PDA

View Full Version : Hello y'all

Ol'Hickory
07-02-2006, 04:20 AM
Hello!

I'm not sure if theres a welcome thing here but o'well, I'm Stu I'm 18 and English..i've been to Gettysburg and Antietam, and got a powerful effect from visiting the places i'd read so much about that oneday I hope to be able to live out there and also join a permanent reenactment group.

Glad to be here

cblodg
07-02-2006, 07:00 AM
Hello!

I'm not sure if theres a welcome thing here but o'well, I'm Stu I'm 18 and English..i've been to Gettysburg and Antietam, and got a powerful effect from visiting the places i'd read so much about that oneday I hope to be able to live out there and also join a permanent reenactment group.

Glad to be here

Well from what I've seen there is a pretty healthy ACW Reenacting groups in the UK. You could start by joining one of those groups. I believe several of them have made the trip to the 140th Antietam in 2002 and Gettysburg in 2003.

If you already are apart of a unit, which unit are you?

Welcome;

Chris

Footslogger
07-02-2006, 07:00 AM
Hi Stu
We have re-enactment groups in the UK Too, always looking for new recruits,
If you are looking for a UK based group contact me thru email at JBou293081@aol.com.

Regards
SteveB

Ol'Hickory
07-02-2006, 07:22 AM
I am not in a reenactment group yet, I do not drive so its not easy to move to meetings etc and also money is a problem too, I own most of the equipment apart from some 'vitals' a.k.a Mess ware, blanket or greatcoat and I do not own a weapon as I do not posses a license..the shoes are 95 which is expensive for me at the moment.

I'd love to do it though, and I always keep accuracy in mind like I wanted a federal cap instead of a grey one to go with a richmond dep. jacket (butternut colour with blue cuffs and coller) I replased the two eagle bottons with C.S.A

I spent $200 on a cartridge box and $75 on a cap pouch and $49.95 when I was in the Gettysburg last year in July.

I am tall, broad and can run fast when I want too so i'll be fine for double timing if theres a need for that.

If there was a group close i'd be in it but unfortunatly there is not.

Footslogger
07-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Stu,
I have replied to your PM, We can and do help out with lifts and stuff to and from events, we can also help out with loaner gear till you are on your feet, also musket is no big deal we have a couple of de-activated Enfields you can use till your licensed, although this is'nt probably the best place to chat about gun licences as our good freinds here don't need em, and we planning to do the big Gettysburg in 2008 (If the weather holds that is I could'nt face another Boyds).
If you are that keen you've already started buying kit then get in touch my email was in the 1st PM I sent.
Check our website its www.volunteercompany.co.uk some of its out of date but the main info is still current
Regards
SteveB

Ol'Hickory
07-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Wow thanks!

Honestly, everyone has a dream some dream of a yacht or of winnig the lottery..mine is obvious, my friends think i'm insaine for saying that i'd love to go back in time to 1861 and i'd join asap.

Its my paramount interest and yes my hearts in the hobby, thanks..hopefully i'll see you down in colchester sometime, when is the reenactment?

Footslogger
07-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Stu the Colchester date is in the PM, If you are interested then I think it would be best if we got in contact through email, you have mine, as I don't think this is the place to discuss and finalise everything.
Hope to hear from you soon,
Regards
SteveB.

Ol'Hickory
07-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Yes I have e-mailed..as i said i hope it works out! I am an extremely enthusiastic person and mentally will be bouncing off the walls!! haha but i'll maintain a cool calm exterior and presence and try to do my best accuratly and, historicaly

VaTrooper
07-02-2006, 11:59 AM
You gotta have a license to carry a musket in the UK? That bites.

Ol'Hickory
07-02-2006, 12:00 PM

Yes, any blank firering weapon like a colt or musket, it does bite BUT is a tad safer..although in high school I done a presentation on the ACW and fired a sharps carbine and also a springfield rifled musket..which fell apart (the hammer broke)

bob 125th nysvi
07-02-2006, 01:20 PM
You gotta have a license to carry a musket in the UK? That bites.

in '08 and you'll ned one here too.

Just different gov't styles. Applying for one in jolly ole' England probably ain't much different than getting your pistol permit here in NY. Actually NY is funny about black powder pistols. I can buy the gun without a license in state but I can't buy the ammo.

I guess the pols never heard of mail order and making your own cartridges.

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

VaTrooper
07-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Need one as in the US or just NY?

Footslogger
07-02-2006, 02:07 PM
It ain't just the gun in the UK you need a licence for, It is easier to get a shotgun licence over here than a fire arms certificate, that is why most of our BP muskets are smooth bored to get them on shotgun certificates. Also unlike you guy's we have to have a unit powder monkey as if we store Black powder we must licence our premises and we must also hold an acquire and keep certificate to be able to keep the powder and we must also obtain a recipient competent authority document to allow us to transport the powder from A to B, all troops just getting powder for events must have an acquire only certificate to draw ammo at the event and hand it back to the powder monkey at the end of the event, so us poor powder monkeys have to make sure we have enough rounds made up and packaged to cover the event. Is it worth it? you betcha!!!.
SteveB

VaTrooper
07-02-2006, 02:33 PM
God bless the USA.

Pvt_Idaho
07-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Roundhead or a Cavalier (-;

A hearty welcome from across the pond.

I am surprised at the draw the American Civil War holds for Europeans as your history is so rich. But perhaps I should not be so surprised given that I am a Western European medieval historian living in the US. Perhaps a swap is in order???? God has a sense of humour....

All the Best,

Audrey Scanlan

Footslogger
07-02-2006, 02:51 PM
Roundhead, My Ancestor was General Eyre in Cromwells Army, Eyre Square in Dublin is named after him and there is a church just off the square with the hoof prints of his and mens horses in the floor.And here I am re-enacting the ACW, The only period I re-enact, yes God does have a sense of humour.

SteveB.

VaTrooper
07-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Roundhead or a Cavalier (-;

A hearty welcome from across the pond.

I am surprised at the draw the American Civil War holds for Europeans as your history is so rich. But perhaps I should not be so surprised given that I am a Western European medieval historian living in the US. Perhaps a swap is in order???? God has a sense of humour....

All the Best,

Audrey Scanlan

Japan too Im told.

TeamsterPhil
07-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Stu,

You can't go wrong hooking up with the Lazy Jacks. I met a few of them at Corinth, Mississippi last season and they are are top rail.

Phil Campbell
Chicken Neck Mess
SMA Mess
Army of the Trans-Mississippi
Army of the Pacific
Winston Free State (guilty by association)
UPYOURS
"commander", Ad Hoc A Loogie Company
OTB Goon Squad

Pvt_Idaho
07-02-2006, 05:15 PM
I am curious to know what sparks an interest in American Civil War history, especially for those who are not from the US. Travel to battlefields? movies? books? American history classes? Travel to Ireland and England as a teenager was responsible for my interest in medieval history.

Living in a town where Americans, Union and Confederate, marched, fought, and died in the Civil War, along with a chance meeting and terrific conversation with a Civil War historian at Antietam at the 140th anniversary of that battle and spectating at the 140th Antietam reenactment after being woken up by the artillery barage of the Cornfield battle started me down the ACW path.

With Regards,

Audrey Scanlan

Ol'Hickory
07-03-2006, 04:22 AM
I cant really remeber how I got into the ACW, well, it started with my old sceince teacher used to reenact the Napoleonic wars, and I think oneday I attended and an ACW Confederate was there and I liked the look of the unfiorm..I read more about the political side of things then about combat and was horrified to find out why they used built up formations when they had accurate artillery and musket fire and also the amount of hand-to-hand fighting cases listed down!

I watched some doc's..saw Gettysburg Gods and Generals, went to Gettysburg Harpers ferry Antietam and travelled round Virginia and further south and something clicked in my brain. When I stood at the bottom of the TF (Triangular field) (I think near rose wood) I looked up and little round top is further right, and devils den ahead..It clicked and I havent felt the same since I came back from there a year ago.

You may say the very soil calls my name, the wind carries a soft whisper..a supernatural force beckonning me to return to where I truly and always will belong!;)

I am curious to know what sparks an interest in American Civil War history, especially for those who are not from the US. Travel to battlefields? movies? books? American history classes? Travel to Ireland and England as a teenager was responsible for my interest in medieval history.

Living in a town where Americans, Union and Confederate, marched, fought, and died in the Civil War, along with a chance meeting and terrific conversation with a Civil War historian at Antietam at the 140th anniversary of that battle and spectating at the 140th Antietam reenactment after being woken up by the artillery barage of the Cornfield battle started me down the ACW path.

With Regards,

Audrey Scanlan