PDA

View Full Version : Educating the Medical Profession

hta1970
08-20-2008, 08:31 PM
I have been working on my first person, to include my background and education. Hank tripped me up about my "alma mater" At High Tide so I decided to read more and have been learning more about my first person background.

This includes learning about the physical sturcture of my "alma mater," the faculty, the course of study and even the books recommended by the faculty.

When investigating the books it seemed that these would be the ideal background material to improve my medical knowledge because these were not just published books, but ones which I could now directly associate with an american medical school prior to the war and thus ones known to have been studied by wartime physicians.

Has anyone else done anything like this?

funhistory
08-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Hello Harry,

I'm working on a similar project to provide background material on the two embalming surgeons that our curator and I have chosen to represent when we do first person. Research on my character has yielded some but not all information; however, our curator's character has proven to be much more difficult. As you've probably discovered, there is less latitude in presentation when you've chosen to portray a specific historic person.

I've spent quite a bit of time investigating the various medical schools that operated in 19th century Philadelphia. My character attended one of the Eclectic colleges, but unfortunately the college was discredited about 1870 after it was acquired and became a "diploma mill", and it and others were closed in 1881. Diligent contact in the medical archival community has failed to reveal whether any of the records have survived.

I believe that you're on the right path regarding a familiarization with the texts and courses of study at your alma mater, but I've also discovered that just as in modern education, a doctor could attend lectures at another college that could be applied toward matriculation at the alma mater.

I'd be happy to exchange any info that might be useful.

hta1970
08-21-2008, 11:56 PM
Jon,

Great to see someone else doing what I'm doing.

At my school they had a mandatory residency program and any graduate could legally practice in the state. They had annual exams and weekly optional exams which were highly recommended. Gradutation was based on grades and the students character. They had to get the approval of a majority of the faculty to graduate. A thesis was required for graduation and originally they were written in latin.