PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, and about "Dixie"

Danny
09-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks, Tom and 5string, for your services. Great new opportunity on this subject. I'll assume based on the initial requests that this thread isn't actually just for "military musicians impressions" (drums, fifes, bugles) but recreational musicians impressions as well (fiddle, jaw-harp, harmonica, concertina, bones, or even banjo and guitar).

But to start off here's a little re-post about the song "Dixie", something we field musicians get asked -- i.e. How did a song created in 1859 by a Northern blackface Minstrel stage performer (Ohioan Daniel D. Emmett, a Unionist to boot) become the unofficial CSA anthem?

Well, for one thing the words were changed from the original unpolitical stage lyrics to include some Southern digs. Those revised lyrics for "Dixie" became the unofficial Confederate anthem in large part because of Carlo Patti, a somewhat famous violinist who travelled with his child-prodigy sister and and famous pianist and conductor Louis Gottschalk before the war. That group played arrangements of the original "Dixie" often before the war in concerts all over the U.S. and Cuba.

By 1861 Carlo was a conductor himself. He chose to play "Dixie" at a performance in New Orleans just as the South was mobilizing for the certain War of Rebellion to come. The performance was sung with the revised lyrics to as the background song for a patriotic stage walk-around that praised Southern pride.

The New Orleans Washington Artillery soon after picked it up as a quick-step for their unit, and the rest is history. (source: a story in The Richmond Dispatch, March 19, 1893).

btw Carlo served in the CSA army. A photograph of Carlo's young sister, Adelina Patti, was found in the vest pocket of the just-killed John Wilkes Booth. Adelina survived into the 20th century and her singing was recorded.

Dan Wykes

5strings
09-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks, Tom and 5string, for your services. Great new opportunity on this subject. I'll assume based on the initial requests that this thread isn't actually just for "military musicians impressions" (drums, fifes, bugles) but recreational musicians impressions as well (fiddle, jaw-harp, harmonica, concertina, bones, or even banjo and guitar).

Dan Wykes

Danny,
Your assumption is correct.