PDA

View Full Version : East or West

captdougofky
07-03-2006, 10:43 PM
It seems to me this forum is more about the east and your idea's about why and how to reenact why, I think some of us in the west know a thing
or to two, but being for Kentucky I'M JUST GLAD TO HAVE A PAIR OF SHOES.

Always Doug
Lyons Battery
Kentucky

VaTrooper
07-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Doug,
Have you joined the West Coast Campaigner?

captdougofky
07-04-2006, 12:01 AM
Bill
I do not think I have join anything but I have a thought that the East has the problem of mainstream-A/C whatever. We in the west do not mow that close, If you want to be a hardcore fine if you are a cooler packing mainstream fine, everybody here seems to get along, why do you all in the East want to beat up on each other. The reenactors as a whole suffer with your all thoughts and actions.

Always Doug
Lyons Battery
Kentucky

tompritchett
07-04-2006, 12:03 AM
Have you joined the West Coast Campaigner?

Having grown up in Ky, I can assure you that Ky is by no means even close to the West Coast.

Reminds me the time that a family member from Ky drove out to stay with me when I lived in the Denver area. They then seriously suggested that we drive to California for the weekend. I had to explain to them that Denver was only about halfway from western Ky to California and there it would take the whole weekend just to get to California from Denver by driving.

tompritchett
07-04-2006, 12:10 AM
Unfortuantely, I have participated in only one large CW event west of the Appalacians as a reenactor so by no means am I an expert on the differences. However, based primarily on the posts here, I believe that the larger "Western" events, tend to have stricter rules enforcement and stricter authenticity standards in the larger mainstream umbrella organizations than their counterparts here in the East. Plus we had a wave of for-profit mega-events here in the East that left a bad taste in a lot or reenactors mouths for reasons including those that divide the mainstreamers from their more history heaven brethren.

Also, left you a PM reply to your PM.

VaTrooper
07-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Yea Tom I didnt even pay attention to the KY part when I posted that. Now Doug without getting pi$$ed off at your smart a$$ post I'll try to give you a simple answer. We do what we do for the BENEFIT of the hobby. While trying to persuade others to try to do things in a more authentic manner we either A: Bring a few over to the darkside.
B: Get ignored
C: Pi$$ people off who get mad and quit, which thins out the weaker of the heard.

tompritchett
07-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Now Doug without getting pi$$ed off at your smart a$$ post
Having re-read Doug's post several times, I do not think that he was being critical of "campaigners" or the more authentic minded in his post but rather is being more critical of the whole Eastern reenacting community because of our constant fighting amongst overselves over the "mainstream" versus "campaign" issue. Even though Westerners do get involved in the many such flame wars that we have had here, the wars tend to revolve around Eastern events and therefore have definite an Eastern flavor to them - even when some of the more vocal participants actually do most of their reenacting West of the mountains. I would also suggest that you focus on his next to last sentence in which he says "why do you all in the East want to beat up on each other". I strongly believe that the "you all" he is referring to is all Eastern reenactors and not those that belong to one side of the hobby or the other. And frankly, I strongly agree with his last sentence ("The reenactors as a whole suffer with your all thoughts and actions") as I have seen how these flame wars affect leaders on both sides of the hobby when they get particularly vicious. (This is also a major reason for the rules at this forum stating that dialog must be in the line of two gentlemen seated at a dinner table - a policy that I do try to enforce as moderator).

tompritchett
07-04-2006, 12:42 AM
Suggest that you check out the Camp Chase Gazette Reenactor's forum which was founded on the idea of fining a common ground for all reenactors to interact with. There boths sides respectfully mow together without being critical about how the other reenacts. The link is http://www.campchase.com/dc/dcboard.php

captdougofky
07-04-2006, 01:00 AM
Tom

Manners never went out of style, This forum with your remainder has learned something.

Always Doug

Bill_Cross
07-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Having re-read Doug's post several times, I do not think that he was being critical of "campaigners" or the more authentic minded in his post but rather is being more critical of the whole Eastern reenacting community because of our constant fighting amongst overselves over the "mainstream" versus "campaign" issue.
He could always go over to the AC Forum where the campaigners sometimes beat up on one another. ;-)

flattop32355
07-05-2006, 03:29 PM
He could always go over to the AC Forum where the campaigners sometimes beat up on one another. ;-)

Can't we all just get along? ;)

bob 125th nysvi
07-05-2006, 08:26 PM
or even a 'mainstreamer' v 'campaigner' thing.

I thinks its a few individuals waging their own personal war in cyberspace (probably because they aren't getting any traction in the field).

Look the reality is no matter how many times someone predicts the death of the 'large mainstream mega' events, they don't seem to be going away. In fact they seem to be quite healthy.

What does seem to be happening is that specialized smaller events seem to be proliferating.

And both are good things because if the large events are still going along healthy and bringing in new recruits. There is a larger pool of potential recruits for the campaigners to draw on. And the specialized events will continue to do well providing room in the tent for everybody.

Even if some of them are playing in their own little corner.

Besides the campaigners do provide an important function in pushing the sutlers toward more authentic items, which sooner or later EVERYBODY has to have (seen anybody driving a new K-car lately).

Will the low quality stuff ever completely go away. No because it is easier to draw someone into this hobby at less $1000 than more than $1000.

But like with computers good quality will come down in price and become the standard as more people buy it.

And then someone will invent a time machine and prove everything we think we know about the CW wrong.

Such is life.

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

captdougofky
07-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Mr. Cross
It would be nice if I could go to the A/C forum but I am not welcome. I have pissed someone off over there because one I am a mainstream reenactor or better yet I do not think like they do in respect to civil war reenacting. The A/C folks use this forum for spreading their ideas about how to do things. So much for honest dialog that is as long as you think like they do welcome if not, mainstream need not apply. A person can learn a lot about something not so much for what they said but do. Being open mind about this hobby is not one of them.

Always Doug
Lyons Battery
Kentucky

VaTrooper
07-05-2006, 09:49 PM
The A/C folks use this forum for spreading their ideas about how to do things.

And to sell of sub-par gear.

skamikaze
07-05-2006, 10:02 PM
i too, come from the west (illinois to be exact) and there was not the animosity between hardcore and mainstream like there is here. there was a mutual dislike of blatant farb, like galsoldiers with makeup or four star generals and thingslike that.

our attitude was this: if they dont know they are farb, help them along in the nicest manner possible. if they do know they are farb and wont do anything to change it, then they are not invited to events and such.

thats how we did it back there and i wish there was a more tolerant attitude here. not that we should tolerate farb, but we should not have a spitefull attitude to all mainstreamers. some people dont even know that hardcore campaigning is an option. if both veiws were presented at an event, i think it would really help. it would be good for the hobby in a lot of ways.

but thats just my two cents.

tompritchett
07-06-2006, 12:48 AM
It would be nice if I could go to the A/C forum but I am not welcome. ... So much for honest dialog that is as long as you think like they do welcome if not, mainstream need not apply. A person can learn a lot about something not so much for what they said but do. Being open mind about this hobby is not one of them.

The A/C forum is what its name implies - a forum designed for reenactors looking for a more authentic impression than the "mainstream". If you are satisfied with the status quo for your personal or unit impression or you want to argue against developing more authentic impressions and/or events, then the A/C is not for you nor does it claim to be. Their standards are based strictly on what can be historically documented and not what might be logical or convenient for reenactors. As with events, you have to go to forums with specific expectations. Here is predominately mainstream, progressive mainstream and crossover reenactors (those that do both Mainstream and Campaigning).

Having said this, I would suggest that this particular direction for the thread be dropped as it is not the purpose or policy of this forum to criticize the policies of any of CW forums