PDA

View Full Version : "Ghosts"

Ol'Hickory
07-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Now the term "ghost" sums up ideas of a white shape moaning away etc etc

Anyone beleive Gettysburg is haunted? I do, I am kind of spiritual in a way, we picked up some EVP in the TF, and I felt someone tap my shoulder but i dont like talking about that in detail cuz that really put me on edge.

I dug out a stone from the TF and took it back into the brunswick as a "souvenir" and couldent get any sleep I kept hearing a ******************** fife over and over again it really annoyed me.

I am indeed a superstious person, but not to the high extent, I beleive that people who express that amout of pain, sorrow and other emotions fetured at Gettysburg its not surprising that some may remain

1stTenn
07-04-2006, 07:24 AM
I have spent many a night on the Gettysburg battlefield with my unit, and I have seen some things that i just can't reason away. Was what I saw ghosts? I believe so, but that is just my beliefs.

Buddy Mellor

Pvt_Idaho
07-04-2006, 09:08 AM
I know folks who have a farm at Gettysburg that served as a field hospital. When they moved into the house they did not believe in ghosts. Their daughter--a rational college graduate at the time--saw a blond man in her bedroom on her first night there. Spent the rest of the night in Mom and Dad's room. They have glowing orbs in photographs and in the back yard at night. They have voices crying for help on their answering machine. They believe in ghosts now and are at home with them.

Respectfully,

Audrey Scanlan

Popeye
07-04-2006, 09:48 AM
That is wonderful!! Though I feel very sad for the ones crying for help on the answering machine, I would be so thankful for the rest. I have never been lucky enough to see one of these, at Gettysburg or anywhere else, I keep trying. I do believe in such things and until someone can prove to me that they are not with us, like God or UFO's, I will continue to believe. Some things you have to rely on faith for, others not. We have no life long promise of anything, well, except death and taxes of course, so how can one not believe such things are real. I think they are simply the ones that don't want to believe, for whatever reason.

Keith "Popeye" Rayeski
NRA Life Member

FWL
07-04-2006, 12:01 PM
I have done all night picket duty at Antietam (north woods) and slept near the PA monument at Gettysburg several times. Done McDowell 2 times. Done several other smaller events on original ground. Never saw a thing.

Just the facts but I'm keeping an open mind

Ol'Hickory
07-04-2006, 12:05 PM
I've NEVER done pickett duty before and would probally be on edge for the entire night or for my time (at night anyway)

FWL
07-04-2006, 12:14 PM
I've NEVER done pickett duty before and would probally be on edge for the entire night or for my time (at night anyway)

I should clarify. We did picket duty at Antietam as part of of a 2 day Living History in 2003. Guard detail was in 2 hour shifts. Slept on the gound on rubber blankets under arms. On or about the anniversary of Antietam or Sharpsburg. I was on the 1 to 3 am shift. Great night. Full moon going in and out of clouds. I figured if I was going to see a ghost it was going to be then as we slept and picketed on this blood soaked sacred ground. Nothing

Ol'Hickory
07-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Oh its not ghosts who frighten me its just that feeling, out in the dark, i can imagine that my mind will make it look like everythings moving or something.

VaTrooper
07-04-2006, 12:23 PM
I've never seen anything but I'd like too.

Ol'Hickory
07-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Me too..in a way if I was at gettysburg or sharpsburg or something i'd like too

Brandon313
07-05-2006, 10:19 AM
I was on a tour of Gettysburg with my family one night, it was getting late and we were heading back to the car, when we heard some thumping noises, nobody else knew what they were, but being a reenactor, i could swear they sounded like marching drums. we hurried our pace a little bit as the thumping got closer and closer and then there it was clear as day, marching drums. then followed by a group of fifes. we stopped being scared, we figured there was a living history camp around somewhere, we looked around a little more to try and find it, but every time we would move away from the spot where the music became clear, it would start to fade away..kind of wierd, so we got in the car and left that sight, we caught a park ranger as he was getting into his car to leave for the night, we asked him if there were any reenactors camping out tonight. He said none that he knew of. We just said "oh well thats funny i could have sworn i heard some field music playing near the triangular field". He just said "well al' bie, you heard some of the phantom field music!" we just looked at him thinking 'what'??? he noticed this and explained more "this sight is known for the sightings and hearings of field music and gunshots when nobody is there, you are witness to some of the gettysburg ghosts!"

i thought it was cool.
have you heard of this?? i did a search on gettysburg ghosts..
During the filming of the film, Gettysburg, actors / Civil War re-enactors dressed in uniform would often walk off set, exploring the real Battlefields during their down time. A group of Union soldiers went up to the Little Round Top area, to enjoy the lovely sunset. While standing there, they heard the rustling of leaves behind them. Looking to see who it was. Imagine their surprise when a "rather haggard looking old man, dressed as a Union private", made his appearance. "The man was filthy and smelled of sulfur, a key ingredient of the black powder used in 1863. He walked up to the men and as he handed them a few musket rounds. He said, 'Rough one today, eh boys??' He turned and walked away." As the startled men examined these musket rounds, this mystery man vanished into thin air. They brought these musket rounds into the town of Gettysburg, which were "authenticated as original rounds 130 years old"! -

5thNYcavalry
07-10-2006, 06:39 PM
on Big Round Top, I was walking back alone and heard voices behind me and felt a hand help me as a grew more sore. I heard a horse behind me, though there are no horses permitted there anymore. So I do beleive Gettysburg is haunted.

Ol'Hickory
07-11-2006, 05:04 AM
I was told about jets of flame coming out of the smoke machines near the TF, they refused to work on set.:confused:

We heard a fife near devils den/TF during the day and walking up there it was really loud, I figured the same it being a living history camp, I took a small stone back to the Brunswick with me (It was olny a stone!! hehe) and all night I hear a fife in the corrider the bathroom taps turned on and off and I swear something tapped me on the shoulders..so next day I took it back to the exact spot that I found it.

I've learnt my lesson.:oops:

Catherine Kelly
07-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Okay I believe in ghost. I have experienced them, I have them in my house, they are family and they all know me, so I find them a comfort. And I believe they have saved us from several serious hazards over the years. One of them kept my house from burning down by rattling the dishes until I came to investigate and found a fan on fire!!

but we are talking about GB ghost.... At the 134th at Herr's Ridge there were several reported stories of ghost, but at that point I had not seen or experienced one.

our unit had decided to avoid the traffic by going home Monday.
Sunday night we had all turned in for the night and it was getting ready to rain and we were begining to seeing lighting in the area. I had nearly drifted off to sleep when I heard someone fall in our camp. I heard the thud and the groan that one makes when they hit the ground.

I started to get up and my husband said I was hearing things and to stay. But I knew if someone was hurt it was one of our guys and that I should see to them. I was sleeping in a chemise so I was decent, by modern standards. I stepped out side of the tent and there was nothing there. Thinking he must have been right I went back to bed started to relax back to sleep and lighting lit things up, I saw what at first appeared to be a shadow out side my tent...... still thinking it was one of our guys and they needed something, until I realized that I could see that he wore crossed leathers! and he was inside my tent! As I moved to get a better look he faded away.

as for trying... I think if you try it is less likely to happen, you will be more likely to have the experience when you are not trying but have an open mind to it. And I think you are less apt to experience ghost if there are too many people around. Although I have experienced ghosts when they were upset because there were too many people there. At Fort Delaware in the catacombs…. The first ghost tour there, they took one large group on the tour and I could feel how up set the resident ghosts were that there were too many crammed into their normally quiet space.

Catherine Kelly

reb64
07-12-2006, 05:44 PM
When you die the body breaks downand while the soulawaits ressurrection, there are no ghosts If so every walmart, house school or business built over cemetaries, Indian battles etc would have them. What makes Gettysburg so special out of all the historical events in America? Death is everywhere man goes.

reb64
07-12-2006, 05:51 PM
I was told about jets of flame coming out of the smoke machines near the TF, they refused to work on set.:confused:

We heard a fife near devils den/TF during the day and walking up there it was really loud, I figured the same it being a living history camp, I took a small stone back to the Brunswick with me (It was olny a stone!! hehe) and all night I hear a fife in the corrider the bathroom taps turned on and off and I swear something tapped me on the shoulders..so next day I took it back to the exact spot that I found it.

I've learnt my lesson.:oops:

I doubt much of the stones you found are original with all the pillaging over the years and replacing of them. When I was a kid I ignorantly used to run along those walls at devils den, stone wall etc. I can't tell you how many stones end ed up being thrown tossed or taken by me and my cousins, but I can tell you no ghosts, but a lot of whoopings from my dad.

MDRebCAv
07-13-2006, 10:24 AM
One night before the park closed, two friends and I left our living history and decided to walk Pickett's Charge at night...it was a clear sky under a full moon in October. One friend walked ahead of us, but I and my other friend walked slowly and in silence. We both stopped and looked at each other and simultaneously whispered..."Did you hear that?" It wasd undeniably the muffled sound of a cannon.

Then one night at Sack's Bridge I wanted to disprove what I had been told about cameras not working there. I brough my digital and severaltimes could not get a picture in focus. We decided to have a group shot at the entrance to the bridge and I cold not get the camera to focus. After erasing several ruined shots I took one last pictures and about 15 orbs appeared on my viewing screen, and my wife--who was far enough way to not see my eyes widen said, "My goodness, it just got cold!"

And the final installment......

My sister used to live in a CW house on Stone Jug Road on the outskirts of town near the banks of Rock Creek. She and her family had many experiences there and eventually had to move, but I had only one minor one.
One night during our family reunion that was being held there, several of us were sleeping in the parlor. From the kitchen I heard the sound of a wooden spoon stirring a ceramic crock (I heard that same sound many times from my Grandma's kitchen). the conversation in the morning went something like this:

I said, "Pam, all the times I've stayed here and slept upstairs, I never experienced one thing until last night." (at this point I did not get to tell her what I heard)

She said, "Dan, I can't sleep downstairs anymore because somebody keeps cooking in that kitchen all night long!"
:-o

FranklinGuardsNYSM
07-15-2006, 09:57 AM
During the filming of the film, Gettysburg, actors / Civil War re-enactors dressed in uniform would often walk off set, exploring the real Battlefields during their down time. A group of Union soldiers went up to the Little Round Top area, to enjoy the lovely sunset. While standing there, they heard the rustling of leaves behind them. Looking to see who it was. Imagine their surprise when a "rather haggard looking old man, dressed as a Union private", made his appearance. "The man was filthy and smelled of sulfur, a key ingredient of the black powder used in 1863. He walked up to the men and as he handed them a few musket rounds. He said, 'Rough one today, eh boys??' He turned and walked away." As the startled men examined these musket rounds, this mystery man vanished into thin air. They brought these musket rounds into the town of Gettysburg, which were "authenticated as original rounds 130 years old"! -

This story, like so many others, was entirely made up. The originator of the story (who went so far as to appear on Unsolved Mysteries telling it) admitted it as being false.

Likewise the story of the "Blue Boy" of Pennsylvania Hall was actually a student's creative writing project, a copy of which may be viewed in the Gettysburg College archives. The rights to it were purchased for the ghost books.

While I certainly believe in something beyond our comprehension, I am constantly infuriated by those who come to Gettysburg almost exclusively to "ghost hunt." The battlefield used to be a quiet, peaceful, reflective place at night, but that has changed. Now, it is impossible to sit atop Little Round Top without seeing a flurry of flashbulbs of people in Devils Den, and hearing gaggles of teenage girls shrieking at the top of their lungs whenever a squirrel causes a branch to move.

It proves that the ghost stories have done more damage than anything else. People are no longer using the National Military Park for its intended purpose -- to honor and study the people and deeds of the past. They're using it as a cheap-thrill amusement park. I summarily reject the notion that "oh, it gets the kids interested in history." When I was growing up, there were no Ghosts of Gettysburg books, tours, videos, t-shirts, or glow sticks, and yet by some miracle, I found myself enamored with the battlefield, the Civil War, and history.

The inscriptions on the battlefield monuments tell us something. "Entrusted to the care of a nation we were proud to serve." "In memory of our fallen comrades." "Erected by the survivors." These men wanted to be remembered for who they were. REAL PEOPLE. To instead focus on questionable stories serves only to cheapen their memory and trivialize what actually happened here. Particularly those stories which are blatantly made up, and sold to tourists who seem to have no better use for their money. When you consider that the Civil War was as real to those who experienced it as WWII was to our veterans alive today...why are there no ghost tours at Normandy or Iwo Jima? Why aren't people charged $5 a head to walk by a VA Medical Center to have someone carrying a lantern tell the tale of PFC Jones who went crazy after he came back from the war and there are those who say he still walks these halls today, ooooOOOOooooOOOooohhhh? Because it's tasteless and disrespectful.

The ghost industry in Gettysburg is a nuisance. Living adjacent to the border of borough and NPS property, nightly am I forced to listed to no less than THREE tours outside my window. First there's the guy who talks about Jennie Wade playing beneath a tree that was actually planted in the 1970s, then there's the guy who warbles out some quasi-Acadian yodel for the Louisiana soldiers who died attacking Cemetery Hill, and then the woman who elicits shrieks from her group by literally yelling "BOO!" at the top of her lungs. And this is all usually well after 9:30 P.M. Innocent civilians are forced to step into the street to avoid the huge groups of people wearing their "I Survived the Ghost Tour..." stickers parading down every sidewalk. Some late nights when I had a sewing space on the top floor of the Jennie Wade birthplace on Baltimore Street, as many as two groups at a time would congregate on the street below, blinding me with flashbulbs as I moved into a room, because of course I HAD to be a ghost, right? Ever hear of PEOPLE?! I guess not. Leaving for the night was a challenge, as one windbag in a bad cape would usually stand on the front step, spouting off his garbage, and then give ME a dirty look when I opened the door and had to have him step out of the way.

We need to have the same courtesy for those who experienced the Civil War as we do for our living veterans today. We are now their guardians, and protectors of their integrity. Again, have I experienced strange things? Yes. Am I out there actively seeking strange things for their own sake? No. It's gotten completely out of hand.

Bottom line, please think of how you would want to be remembered 145 years down the road.

LParsons
07-16-2006, 08:52 PM
so a quiet walk around parts of the field with my father, listening to the wind and the trees, is probably going to be virtually impossible this August?

or an even better idea, i could just wear a big white sheet, and run around in circles around a tour group until they leave......... ;)

bentbayonet
07-17-2006, 09:45 AM
i have always wanted to hunt a ghost. what caliber do you suggest?

LParsons
07-17-2006, 11:24 AM
if i recall, isnt a vaccum usually quite an effective tool for dealing with ghosts? :p

bugler139th
07-17-2006, 02:49 PM
I didn't believe in ghosts originally but after gettysburg two years ago i do now. A couple of us went out to the battlefield around 10:25 and while we were there we saw some guys in the one field drilling. we went out to see why and they marched into the woods. we went in after them but they were gone. explain that.

reb64
07-17-2006, 03:19 PM
the reenactors/tourists/pranksters left, thats why, no ghosts not there niot at Alesia, not at verdun, no where.

FranklinGuardsNYSM
07-17-2006, 10:31 PM
A couple of us went out to the battlefield around 10:25

Closure violations are not smiled upon by Protection Rangers. Please don't enter the park after hours...not only is it against the rules, it reflects negatively on other reenactors/living historians.

cblodg
07-18-2006, 07:10 AM
Closure violations are not smiled upon by Protection Rangers. Please don't enter the park after hours...not only is it against the rules, it reflects negatively on other reenactors/living historians.

You aint kidding! We were doing a LH at the Pennsylvania Monument. A couple of our guys decided to take their lanterns and go down by the Emmitsburg Road. No more than 5 or 10 minutes later, there was the protection ranger, lights flashing and all. She reminded them that they were guests on the field, and kindly asked them not to leave the camp at night.

Not to mention if you are caught, then its off to the local jail to await the magistrate. And the fine is huge as well, I believe.

Chris

tompritchett
07-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Not to mention if you are caught, then its off to the local jail to await the magistrate. And the fine is huge as well, I believe.

With all the vandalism that has occurred recently in the park, I am glad that the Rangers are so alert and vigilant against unauthorized people in the park at night. Remember there is no way for a Ranger to tell the difference from a potential vandal and an innocent wanderer until AFTER THE VANDALISM HAS OCCURRED.

Aradonus
07-20-2006, 12:20 AM
I live local to G'burg and have been on the battlefield and at Sach's bridge many many times. I'm very sensitive to Physic activity. There ARE DEFINATELY ghosts on the field. At the Tringle Field, Devils Den, Little Round Top, the Spangler, and Snyder farms and other places. Personally I cannot go to Little Round Top, I get chased back so I stay away from there. (I have very strong Southern Sympathies.) There are also Ghosts at Sach's, including Civil War and something evil that the college kids brought up doing their dangerous pentagram things.
I've also encountered things at Antietam, especially around the cornfield, the Texas monument and the Dunker Church. Along with Cedar Creek, which I personally find extremely antagonistic. I've felt things at many many of the battlefields, and seen them too.
As far as orbs, they're everywhere there is a sudden death. They are souls that have not made it into the "light". And there ARE orbs at the WalMart in Gettysburg, I've seen pictures of them. That was built on a site that was a Confederate Field hospital.
These "ghosts" are caught in another dimension in time. Some not finding the light to take them home, and some still fighting the battle, not knowing they're dead or refusing to leave.
We all have the ability to "see and feel", we have to train our minds and open them to let it happen.

FWL
07-20-2006, 08:31 AM
We need to have the same courtesy for those who experienced the Civil War as we do for our living veterans today. We are now their guardians, and protectors of their integrity. Again, have I experienced strange things? Yes. Am I out there actively seeking strange things for their own sake? No. It's gotten completely out of hand.

Bottom line, please think of how you would want to be remembered 145 years down the road.

Bravo Marc. I still love Gettysburg inspite of all of commercialism. I think the ghost tours are the worst of it. I don't know how you take it living and working there. On a recent stop over I took a walk thru the cemetary just after dark to stretch my legs after a long drive. The serenity and the honor of the place is everlasting (BTW I did not see any ghosts nor was I expecting to see them). Its too bad it has to be cheapened by the ghost tour industry. Although I keep an open mind most of these stories are dribble.

MDRebCAv
07-20-2006, 10:30 AM
i have always wanted to hunt a ghost. what caliber do you suggest?

How about something akin to the infamous 0.666 caliber?

John Legg
08-17-2006, 10:18 AM
I do so belive gettysburg has spirts, you should look into some storys about ghosts at perryville, i have herd many storys from dennis mount(sink digger mess) about the different time he has seen ghosts, he is someone who goes out onto battlefeilds and looks for ghosts! i hope i can go with him this year at perryville! it would be a sight to see!

Cheers,

Nighthawk
08-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Having done a couple of LH events at Spangler's Spring over the last two years, I can honestly say that I am much more afraid of living souls than departed ones. We were bugged by groups of flashbulb firing, would be ghost hunters, and college pranksters. While doing camp guard duty, I did have the hair on the back of my neck stand up, but that was due to realization that I was on hallowed ground, casting the shadow of a Confederate soldier on the ground, under a full moon at midnight at Spangler's Spring! Been to Gettysburg twice a year since 1980, and have never seen any ghosties or boogeymen.