spend the extra money.

I'm not sure but I think most of those guys have a printing press in their basement.

God bless thought they keep the high end goods coming.

Bob Sandusky
CO C 125th NYSVI
Esperance NY