PDA

View Full Version : A thought just occurred to me...

flattop32355
07-05-2006, 03:49 PM
It is not too long after Chancellorsville; Jackson is dead. The ANV has already been divided into three corps instead of two.

R.E. Lee suffers an incapacitating heart attack (he did seem to have a heart ailment, and was not feeling well at the time), and is no longer able to command for the foreseeable future.

My questions to you: Who is given command of the ANV? Is it a subordinate or an outsider? If a subordinate, who moves up into the top vacated position?

Does the second invasion of the North still occur? If not, what does happen?

I see a number of possibilities, but have my own favorites.

VaTrooper
07-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Longstreet? The invasion but possibly not Pickets charge?

HighPrvt
07-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Bragg, or Johnston...

Kimmel
07-05-2006, 05:29 PM
How about Gordon?

MStuart
07-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Who was currying the most favor with President Davis at the time?

Mark

Trimmings
07-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Joe Johnston was certainly looking for something to do, and Richmond was still ignoring the situation leading up to the Vicksburg fiasco. Let's go with Joe. With the demoralized Army of the Potomac crushed and sent reeling back to Washington City, it is only a matter of time before Johnston goes on defensive and begins a slow retreat southward, but where would he stop? The James River, the Roanoke River, or the Cape Fear River? The Cooper?

Ray Prosten

tompritchett
07-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Definitely not Bragg. At the time he was still getting pushed around by Roscran's Army of the Cumberland. His only true success, Chickamauga, was not until after the Gettysburg campaign.

MStuart
07-06-2006, 08:56 AM
I have to go with Longstreet or Ewell. And I mention Ewell because this would have happened before his famous stop at the Gettysburg Stuckey's which prevented his first day push.

Mark

HighPrvt
07-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Definitely not Bragg. At the time he was still getting pushed around by Roscran's Army of the Cumberland. His only true success, Chickamauga, was not until after the Gettysburg campaign.
Your ignoring thr politics, Bragg was buddies with Davis.

flattop32355
07-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Your ignoring thr politics, Bragg was buddies with Davis.

I can't see Davis transferring Bragg to the ANV when he was otherwise engaged in Tennessee. Joe Johnston is a popular option, but Davis didn't like him and seemed to be freezing him out of active command. Also, had he adequately recovered by then from his wounding in the Peninsula Campaign?

I'd have to hand command to Longstreet, and would probably advance Hood rather than McLaws or Pickett, or someone from the other Corps, to command First Corps.

As far as whether the Second Invasion of the North would occur, the fear of losing large numbers of men transferred to the West to bolster Vicksburg's defence remained. Had Longstreet led the ANV into Pennsylvania, it surely would have been a much different campaign, though the level of success may or may not have differed.

HighPrvt
07-11-2006, 06:54 AM
Longstreet's mediocre performance while detached is probably what prevented him from recieving command of the AOT after Missionary Ridge, and also probably would have put the brakes on his replacing Lee.
Bragg was only a trainride away, PGT Beaureguard could have replaced Bragg int the AOT, Beaureguard might also have been placed in the command.

Lee's death would have been a shot in the arm for the AOP, war would have been over a year sooner.

Now what if Grant, and Sherman were befallen an accident prior to vicksburg?

:)

tompritchett
07-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Longstreet's mediocre performance while detached is probably what prevented him from recieving command of the AOT after Missionary Ridge, and also probably would have put the brakes on his replacing Lee.

Going back to the proposed timeline, the Lee's hypothetical heart attack was pre-Gettysburg. Longstreet was not sent West to reinforce Bragg until after Gettysburg. Longstreet's detached service around Knoxville was after the Battle of Chickamauga and, thus, would have never factored into the decision to replace Lee. However, you may be right about his less than spectacular record against Burnside at Knoxville may have been a factor in his not being selected to replace Bragg. In fairness to Longstreet, everything that I have read about that campaign tends to suggest that the deciding factor was actually Burnside's skill as a commander (yes we are talking about Burnside here) rather than Longstreet's lack of skill. Burnside quickly recognized the threat of Longstreet to Knoxville and raced there ahead of Longstreet's rapidly advancing troops.

HighPrvt
07-11-2006, 04:46 PM
I wasn't talking about his performance in the west, I was talking about his detachment in Southeast Virginia, prior to Lee's offensive. Where his performance in an independent command was less than spectacular.

Edit:
After re-reading my previous post I have to admit that I wasn't clear at all, and can certainly understand why you thought I was refering to his campaign against Burnside. Sorry about that. My wife was rushing me out the door so I kind of condensed what I was trying to say!