PDA

View Full Version : "Tarred" Haversack

Ol'Hickory
07-04-2006, 05:03 AM
Are these haversacks water proof? My common sense is telling me they are but I would like to know so the items that "live" in my haversack do not get wet when rained on.

VaTrooper
07-04-2006, 10:06 AM
I cant say for sure as I havent made that purchase but according to whats happened to my tarred ground cloth in the past I can make an educated guess: Id say they are waterproof to a point and how long it'll repel water depends on how good of shapes it in.

Pvt_Idaho
07-04-2006, 10:42 AM
My tarred haversack got thoroughly soaked at Ballestone Manor this spring and everything inside was wet. So it is waterproof but only to a point. That experience taught me to wear the haversack UNDER the rubber gum blanket...

Respectfully,

Audrey Scanlan

Ol'Hickory
07-04-2006, 10:59 AM
I dont intend on ordereing anything over the net (not like that) i'd get something in person, i've learnt after the hat affair.

I mean the haversack I own at the moment is an early war type, not water proof, they are great for virginian summers..not great for British summers, I hope the weather is like this when i'm out!

cblodg
07-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Are these haversacks water proof? My common sense is telling me they are but I would like to know so the items that "live" in my haversack do not get wet when rained on.

They are, to a certain extent. One thing to keep in mind is that simple wear and tear will make it less water resistant. also, when you're not wearing it (i.e. in camp etc.), try to keep it in the shade. Even though the "tar" should hold up, if it is heated it could loosen the tar and further reduce the effectiveness.

I for one, carry a rubberized poncho, not completely correct for some events, but this soldier likes to keep dry!

Chris

Ol'Hickory
07-04-2006, 11:15 AM
They are, to a certain extent. One thing to keep in mind is that simple wear and tear will make it less water resistant. also, when you're not wearing it (i.e. in camp etc.), try to keep it in the shade. Even though the "tar" should hold up, if it is heated it could loosen the tar and further reduce the effectiveness.

I for one, carry a rubberized poncho, not completely correct for some events, but this soldier likes to keep dry!

Chris

Yes, I'm afraid i'd suffer for history.

To live how they did

cblodg
07-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Yes, I'm afraid i'd suffer for history.

To live how they did

Suffer as in...? Getting wet, or having all of the stuff in your haversack drenched or ruined? Been there, done that, got a drenched haversack.

I can tell you that it aint fun getting drenched and having your gear ruined. I'm all for suffering for history's sake, but if I gotta replace something at 50-100 bucks (or pounds) every time it gets drenched, this soldier stays dry.

At a recent event here in New England, Jackson's Valley Campaign, I went with a group of NE campaigners. When it began to pour those in the main camp fled for their A-Frames and flys, while we had to go back to our gaurd post and resume our duties. I've been drenched and suffered for history's sake more than once, and have learned that I can deal with a little inaccuracy to keep dry.

I'm not one of those campaigners that has great "top shelf" gear and just stands around looking kewl, I actually use mine, and at times to the point of over use. Same event (JVC) I came home with my new Robert Lands crusted in mud. I don't really care, because for me that is a sign of a good event (minus the death march) (;-)

Ol'Hickory
07-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Haha well, I wouldent my haversack stuff getting ruined..and I'd never sleep in the open in the rain without cover, like a tent! a tent would be welcome indeed if it was raining, or snowing.

I have no problem with marching in the rain or anything, I kinda like the rain makes everything feel fresh, except when i'm out in it for more than an hour I dont like it then haha

VaTrooper
07-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Let a good rain come when your marching in full gear. You wont feel fresh too long. Even riding in its pretty miserable.

Ol'Hickory
07-04-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm guessing thatd stink:(

Hmmm I have a lot to learn haha

cblodg
07-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Let a good rain come when your marching in full gear. You wont feel fresh too long. Even riding in its pretty miserable.

Amen to that, Will. You should have seen my cone after the "battle". I had never seen it so gunked up by powder residue. Rain+Powder+high humidity= a b**ch of a time to clean a musket in the field.

Not to mention the wet wool, leather gear wrapped around that insulating your body, then the sweat. Every time I discribe an event I get the response "god, that sounds horrible" and I reply "no that was one of the greatest events I've been to."

Haha can't wait till the next one.

Chris

VaTrooper
07-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Yea,
Let a good rain come on Morgans Raid and it'll seperate the men from the boys. Wont be any "A" frames to hide your equipment under to keep dry. Oh my what will they do? HA HA!

Ol'Hickory
07-04-2006, 12:10 PM
If it rains it rains..not good complainig about something you cant stop, might as well grin and bear it and complain to yourself mentally.

cblodg
07-04-2006, 12:20 PM
If it rains it rains..not good complainig about something you cant stop, might as well grin and bear it and complain to yourself mentally.

I'll hold you to that the first event you're at and it pours, and pours.

"PVT Pyle! What is your major malfunction!" Hehehehe

Chris

Ol'Hickory
07-04-2006, 12:23 PM
I'll hold you to that the first event you're at and it pours, and pours.

"PVT Pyle! What is your major malfunction!" Hehehehe

Chris

Yes well it probally will..I dont mind I mean I just wanna be there, my hearts been into the hobby for ages but physically I have not, no-doubt when I get experianced i'll hate rain haha

hahahaha..classic

bob 125th nysvi
07-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Was at an event once where a thunderstorm blew through and took out my shelter while I was away on a detail.

Everything was soaked EXCEPT my rations. While it rained pretty hard the haversack wasn't in the water puddle so it stayed dried.

I suppose if it had been in the water the hardtack would have been softtack.

Water resistant is probably a better description for a tarred haversack.

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

flattop32355
07-05-2006, 01:32 AM

The coating makes them water resistant, but not water proof. A good soaking for two nights at Summer of '62 last year left my haversack with a bad case of leprosy; chunks of black peeling off.

The same is true for knapsack, and painted ground cloth. Even the rubberized ground cloth will soak through if stressed by enough water.

VaTrooper
07-05-2006, 01:52 AM
A good soaking for two nights at Summer of '62 last year left my haversack......

Man did that suck! I slept on a huge boulder (the highest place in camp) those nights wrapped in a shelter half and poncho.

Ol'Hickory
07-05-2006, 05:20 AM
The coating makes them water resistant, but not water proof. A good soaking for two nights at Summer of '62 last year left my haversack with a bad case of leprosy; chunks of black peeling off.

The same is true for knapsack, and painted ground cloth. Even the rubberized ground cloth will soak through if stressed by enough water.

Nuts......

bob 125th nysvi
07-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Nuts......

of the CW soldier.

Ever read any quotations of how nice warm and dry they were?

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY