PDA

View Full Version : Forming for Parade

RJSamp
09-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Would be interested in when, where, and how many bugle calls, drum beats, fife tunes YOUR unit (not the manuals nor do I want them cited!, nor someone elses unit) uses to assemble, say, a 200 man battalion. Let's say this is Sunday morning in July, so you've gotten over the early season who stands where issues for a company and have previously formed up on Saturday so the Captains know who is the color company, 10th company, etc.

We may be surprised at the answers!

Hardtack Herring
09-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Here is how The Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums would form a battalion for parade.

1. We would play musicians call to form the field music

2. we would sound the assembly to form the companys.

3. we the field music would march to the parade ground

4. We would sound the adjutaunts call to call him to the parade ground to set the line.

5th. The colors would be posted

6th. we would play to the colors to call the Inf Co's to the established line on the parade ground

7th We would play tunes as the battalion formed.

8th. Once the last Company is online we would stop playing

9th. Wait untill the order to beat off.

10th Play 3 cheers

11th. Right after and I mean right after three cheers we step off playing a tune or a troop and troop the line.

12th After the trooping of the line is finished and we have returned to our starting position on the right end of the line where we finish the strain out and end with the 3 Cheers.

That is how we do it.

RJSamp
09-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Here is how The Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums would form a battalion for parade.

1. We would play musicians call to form the field music

2. we would sound the assembly to form the companys.

3. we the field music would march to the parade ground

4. We would sound the adjutaunts call to call him to the parade ground to set the line.

5th. The colors would be posted

6th. we would play to the colors to call the Inf Co's to the established line on the parade ground

7th We would play tunes as the battalion formed.

8th. Once the last Company is online we would stop playing

9th. Wait untill the order to beat off.

10th Play 3 cheers

11th. Right after and I mean right after three cheers we step off playing a tune or a troop and troop the line.

12th After the trooping of the line is finished and we have returned to our starting position on the right end of the line where we finish the strain out and end with the 3 Cheers.

That is how we do it.

You were missed at Chicka145.

Am sure you adjust your trooping based on space available, terrain, trees, spectators etc. Let me ask the dumb questions:

1. if you have 12+ musicians do you form 2 ranks of 6+ or a 'column of 4's' or something else (like a wedge).

2. How do you turn around at the far end....right oblique to gain space and then a big left wheel to come around? by file right and then countermarch left, halt, front? or do a by FILES countermarch through each other (like hitting a wall and bouncing back)? Oh a 4th one (saw this at Ft. Delaware): march straight down, big wheel to the right, oblique back to your original march line, and then forward.

3. Do you do a big wheel at the return end and come back to 'home' or another method?

4. Do you expect someone (anyone) to cheer during Three Cheers? Is this actually an orchestrated Huzzah, instead of saying Hip Hip?

We only have 3 - 7 musician's in our battalion (all quite excellent, am sure you know Steve Smunt who joined you at At High Tide for your F&D jam?) so would like to know how bigger field music's Parade.

Realize my original question was about Parade, but do you ever put a Wall of Drums up front for a Company front Review?

THANKS!!!

Hardtack Herring
09-25-2008, 11:10 PM
1. We form two ranks for the most part....Fifes to the front, Snares to the rear and the Bass in the back. This is how we are lined up at the start of the parade..... On the right of the line. At times we may have an additional rank of snare drums.

2. After 3 cheers is sounded and we have started the troop we march straight out a few paces..... Wheel to the left and march straight down the line, Once at the end we wheel right until parallel with the Soldiers. Then we counter march to the left marching towards the soldiers ( only for a few steps) and then left wheel and march straight back down the line.

Once we get back to the end ( A Little Past) we right wheel and march straight long enough for us to get past the line setting us up for a perfect right wheel back (and a couple steps forward) into our original position.

3. I think this was explained in #2

4. No..... No cheers from soldiers. Just a Tiger and a GRRRRRRRR....LOL.... Heck No. We play Three Cheers on the Fifes and Drums

I hope you find this helpful. This is how we do it.

As for a wall of drums....No we have never done that before.

Regular DOC
12-19-2008, 08:10 PM
You were missed at Chicka145.

Am sure you adjust your trooping based on space available, terrain, trees, spectators etc. Let me ask the dumb questions:

1. if you have 12+ musicians do you form 2 ranks of 6+ or a 'column of 4's' or something else (like a wedge).

2. How do you turn around at the far end....right oblique to gain space and then a big left wheel to come around? by file right and then countermarch left, halt, front? or do a by FILES countermarch through each other (like hitting a wall and bouncing back)? Oh a 4th one (saw this at Ft. Delaware): march straight down, big wheel to the right, oblique back to your original march line, and then forward.

3. Do you do a big wheel at the return end and come back to 'home' or another method?

4. Do you expect someone (anyone) to cheer during Three Cheers? Is this actually an orchestrated Huzzah, instead of saying Hip Hip?

We only have 3 - 7 musician's in our battalion (all quite excellent, am sure you know Steve Smunt who joined you at At High Tide for your F&D jam?) so would like to know how bigger field music's Parade.

Realize my original question was about Parade, but do you ever put a Wall of Drums up front for a Company front Review?

THANKS!!!

RJ

Speaking of Chickamauga 145th if the Topographical Engineers had formed the parade how would it have gone.

Take Care partner
Brian

Buffalo Soldier Bugler
01-07-2009, 06:25 PM
I am sure glad I found this forum - all kinda information

MD_Independent26
01-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Good to see a new face from time to time...
www.authentic-campaigner.com is pretty good, too...

Bill Birney
Fusils de Columbia