PDA

View Full Version : a decent day with good ol civil war movies

reb64
09-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Back to back movies on TV today, "The Undefeated" and "Shenandoah". Ignoring the farbiness, the movies were still compelling enough to enjoy today. Lots of trapdoor rifles and carbines in the latter. They even opened them up in some scenes and rammed in others.

Bitter_Bierce
09-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Those are certainly two of my favorites and had much to do with forging my early interest in the Civil War. Folks can bad mouth 'em for being "farby" all they want, but these great old films bring back pleasant memories for me. The more I watch them the less I notice the anachronisms.

MBond057
09-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Farb in Hollywood equals $$$$$ during the Golden age of movies. There is more research and accuracy put into recent war movies.

SouthernAngel
09-10-2008, 03:07 PM
I would agree, don't they make you want to just get up and go to an event!

Shermans_Neckties
09-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Farb in Hollywood equals $$$$$ during the Golden age of movies. There is more research and accuracy put into recent war movies.You say that as if there is something wrong with making a profit off of genuinely entertaining film.

More research and accuracy in recent films does not equal better entertainment.

I'll take the farby but sublime Gone With The Wind over the generally accurate but trashy and dull Cold Mountain any day.

I love John Huston's The Red Badge of Courage with its incorrect uniforms and weapons because it has great dialog beautifully delivered by some great character actors, one of whom is a real WWII hero. That is a far cry from the perfect uniforms and weapons of the vastly overrated Saving Private Ryan with its gross-out shock scenes, improbable story line and pretty-boy faces. (Pssst.... for those who don't know, Saving Private Ryan is nothing more than Steven Speilberg's symbolic remake of Jaws.)

ILYankee5
09-10-2008, 07:47 PM
I would agree, don't they make you want to just get up and go to an event!

They sure do. Is Chickamauga ever going to get here?:) ;)

madisontigers
09-17-2008, 04:41 AM
Farb in Hollywood equals $$$$$ during the Golden age of movies. There is more research and accuracy put into recent war movies.

Yep, and I'd like to know what movies have had more research put into them. Improvements in uniforms & equipment (props), perhaps. But improvements in the base historical plot of the movie, no, I simply don't see it.