PDA

View Full Version : help with feedback for TVland education

Drygoods
08-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Our town is having a CW event, and a local volunteer group has asked me which DVD documentaries would help educate their members. I can only think of the two that I have, the Ken Burns set and the one done by the History Channel with Danny Glover. Can anyone suggest any better history DVD sets that would help explain our national conflict? Any advice would be much appreciated, especially since I found fault with the two sets that I own. And if you do suggest a version, please explain why you did/didn't like it.

Many kind thanks for your time with this, I know that most here are way beyond this in their education, but it may be the only way to expose a group of volunteers to the meaning of the war.

TheColorBearer
08-27-2008, 03:12 PM
How about making your own version?

Not trying to be sarcastic here.

Ross L. Lamoreaux
08-27-2008, 03:18 PM
I would suggest almost anything produced by Wide Awake such as their documentaries on Franklin, Perryville, etc. They are as professional as anything on the networks, but have the benefit of progressive living historians as the background, balanced research, and pretty good narration like the above mentioned productions.

Drygoods
08-27-2008, 04:49 PM
I would suggest almost anything produced by Wide Awake such as their documentaries on Franklin, Perryville, etc. They are as professional as anything on the networks, but have the benefit of progressive living historians as the background, balanced research, and pretty good narration like the above mentioned productions.

Wide Awake? I am not sure if I've ever seen anything done by them, would they have a website? I remember that I did watch an independent film once, done by the ancestors, but that didn't really teach much history beyond their own family. I doubt that I will ever produce my own film, even though I live a rather extraordinary life! :cool: Nope. This is just something that the locals want to watch and learn within three weeks. I give them credit, at least for folks who never thought about the war before, nor want to participate in the hobby, it is refreshing that they want to bother learning simply to be there for 5 hours of the day.

Ross L. Lamoreaux
08-27-2008, 06:00 PM
www.wideawakefilms.com or www.civilwargoods.com are the sites for Wide Awake Films. There are several well-known reenactors involved in the day-to-day operations of the company, including the infamous Rob Hodge of "Confederates in the Attic" fame (or infamy).

jademonkey
08-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Definately second Ross' endorsement of Wide Awake Films - well worth checking out. I remember I showed the Franklin video to my Dad when it was first released and at the end all he could say was "wow."

Incidentally, a lot of the older guys you see in the Wide Awake films (inlcuding Rob Hodge) got their start in "acting" on Civil War Journal. Back in the early nineties the Southern Guard could be seen in a lot of those shows. If I remember correctly Rob played NB Forest in one episode.