PDA

View Full Version : To the Berdan Sharp Shooters out there or any one who can help

cblodg
07-02-2006, 08:09 AM
Gents;

I came accross a Berdan Frock coat supplied with black general service buttons.

The Sutler Stores in England produces this garment, and I was wondering if any one has seen one in person? Is the color, construction, etc. correct? I have seen much darker green, but than again I've also seen the pictures of unused frocks, and were much lighter.

Here is the link: http://www.sutlers.co.uk/acatalog/Federal_Enlisted_Men_s_Coats.html

You'll have to scroll down a little ways, but I'd like to know your thoughts.

Chris

vicka
07-02-2006, 09:20 AM
As I looked at the photos of the English offerings, and prices, something seemed familiar. I looked up one of the Pakistani suppliers, N.A. Awan, and saw the same pictures listed in the Paki catalogue.
No where does it say that the goods offered in England are made in England. There may be some, but on the surface it appears the English are middlemen in this operation.
Priced as such, you get what you pay for...but then you knew that.
Steve Sullivan

Altecfive
07-02-2006, 09:38 AM
I have seen an officers frock and hat from the sharpshooters, my uncle owns it, so I have had the privilage of picking it up and actually feeling it. The buttons on the frock and the kepi were black rubber buttons, also his kepi had black officer braiding. Both the hat and the kepi were darker then what I see in that picture, and of course being that it is of an officer, it could have been private purchase. but, its tough to tell you how accurate it is without actually seeing it in person, and or the right photos to see the uniform more upclose.

indguard
07-02-2006, 11:24 AM
I once heard a conversation with Don Troiani (Yes, THAT one, the artist) and he said that it was a waste of time for anyone to ever try and make a reproduction of a Berdan's coat because no matter what they try they will never get the color right.

I found "never" to be a bit over the top as a comment, but he has an original and I get where he is comming from.

Kimmel
07-02-2006, 04:51 PM
I have seen an officers frock and hat from the sharpshooters, my uncle owns it, so I have had the privilage of picking it up and actually feeling it. The buttons on the frock and the kepi were black rubber buttons, also his kepi had black officer braiding. Both the hat and the kepi were darker then what I see in that picture, and of course being that it is of an officer, it could have been private purchase. but, its tough to tell you how accurate it is without actually seeing it in person, and or the right photos to see the uniform more upclose.

The frock and hat are original? If so WOW...
I am a Berdan and to me the frock looks good. I don't know the quality of the garment and I can't see the buttons. The buttons would have been hard rubber buttons made by Goodyear. The buttons on this frock could be blackened normal buttons, that is what mine are like. The rubber buttons made now are weak and tend to break with rigorus use i.e. tacticals etc... Besides the quality (which I can't see, so I'm not saying it bad) and the buttons (which I also cannot see) I'd say it looks pretty good.

Kimmel
07-02-2006, 04:54 PM
I once had a conversation with Don Troiani (Yes, THAT one, the artist) and he said that it was a waste of time for anyone to ever try and make a reproduction of a Berdan's coat because no matter what they try they will never get the color right.

I found "never" to be a bit over the top as a comment, but he has an original and I get where he is comming from.

It is hard to get the color right. The first frocks produced were and emerald like green. I believe some companies of the 2nd Regiment were issued a much duller green frock like an olive of forest green.

shoulderedarms1861
07-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Harry Harry Harry

Looks like ******************** to me....What do you want to go green fer anyway.. You need to do Reb with me..

Rob

cblodg
07-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Harry Harry Harry

Looks like ******************** to me....What do you want to go green fer anyway.. You need to do Reb with me..

Rob

Oh Rob;

I never said I wanted to go green. I'm actually looking into getting a grey kit together, just don't know where to start.

Also, you should have me Registration for Marlboro in the next couple of weeks.

Chris er Harry Potter

cblodg
07-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Harry Harry Harry

Rob

Oh Rob;

I never said I wanted to go green. I was just wondering as to the color and quality. I'm actually looking into getting a grey kit together, just don't know where to start.

Also, you should have me Registration for Marlboro in the next couple of weeks.

Chris er Harry Potter

Kimmel
07-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Harry Harry Harry

Rob

PEE- SHAW...

Footslogger
07-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Chris.

The photo's in the paki catalogue have been nicked from the Sutlers Stores website.Now down to the nitty gritty, as I am based in the UK and live about 40 mins drive from the Sutlers Stores and have had a few dealings with them I offer this advice, Stay away!!!.
While they make every effort to get you to part with your money delivery times are in excess of 8 weeks and thats if your in the UK.That coat would be a special purchase item not a stock item and as such you would need to make sure it fitted when you got it and the return time for correction is so tight once you got it your stuck with it, and the buttons did'nt fall off after the 1st time you wore it. It is a shame really as we had a really good service from them at one time but this service has deteriated over the years to such an extent that most of us go Stateside for most if not all our needs now. It is a shame I think they need to go back to grass roots and remember who us re-enactors who got them their reputation in the first place, instead of looking down on us as they do now. And they also also aim at the Mainstream element of the hobby

Regards

Ol'Hickory
07-03-2006, 01:28 PM
I ordered a confederate shell jacket from them for about 80 i think, took about a week to find me, wore it in very nice..and have learned that even at 18 my arms and i are still growing longer and taller _:oops: It is a good jacket but they took 2 months to send me my federal cap..not impressed at all.