PDA

View Full Version : Personal items

Ol'Hickory
07-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Okay, so what would be the 'essential' personal items for that period?

I say 'essential' because I dont not smoke so will not need a pipe/cigar etc and I dont itend having items that I will not use floating around in my pockets or haversack.

Also what kind of things should I keep in my housewife? becuase I have 2 different needles and some period civvie style buttons

Sgt_Pepper
07-03-2006, 11:33 AM
"Essential items" are subjective. You must think on this and answer the question for yourself. This is not to say others won't try to give you answers based on their own opinions, but I suggest you take them under advisement only, for that very reason: It is their opinion, not yours.

What do you consider "essential"? More to the point, if you were to research a persona and place yourself in the mind of a man from a particular place, background, and possibly unit, what would he most likely consider "essential"?

Ol'Hickory
07-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Sorry I cant help myself

it was 20 years ago today
sgt pepper taught the band to play
they've gone in and out of style
but their garanteed to raise a smile

um..lalala yes sorry i'm rusty on the lyrics

tenfed1861
07-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Your housewife is just sewing items.Now,other items you may want is:a deck of playing cards,dice,religious items of the period,a Bible,a hyme book,a toothbrush,tooth powder,comb,mirror,a small rag for washing,a small huck towel,a piece of lye soap,razor,a period book,letter writing material,journal,a few letters "from home",a small hankie,a small bit of cloth for gun cleaning and an "emergancy",checker or chess pieces with the board inked onto the back of a groundcloth,a period wallet,a smoking cap for sleeping,a pair of knit gloves and scarve for colder events,and the list goes on.I do consider a couple of items you should get are a good pocket knife and a match safe.This items will come in handy when you need them most.I persoanlly carry a pipe,but since you don't smoke I won't tell you any more.
Cullen Smith

Ol'Hickory
07-03-2006, 12:00 PM
See I need those, I need a tooth brush, comb etc..dang I gotta go see a sutler

flattop32355
07-03-2006, 05:26 PM
"Essential items" are subjective. You must think on this and answer the question for yourself. This is not to say others won't try to give you answers based on their own opinions, but I suggest you take them under advisement only, for that very reason: It is their opinion, not yours.

Exactly.

Some would feel that some writing materials are essential. I don't. I feel a toothbrush is essential. Others don't. Some might choose a matchsafe, or a family picture, or a period novel or newspaper, or bible, or spare socks and shirt.

Much depends upon what type event you're planning to attend. Will you be carrying all your gear over distance, or dropping it in one spot for the weekend? What are you intending to portray? Garrison or campaign? New recruit or old veteran?

I can expand or contract my personal gear to fit the event, depending greatly on whether I have to pack it on the move over miles of marching. I'd probably look at it somewhat differently if I had to do it for more than a weekend at a time, as did the original gents. But, then, I'd also be in a lot better shape and used to packing it, as well as doing daily manual labor.

Pvt_Idaho
07-03-2006, 06:17 PM
I'd add to the list a canteen half--although mine is tied to my canteen rather than in my haversack. Handy for eating on, washing up with, cooking on and digging. It doesn't weigh much or take up space.

Audrey Scanlan

tenfed1861
07-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Yeah,I forgot about the shirt,socks,and canteen half.I feel like every reenactor should carry one.Hey,you never wear the same shirt or pair of socks at home,do ya'?
Cullen Smith

jda3rd
07-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Try this:
Load yourself up with all the goodies you might need, do a couple of events, and after every one, remove a few of the items you didn't touch all weekend, and the ones you were afraid you might lose because they would be hard to replace. Remember, your haversack is not your purse. It's your food storage and transportation device. Your personal items either go in your pockets, or in your knapsack somewhere.
The load would be different depending on the time of year, and the type of event.
I found carrying a briefcase for a while at work that the more you can carry, the more you will carry. I was toting around a good 8 to 10 lbs of stuff I never used. I no longer carry a briefcase. If it doesn't go in my pockets, it doesn't go with me. Same principle with reenacting gear. If you never use it, why carry the extra weight.
Which reminds me of the Bill Mauldin WW2 cartoon of Willie and Joe, where one advises the other to get rid of the extra weight he's carrying by throwing away the jokers from his deck of cards.
Frank

tompritchett
07-03-2006, 10:16 PM
"the shirt,socks,"

If you are campaigning the extra shirt, if you have one, the extra socks (strongly recommend) and such would either be in your knapsack or blanket roll. If you are tenting, such items are in your tent. Therefore there is no reason in either case for such extra clothing to be in the haversack.

VaTrooper
07-03-2006, 11:14 PM
--Done been fixed--

tompritchett
07-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Whoops, meant to say "knapsack or blanket roll". Original editted accordingly. Had the mental picture in my head as I was writing and then had an apparent attack of mental dyslexia. (Once went about two weeks in 2nd year Chemistry lab course called two different pieces of glassware by the opposite names even when I had them in my hands.)

bob 125th nysvi
07-05-2006, 07:03 PM
I consider essential otherwise I wouldn't have it.

The caveat is that I have to be able to carry it from the car from the parking field in one trip. If I add something I have to delete something to make room.

One of the compromises I make is a small plate in my haversack instead of a large. I don't drink coffee so the cup can serve as a plate. Its not a wieght issue its a space issue.

I hate the heat and sweat like a proverbial domesticated Arkansas Razorback so I carry three (YES THREE) shirts and three pairs of underdrawers. And too many pairs of socks.

1 blanket and 1 shelter-half.

I carry two oil clothes but no poncho.

About the only thing I carry that I haven't used is my set of dominoes. But they don't take up much room.

So personal items I carry include: toothbrush and powder, soap, towels, housewife, pocket knife, gun cleaning equipment (long list), candles, matches, extra laces, plate, canteen half, large cup, poncho clips, medical cards, utensils, cooking utensils, wooden mallet, extra rope and string. Of course the dominoes.

The two strictly modern items I carry are my emergency contact/medical cards and ear plugs covered with cottonballs.

Now the stuff gets spread out all over my body (pockets are great) and I can carry the load pretty easily as I weight in at about 230 pounds (in good shape). So even if I'm totaling 25 pounds its only 10% of my body weight.

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

Ol'Hickory
07-06-2006, 04:42 AM
I kept a spare jacket in my knapsack for a napoleonic weekend which I attended. I dident stay all weekend however, wasent my thing i'm not as interested in that as the ACW

Indyguy
07-07-2006, 07:32 AM
Harpers weekly repros are good for 2 or maybe more reasons, it can give you something period to talk about and , If you do Living histories the public something to look at.
I carry cards and a bible and Hardees book and I have several different Harpers that I can pass around to my pards , our officers usually have them and let us know what was said cuz i wasnt much for school.
Pocket knife is the best item to have many uses.
My best advice is keep it simple.

Big Irish Will

Ol'Hickory
07-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Yeah it'd be good having something period to read, I have some cards as well dated 1862..cant really play cards but a friend has been teaching me somethings but i'm..not good at all haha i'm a country lad and dont go to pubs or anything where people play cards.

Something period to talk about will also be good.

bob 125th nysvi
07-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Yeah it'd be good having something period to read, I have some cards as well dated 1862..cant really play cards but a friend has been teaching me somethings but i'm..not good at all haha i'm a country lad and dont go to pubs or anything where people play cards.

Something period to talk about will also be good.

cause if I'm not soldiering, eating, detailing, drilling or cleaning my equipment my moments are spent listening to the old salts or sleeping.

Don't got time to read.

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

Ol'Hickory
07-09-2006, 06:09 AM
I'll learn all these things, it'll be good to get out and away from the modern world for a bit.

Rob Weaver
07-25-2006, 08:33 PM
That answer will be different for different people, because they have differing ideas of what they need to be comfortable. I think we overpack because we have to carry our own gear. There was a unit in the AoP that boasted "We pack so light that one man carries the soap and the other the towel." We don't do that; we carry both. I think stuff breaks down into 4 categories:
1) to keep body together: extra socks, shirt, blanket, overcoat, sewing kit.
2) stuff to keep soul together: Testament
3) Stuff to eat: belongs in your haversack, unless you carry a lot of canned goods
4) stuff to stay entertained: this changes even for me. Musical instruments, games and reading material. I like newspapers and tracts because they wiegh next to nothing and pack flat. I prefer cards over checkers or chess because you can carry them in your pockets and they don't require a level surface. I like a mouth organ over a fiddle cuz, well, isn't that obvious. I pull this stuff out and look it over before each event. If it's a little event where I know I'll be interacting with the public, I may carry more, and different stuff. (Like my shaving gear. Shaving is a good demo. The little boys like the blood.) If it's an event where I'll be mostly marching and skirmishing, I'm not going to need that stuff.

Sgt. Rob Weaver
Pine River Boys
Co I 7th Wisconsin Volunteers